robskydiv

Lodi Jumpers

Yes, there have been people that have landed in the vineyards there. I did AFF there and was told that if I had nowhere to land but the vineyards, I had to make sure I landed in line between the rows!!
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I stand corrected. Yes indeed I-99. Small Dz but affordable.

It's SR-99, not I-99. Big difference in the exits.

But to answer your question, I landed over on the east side of SR-99 in the grapes many moons ago (on one the access roads).
No big deal.
All the grape fields have access roads that you can easily land on, no matter which way the wind is blowing.

Lemme tell you about this one exit that happened back in 93.
Bill had his group in the porter to exit before our 4-way team.
Now, one guy on our team habitually pulled low- like around 1500ft. Let's call him 'Andy'.
Bill did not particularly like Andy pulling low all the time.
So this one day, Stretch was flying the porter, Bill was first pass, as usual.
Bill and his group climb out.
Then Bill pokes his head back inside the plane to converse with Andy.
He says to Andy "You know Andy, you can't pull low on this jump because your spot is going to be way long."
Andy says "Well, hurry up and exit then"
Bill retorts back "Hey Andy, you know I don't like you pulling low. You know that might mean your team can't jump here anymore."
Andy says "Well, we'll just go to skydance."
Bill says, "Yeah, but that's gonna cost you guys a bunch more money."
Andy says, "Will you just exit now Bill - our spot is going to shit."
(by this time Bill and his group had been out on the step for about 30 seconds.)
Bill says "Andy will you pull above two thousand on this jump?"
Andy says 'yeah - just get the fuck out."
Bill pulls himself back out to the center floater slot and gives the count for his group.
They exit and all of us immediately stick our head out the door to check the spot.
We are right over the top of the DZ! They exited as they crossed the highway (SR-99).
We waited another few seconds before starting our climb out.
Andy pulled above 2k the rest of the summer.

Now that's planning.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I've only ever made one visit to Lodi, where I made 3 jumps. But I learned really fast what's needed to land there. Not only did Bill personally welcome me and take me outside to point out the pattern, but the people I jumped with gave me another briefing with the aerial photo. Then again on the ride up, they took the time to point out the dropzone and surrounding features (hint: the airport is located exactly where 99 takes a slight dog leg).

My personal impression, from one short visit, is that Lodi jumpers are some of the most pattern disciplined canopy fliers I've seen anywhere. They're also quite comfortable with flying in close together on final, because they need to be. I decided to trust the locals and was not disappointed. But Lodi's not "that" tight either, there are some large flat fields on the airport surrounding the dropzone that offer perfectly safe outs, if your pride can handle missing the dropzone itself.

While I'm at it, Merry Christmas to all of you up at Lodi and thanks again for my short but fun visit. I've still got a ticket burning a hole in my pocket !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If you land south and opt for a dirt road between the main landing area and Peltier rd- be less afraid of the grape vines/stakes and more concerned with the size XXXXL Pteranodon hiding in the big tree there. It's ruthless...

I've been told it was a large hawk that attacked me (and others recently), but i got a photo of it, see attached.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Yes, there have been people that have landed in the vineyards there. I did AFF there and was told that if I had nowhere to land but the vineyards, I had to make sure I landed in line between the rows!!

It sure beats landing on the Hwy!

No, it doesn't. The highway only has cars going 80 mph. The vineyard has poles that will impale you up the wazoo, with wires strung between them that will slice you to ribbons. I'd rather chance the highway.

No, it doesn't. The highway only has cars going 80 mph. The vineyard has poles that will impale you up the wazoo, with wires strung between them that will slice you to ribbons. I'd rather chance the highway.

You might change your tune when you see these areas in person. While the vineyards are not ideal, they offer fairly wide dirt roads in and through them, few trees, and the stakes run in an orderly fashion with room in between them to land (if absolutely necessary). The State Road 99 offers limited shoulders of gravel and junk, a median of concrete K-rail and asphalt with very little room between you and the vehicles, lots of large fast moving tractor trailers with rearview mirrors that would love to snag a just-landed canopy, and the road runs perpendicular to the prevailing winds. Oh, and the highway has a few power lines that run across it as well.

I've jumped there over twenty years and would never take the highway over the grapestakes. There are lots of places to land that are not grapefied, but really you should just land in the main landing area or the student field, then you don't have to make any decisions!

Jump more, post less!

Have you ever actually jumped there?

I think I've landed out 3 times at Lodi...once on a wide dirt road, once on a somwhat narrower "road" (e.g. 4-wheeler path), and once in the vines (crosswind at that). It can be intimidating, but isn't too bad if you calmly do what needs to be done.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hey Guy's,

I read on here a while back that Lodi had all its planes grounded by the FAA, i understand that there leased from a seperate company? Is the DZ still open to jump? I know a few teams from the UK coming over to Lodi to make use of the cheap jump rates for our team training in Feb and Apr.
Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Thanks.
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!