goobersnuftda

Looking for Weight & Balance sheet for 182 w/STOL

Hello:

Our Cessna 182 has the Horton STOL kit installed and I'm looking for a blank weight & balance sheet the pilots can fill out.

I have the normal chart/graph that came with the plane but with the STOL kit, that makes it a different CofG chart and X-wing does not provide a chart for that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
please email to [email protected]

Thanks so much

We’re talking about skydiving here; you’re on the wrong website.

Just joking, but seriously this will get answered within 5 minutes on the GA aviation forum of www.pprune.org

It’s the pilot’s equivalent of “dropzone.com” They’re seriously pedantic over there and will probably tell you more than you ever cared about your STOL kit.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I could be wrong, but I doubt the STOL kit changes the CG limits. Does it give a gross weight increase? I'm guessing that nothing changes other than the empty weight CG. If you have the plane's weight and balance data, you just use the normal chart and plug in the actual empty weight and CG (like normal).

Dave

Different wing cambers can shift the center of pressure forward or aft.

That would affect trim but not the derivatives of pitching moment which (along with tail volume coefficient) is what determines stability. The Aerodynamic Center (or neutral point) is not the same as the CP, and is in much the same place for all subsonic airfoils.

Now, if the STOL kit changes the wing planform much, that could shift the neutral point.

Another issue is that the wing needs to stall before the tail.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Most STOL kits change the wing planform by extending the leading edge - forward.
Most STOL kits also change wing camber, which changes how the center of lift moves forward and aft as angle of attack (pitch) changes.
Most STOL its also include new wing tips. Whether new wing tips increase lift or merely improve aileron control is the start of a rousing debate. But the key issue is that new wing tips always change the stall characteristics.

For example, the Sportsman STOL kit increases the wing area - by extending the leading edge - and changes the wing angle of incidence - by spacers at the wing spar attachment points.
These significant wing changes move the center of lift forward and consequently change the tail moment arm and volume.

Which brings us back to the original poster's point: when flying an airplane with an after-market STOL kit, pilots should refer to the weight and balance chart that came with the STC.

Most STOL kits change the wing planform by extending the leading edge - forward.
Most STOL kits also change wing camber, which changes how the center of lift moves forward and aft as angle of attack (pitch) changes.
Most STOL its also include new wing tips. Whether new wing tips increase lift or merely improve aileron control is the start of a rousing debate. But the key issue is that new wing tips always change the stall characteristics.

For example, the Sportsman STOL kit increases the wing area - by extending the leading edge - and changes the wing angle of incidence - by spacers at the wing spar attachment points.
These significant wing changes move the center of lift forward and consequently change the tail moment arm and volume.

Which brings us back to the original poster's point: when flying an airplane with an after-market STOL kit, pilots should refer to the weight and balance chart that came with the STC.

I realize that this is fine-scale nitpicking, but the center of lift is NOT the same as the aerodynamic center of an airfoil. The position of the center of lift (or pressure) relative to the CG determines the trim, and the position of the aerodynamic center (which is the location at which pitching moments are independent of angle of attack) relative to the CG determines the stability.

However, it is certainly true that the STOL kit STC should include any necessary changes to the W&B

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You don't identify the model year of your 182 that has been modified by the WingX STOL STC, but most do receive a GTOW increase. Mine was 400 lb., which is clearly reflected on the revised W & B info that came with the STC and is now part of my a/c logs and records. My Sportsman STOL kit, on the other hand, had no official impact on the W & B calcs. Go back to your STC data for the answer. You need this info and if you don't have it, contact the STC holder(s). I'm sure you want your paperwork right in the event someone wants to look at it someday :)
Isn't it cool having the extra capacity & performance?

Randy

That info should have been installed in the books when the stol kit was installed. If the c.g was changed.
look in the airframe log and find out who put the kit in and find out this info and why no new c.g. info was added if it changed the c.g. there should be a 337 on i
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Look at the Weight and Balance paper work. WingX and Sportsman / Horton / etc. will required a change to the empty weight and empty weight cg and in the Wing X case on a 182 a gross weight increase. I know that the WingX and Sportsman do not increase the forward or aft limit of the CG envelope.