nomal2day

Question on appendix recovery time

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I was fortunate/ unfortunate (depending on your timeline viewpoint!) to have my inflamed appendix removed a few days ago, and am now recovering. The surgeon was excellent and highly experienced, and provided me with ample time to ask several questions.

However, being in Saudi Arabia, he has never been exposed to skydiving; private aircraft are effectively illegal here, so jump planes and dropzones don't exist. When he said to take it easy on sport for a while, I asked how long before jumping again, as I have a trip back to Texas slated for later this month and one to Washington next month. He asked whether it was a 'serious' sport (meaning as in heavy exertion etc), which was a bit difficult to answer when one considers all the possible parameters. He asked how it compared to tennis as a sport, and I said it contained less exertion than fit tennis. He then advised me not to jump for at least 3 months.....

I would like to know from other jumpers who have cutaway their appendixes, how long their actual recovery time was before they were completely confident in doing another jump. Also if any doctors or sports doctors might read this, I would appreciate a professional experienced opinion greatly as well.

The information is just for reference; I know everybody recovers at different rates and what is good for the goose may not be good for the gander; nor will I take any opinion as gospel. But please do respond!

For additional information, I jump a pretty docile 7-cell PD Storm 190 loaded at about 1.2-1.3, have 242 jumps with 200 on the Storm.

Thanks very much in advance! Blue skies to all...
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Hi Paul, good question, I should have added that. It is a 'full-size' cut. I haven't seen it from under the dressing yet, but the surgeon said 'about 5 centimeters'.

Thanks!

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Hi Paul, good question, I should have added that. It is a 'full-size' cut. I haven't seen it from under the dressing yet, but the surgeon said 'about 5 centimeters'.

Thanks!

Wait. Probably a long time.

That "full size cut" went through your abdominal wall muscles. They will take a while to heal, and if you tear them before they fully heal it will be a fairly serious situation.

It's going to be a long time before you can do sit-ups without pain. That is one possible measure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thank you very much for all who took the time to reply; I appreciate it. I look forward to jumping again when this is all behind me, and I see that it will be quite some time before it is safe to do so.

Blue skies to all!