IanRosenvinge

DZ Tools JumpRun! Windows 7 Compatability

Whilst our copy of JumpRun 4 ran on Vista ok I am having problems installing it on a new Windows 7 machine - any solutions out there? Would upgrade to JumpRun 5 if that were to provide a solution - tried DZ Tools but they didn't believe 4 or 5 were compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. We have used it on Vista for past 2 years by turning off the User Account Control Setting - so where theres a will theres a way. Any help appreciated.

Regards

Ian Rosenvinge
Peterlee Parachute Centre
UK

Whilst our copy of JumpRun 4 ran on Vista ok I am having problems installing it on a new Windows 7 machine - any solutions out there? Would upgrade to JumpRun 5 if that were to provide a solution - tried DZ Tools but they didn't believe 4 or 5 were compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. We have used it on Vista for past 2 years by turning off the User Account Control Setting - so where theres a will theres a way. Any help appreciated.

Regards

Ian Rosenvinge
Peterlee Parachute Centre
UK

What version of windows 7 are you using? I'm not sure which version has "XP Mode" (where it runs inside a VM), but that might be a solution.

JumpRun5 runs a full SQL database using the desktop version, but the client apps are still very similar to 4 I think.

If 4 does not run on W7, I would think 5 might be even a larger challenge. SOme things you simply cannot 'crowbar' into working.

We have windows 7 professional with compatability mode but still no joy with jumprun 4, may try & get a copy of jumprun 5 & see if that will work

If anyone else has any advice/solutions grateful to hear them

Regards

Ian R

JumpRun 4.0 and 5.0 use nearly the same architecture, just different code and dataschema. It's likely only the installation application itself that is not allowing the install to take place because there is no reason why the jumprun binaries should not run on windows 7. If you're technically savvy you may try manually registering the required dlls.

Just curious, are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? This is an entirely different issue.

Other options include running JumpRun on a server and then using remote desktop or citrix to connect to it on a windows 7 machine, or setting up jumprun inside a virtual machine.

You could also, of course, consider moving to a more modern manifest application, like the product described at www.realdropzone.com
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I have never installed JumpRun, but I am a programmer myself and we also install PCs and networks for our customers. I would try the following:

1) Most of the problems that come with older software are due to UAC.
People sometimes suggest to just turn UAC off, but that is normally not a good advice. UAC is a good thing to protect your PC from malicious software.
The better way is to simply install the older application in a folder other than the default program folder.
E.g. use c:\program files.old\JumpRun for your old software. That will resolve most of the problems caused by UAC.

2) Another thing you can try is to run the installer as well as the software itself as administrator / in administrator context. For that right click the application and choose "Run as administrator" (you even need to do this if you are logged in as Administrator, again due to UAC)

3) Then you can try the different compatibility settings for running an application (do not confuse this with the XP mode, see below). You find those on the properties tab "Compatibility" of the apllication (right click application and choose "Properties", then select the tab "Compatibility")

4) If you are using Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional you can download and install XP Mode. That will give you a virtual PC running Windows XP.

5) Last but not least you can use Virtual PC to setup you own virtual machine running whatever Windows you need. Virtual PC can be downloaded for free from Microsoft and is the technique that is used by the XP-Mode. This way you can build your own XP-Mode even if your Windows 7 version does not include the original XP-Mode (although you will need a separate license for Windows XP)

I hope I was able to point you in the right direction. Until now we were able to get 95 % of older software running using one or more of the described methods. Good luck !

However you could also switch to a modern manifesting software like DZ-Manager, a manifesting software that is on the market since 2005 and is used at over 50 drop zones worldwide.

More info about Fast Slots / self manifesting using DZ-Manager can be found here.

If you have questions you are welcome to contact Start Skydiving our us, the company that produces DZ-Manager.

Blue skies
mySkydive - The new German portal for skydivers
DZ-Manager - The sexy manifesting software

What error are you exactly getting?

Although I won't be able to get to a JR4 installation for several months (am in the US for an internship) but I can get JR5 and try it on my Win 7 ultimate laptop. (have a VPN connection with my DZ). I'll let you know if that runs.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Hey Matt,

Are you still in business? You're not repling email and the phone seems disconnected?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Nice to see alternatives!

We're running JR5 at the moment and looking for an upgrade at the end of this season. I'll look into your solution...

Take a look at 'the new kid on the block'. J-Jump 2010 is coming out soon. J-Jump has been working in a drop zone for 4 years now.

It runs on Windows XP through Windows 7, and on MacOS X. In fact you can run it on both systems simultaneously.

We are just finishing up this new version, and putting it up on the web site. www.jonoke.com/J-Jump/About.htm.

It is written using modern tools, for modern computers. Jonoke writes software for medical organizations. Therefore we are used to high availability systems, with backup, multiple users etc.

Best way to contact Jonoke is [email protected]

Jody

Take a look at 'the new kid on the block'. J-Jump 2010 is coming out soon. J-Jump has been working in a drop zone for 4 years now.

It runs on Windows XP through Windows 7, and on MacOS X. In fact you can run it on both systems simultaneously.

We are just finishing up this new version, and putting it up on the web site.
www.jonoke.com/J-Jump/About.htm

It is written using modern tools, for modern computers. Jonoke writes software for medical organizations. Therefore we are used to high availability systems, with backup, multiple users etc.

Best way to contact Jonoke is [email protected]

Jody

Link is a clicky now www.jonoke.com/J-Jump/About.htm
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy