MomDaBomb

Slider

Tying?
You mean making it smaler? (with strings or velcro)

Its because the slider acts as a brake slowing down your forward speed. Just as a pilotchute does.
The forward speed is your friend as long as you can control it, because you can use it to get lift (softer landings)

Unless you are a student i think its a good thing you collaps the slider.

Open, collaps slider, then release the breaks.

it reduces the FLOPFLOPFLOPFLOPFLOPFLOP sound of the slider to a lighter flipflipflipflipflip sound.

There is also a slight aerodynamical advantage, which will be useful later on smaller canopies, combined with a couple of other manoeuvres such as pulling the slider down past the toggles and loosening the chest strap.

As you mentionned, you should not be trying this for the moment
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

As you mentionned, you should not be trying this for the moment

It's not such a big deal, is it? I do it on every jump (after checking airspace, canopy and spot, of course). My instructors never told me I shouldn't. Is there any reason not to do it at my level of experience?
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

There really isn't...

It's no big deal at all (specially on big canopies) if you're not doing any high performance manoeuvers with your risers on a smaller canopy..

It doesn't really affect the flight performance on big canopies (not that you could feel that anyway), only reduces the annoying flop flop sound..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

It doesn't really affect the flight performance on big canopies (not that you could feel that anyway), only reduces the annoying flop flop sound..

You're completely missing the point. Making the annoying sound go away is not the purpose. That flop flopping of the slider wears the lines where the slider is sitting. Collapsing it reduces line wear. A quieter ride is a nice side effect.

Dave

There really isn't...

It's no big deal at all (specially on big canopies) if you're not doing any high performance manoeuvers with your risers on a smaller canopy..

And to expand on what Dave said about wear and tear of lines, it helps to be able to hear under canopy.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

and it stops the flip flop flip flop, dont care bout nothin else...night jumps i dont collapse it

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you WANT it to be noisy on night jumps so that other jumpers in the air at the same time will be able to hear you and therefore know where you are?

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you WANT it to be noisy on night jumps so that other jumpers in the air at the same time will be able to hear you and therefore know where you are?

However, the side effect would be you can't hear them???? I don’t mean to blast you, I’m just curious why you wouldn't collapse the slider on a night jump? :)
I could understand why you would NOT collapse your slider in the rain… the umbrella effect! ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'm not going to try it. I'm just curious.....What is the purpose of tying the slider after you open?

Are you asking about collapsing the slider?

That's when you pull the lines that run through it to make it smaller, and is what most of the answers are addressing. Nothing wrong with you doing that.

Or are you referring to the swooper practice of tying it out of the way after it is collapsed?
That's something the really high performance guys do, and depending on how they tie it off has risks (the ball and rubberband).

They do that because it reduces the aerodynamic drag. Not by much, but at that level of performance, every little bit helps.
That's why the serious swoopers use a RDS (Removable Deployment System) that actually disconnects the slider, pilot chute and D-bag to reduce drag as much as possible (not there is less drag than tied off)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

However, the side effect would be you can't hear them???? I don’t mean to blast you, I’m just curious why you wouldn't collapse the slider on a night jump? :)
I could understand why you would NOT collapse your slider in the rain… the umbrella effect! ;)

Jbag is the one that said that, and I was surmising what his reason might be.

I depend upon my strobe and chem-lights for others to see me at night.
I want my slider cinched soundless, so that I am able to hear other canopies which might be nearby.