shah269

Going back.

OK! The right leg is 90% (small little argument with mother earth regarding right of way left me with a rod in my right tib) now how to do get back in?
I was in the process of getting my A license.
I was on jump #8, left 360, right 360.....track forward, pull back.
I know it sounds dumb but I'm actually an ok belly flopper :P and so I'm sure I could be stable with out much issue. But I would like to ask those who have had years of experience in this sport and have seen people come back from injury.
In all seriousness what should I do?
Should I do one tandem to regain the basics?
Or should I go back to the last jump?

I'm planning on sitting in on a ground school session to refresh and to remember all the emergency procedures. I've read Mr. Germains book and now %60 can visualize my landings. Though the last 20ft is still a blur.

What are your suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Well you missed Safety Day last Saturday at The Ranch, so that's not so good. A refresher on safety would have been good.

Otherwise, make a reservation for a weekday and plan to spend a whole day getting current. You instructor will tell you what you need to do in the air.

These questions should be answered by the DZ that you are training at. Most likely would at least have to repeat the last level completed prior to the injury

Which is fine by me. Nothing wrong with more training.
But I guess I should have been clearer in my question.

How should I deal with the fact that one leg is less then the other. Any suggestions for recovery.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

How should I deal with the fact that one leg is less then the other. Any suggestions for recovery.

here's what i did in a similar situation: after getting hardware to repair my left tib and fib in may of 09. i did all the rehab exercises my doc recommended, and followed all his instructions. and i still waited an extra month after he cleared me to return just to be sure.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

That's a very good question. As you know, symmetry is incredibly important in skydiving. I would suggest you break your other leg just to be safe. Of course if you're a pussy and can't do it yourself you can always have someone else do it for you.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

OK! The right leg is 90% (small little argument with mother earth regarding right of way left me with a rod in my right tib) now how to do get back in?
I was in the process of getting my A license.
I was on jump #8, left 360, right 360.....track forward, pull back.
I know it sounds dumb but I'm actually an ok belly flopper :P and so I'm sure I could be stable with out much issue. But I would like to ask those who have had years of experience in this sport and have seen people come back from injury.
In all seriousness what should I do?
Should I do one tandem to regain the basics?
Or should I go back to the last jump?

I'm planning on sitting in on a ground school session to refresh and to remember all the emergency procedures. I've read Mr. Germains book and now %60 can visualize my landings. Though the last 20ft is still a blur.

What are your suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Shah

SUGGESTION

That's a very good question. As you know, symmetry is incredibly important in skydiving. I would suggest you break your other leg just to be safe. Of course if you're a pussy and can't do it yourself you can always have someone else do it for you.

Best answer yet!:D:ph34r::ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Yeah I'm thinking of hitting the SV tunnel in Montreal later this month.
But what are your thoughts about doing a tandem? Worth it?

What exactly went wrong on your landing? Just curious.

Turns out flare doesn't mean your hands down to your knees. So the student gear was a little tweaked.
That and.....my PLF sucked and caught the inside right part of my right foot and well crunchy spinny ouchy.
Turns out from talking to my friends, all of my landings were "crash landings". I just didn't know any better that "full" flare was suppose to be gut height not knee height.

Which Germaine book do you have?

In Parachute and Its Pilot, there is a huge amount of discussion regarding landings.

Flaring isn't defined as a length of a toggle stroke.. it's a dynamic process that requires processing of and reacting to what is going on in flight during landing.

That is why it is so important to practice flares up high, so that you can feel what toggle position/speed of stoke does to your canopy's flight.

Anyway, I'm new to all of this, but I can say def. check out Parachute and Its Pilot if you haven't yet..

Good luck man! Congrats on getting back into things!

Parachute and Its Pilot
Well let's put it this way, i was practicing up in the air....and even up there for "full" flare my hands were by my knees.....hey things stretch.
So when i needed FULL OH CRAP! my hands didn't make the trip from my ears to my knees fast enough.
But I'm told the new gear wont' have this problem.
I've also asked a few friends to shoot me some landing videos which have really helped.

Parachute and Its Pilot
Well let's put it this way, i was practicing up in the air....and even up there for "full" flare my hands were by my knees.....hey things stretch.
So when i needed FULL OH CRAP! my hands didn't make the trip from my ears to my knees fast enough.
But I'm told the new gear wont' have this problem.
I've also asked a few friends to shoot me some landing videos which have really helped.

DUUUUUUDE

You need to post those.. all of us old fat chicks.. want to watch those landings :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Let's see if I have the facts...
You're returning to the sport,
7 jumps,
You've been having landing problems,
Next jump is on new gear,
And all this you want to attack with a leg that is 90%...

The human body is a marvelous thing! Give it time and it will heal. My suggestion (and I speak from experience on this one) would be to wait until the leg is 110%. IMHO B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Well the leg is %90 in that I'm an office jockey.
I can only get go much "jogging" time on any given day.
And that's where the other %10 lies, not with strength but with mental acuity of knowing my leg is "fine".
Let's just call it nerves.
As for the new gear, yes the old gear is now condemned....the instructor who weighs a solid 50lbs less than me had to "PLF" it due to "it" not "working".
Again I'm new so I not sure what that means other than...."Dude....it has no flare!"
As for the "new" gear, I actually jumped it last summer.
And was amazed at how soft the landing was....but here is the insane part....I wasn't use to it.
while the "questionable" rig hand a landing slope of \ the "new" gear actually had lift and flair and thus had a much more shallow landing angle which at that time I was not use to nor expected and for some dumb reason decided not to use since I was so use to my "look down, and land" landings.
So watching my friends videos (head cams) has really helped me understand not only the height of flare but also how the landing process is suppose to look

ultima ii is on it's way.
This way i can keep my eyes from my hand and on the field =)