heidihagen

finding your e.p. handles in freefall

do you?

i locate my handles before exiting, but that's not what i'm asking. if this has already been asked- sorry, i did a search & nothing came up.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I think, that any quasi-drastic changes occur when you're hanging in the harness or during deployment.

what about a total mal?

edit: oops. i forgot to list canopy as an option in the poll and i can't change it.
i guess i just assume if my canopy is so bad it needs to go, it will be closer to being in free fall (w/ shifting)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I have done touches in freefall on solo's.... my rig was made to my measurements and they are always right where they are on the ground (give or take a centimeter or so)

under canopy is a different story, next jump get open and without looking at them - reach for them, they wont be quite where your muscle memory tells you they should be.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

right, they're up by my chin under canopy. i haven't felt in freefall yet because i'm not sure how sensitive they are.. if that makes sense.

up by your chin .....hmmm, unless that is a rig I am not familiar with (with handles much higher than a typical sport rig) -- that is a really poor fitting rig (for you)...... do they have anything that fits you better?

Roy

edit to add: under canopy my handles are about 1-2 inches higher than on the ground or in freefall
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

it fits, i "sink" after deployment. i don't expect rentals to fit the same as custom, but i know where the handles are:)thanks for the votes everyone... looks like half and half.

I touch them occasionally in freefall to reinforce the practice on the ground and under canopy -

Try This:: Put your hands on your handles in freefall and FLY that way for a bit - Maintain a heading, do some 90's, etc.

I'm a fun-lovin' criminal - -

Easy Does It

i have such a giant head, my chest strap would never let that happen!:D
seriously though- i'll make sure i ask about it, the thought never crossed my mind. thanks roy :)
this is partially what prompted the question: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1515845;page=7;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#1526421 -- and also the thread that came up in my search.
pages 7 and 8 make it sound like more people locate their handles in freefall occasionally, because they do shift around. it's wednesday, so the weekend is kind of almost here.. i can wait and ask.
i was just curious what everyone else does (or doesn't do)

Anyway I would not even touch those midair if they are in place.

Being able to touch of your handles, pc and reserve handle, is something you want to practice while remaining stable during freefall.
If you have a hard/no pull on your main pc, you'd better be in practice and able to remain stable for pulling your reserve handle.
Touching them in freefall isn't going to dislodge them unless you pull on them. The velcro should be good enough for them to remain secure, if not get the velcro on the harness replaced immediately and do not jump the gear!

I consider them as a handgun don't touch or don't take them out unless you do use it.

That has to be one of the craziest thing I've heard. :S

Regardless of your silly analogy, KNOWLEDGE is key to keeping you alive!
KNOW how it works! KNOW where the handles are at!
When it comes time to use them you'll have no douts you'll be able to use them in a timely lifesaving manner. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Have never touched them in freefall - except once when I had a high speed mal. They were exactly where I expected them to be. Seems to me like touching them in freefall is only useful for high speed mals.
Won't they will be in a different place with an open canopy malfunction like a spinner or a line over?

What about your chest strap? Try tightening your leg straps- that should help with the "slippage". My wings wasn't custom made, and although its a very comfortable rig, I do need to keep leg straps very tight to keep the chest strap from "strangling" me.

My handles? I do *try* to check but I'll admit its been a while. I use the "brail" method- start at the top of the harness and run my hands down. Works for me!

i have such a giant head, my chest strap would never let that happen!:D
seriously though- i'll make sure i ask about it, the thought never crossed my mind. thanks roy :)

One other thing to possibly point out not only for you but other smaller jumpers with bigger rigs. If you have a harness that the chest strap comes up to your head/neck...if you have a hard ass opening, you can run the risk of breaking your neck [:/]

Properly fitting gear is a safetly thing. Yes most of the time as students short torso's hve issues with the student gear fitting. I was lucky as I jumped at at DZ that had small rigs too! So I didnt have to worry about it, but it can happen with gear that is too big.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto