freakboy066

SPEEDFLIERS

OK, let me see if I understand all this... The little red pills are not needed for speed flying. And, I shouldn't be asking this question here because there are better places to be a smart ass? Is that about it?:)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Well silly me, I thought this was "DZ.Com The single best source for skydiving information".

Speedflying and speedriding aren't skydiving;)

Then why are we discussing it in “General Skydiving Discussions:”?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Accually, I’ve found this interesting. I’ve always wondered about launching my canopy on a hillside. We have a few nearby, no mountains really, but gentle slopes with possibilitys. It seems this might be a good activity for ski resorts that are closed for the season.

I’d pay a lift ticket for a ride back to the top. Plus, It might expose some to canopy flight and eventually jumping. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all those little red pills??

Why is it when someone post a question on this site that it turns in to a bitch fest?That's why I don't like to post on here very much.All I did was ask a freakin question.Who cares if it's not skydiving.Grow up people.

bro I'm with ya, but both still post here. super lame. we're super lame.

Plus, It might expose some to canopy flight and eventually jumping.

Wrong way round. Get them jumping first, then competent at canopy flight, then let them play with the big, hard ball of dirt. ;)

You're right about off-season ski resorts though. Lifts to the top would be great!

As for why it's being discussed here for those complaining, stop being so bloody pedantic.

Not something I know anything about, but I'd be interested in learning; however I suspect you're being disingenuous...

Should we take it to the Gear and Rigging forum - that might be the appropriate place for that discussion, don't you think? :ph34r:;)

Wrong way round. Get them jumping first, then competent at canopy flight, then let them play with the big, hard ball of dirt. ;)

I totally agree. But when they ask, "How do I learn to Speedfly? the answer would be, "go make a skydive or two!"

---see how I responded to the thread as it related to general skydiving!! Stop bitching long enough to learn!![cool]

Watched some ground flying videos...

and you my freind are my NEW hero! ( You replaced the guy who jumped out of the otter with a toilet)

I want to learn how to do that.. To bad we dont have nice mountains like that here in Texas.... that looks like it would be fun!

Quick question

Going fast enough.. running, you could probably keep it up up in the air for a couple seconds huh??

This just looks soo cool...
B|B|

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Wouldn't work. No matter how fast you ran on flat ground as soon as you jumped up you would come right back down. If the winds were too strong you would just get blown backwards.

Ways to get around this would be either stand on the side of the mountain where the wind is blowing up the slope of have a buddy hold onto you and hope for a really strong wind. You could fly if he held on to your chest strap and the wind got strong enough.

Wouldn't work. No matter how fast you ran on flat ground as soon as you jumped up you would come right back down. If the winds were too strong you would just get blown backwards.

Ways to get around this would be either stand on the side of the mountain where the wind is blowing up the slope of have a buddy hold onto you and hope for a really strong wind. You could fly if he held on to your chest strap and the wind got strong enough.

Would that make you a human kite? :P
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

I totally agree. But when they ask, "How do I learn to Speedfly? the answer would be, "go make a skydive or two!"

Nope, not necassarily ... People enter by various routes..
  • Skydiving
  • Paragliding
  • Skiing
  • Virgins .... not to be recommended (in this case)

Me, I came from a skydive/paraglide & ski background

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Would that make you a human kite? :P

No, that would make you and him ' Casualties':P

(.)Y(.)

I disagree.

The best way to teach skydiving is to break it down into small blocks of instruction, master each block, then put it all together.

Small blocks of instruction allow students to focus on one skill at a time without all the distractions of the steps before or after.

For example, all our skydiving students start with a tandem.
    Then a weekend or two of ground-launching/para-gliding/SPEED FLYING would be nice.
    Then the first jump course and a few IAD jumps.
    Then a session or two in a wind tunnel.
    Then a bit more ground school and a half dozen AFF jumps, followed by coach jumps to round out the skills needed for A License.

After they finish building a wind tunnel near Vancouver International Airport or Tacoma ... I will refuse to touch freefall students until after they have visited the tunnel once or twice and gotten their proficiency card signed by an AFF Instructor.

Call me lazy, but back-looping off the step is my least favorite part of freefall instruction.

And I do not worry about loss of revenue for the DZ because I can always spend rainy Mondays patching SPEED FLYING canopies that landed in trees.
    Hah!
    Hah!

Rob Warner
    Strong Tandem Examiner
    USPA Instructor for IAD and S/L
    CSPA PFF Instructor and Rigger Examiner
    FAA Master Rigger

And I do not worry about loss of revenue for the DZ because I can always spend rainy Mondays patching SPEED FLYING canopies that landed in trees.
    Hah!

Whoops that reminds me ... I gift wrapped a wee tree the other week with my Nano ... she's O.K but you have a point and a market opportunity there, f'sure.

(.)Y(.)

Hah!

Whoops that reminds me ... I gift wrapped a wee tree the other week with my Nano ... she's O.K but you have a point and a market opportunity there, f'sure.

I still have one to get patched too! :D:D

Hah!

old man cant fly! :P
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    -Hunter S. Thompson
    "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Hah!

Hey the flying is easy .... it's the landing when my walking frame gets in the way .... C**T

(.)Y(.)

Hah!

Hey the flying is easy .... it's the landing when my walking frame gets in the way .... C**T

tree jumped in your way!? :P
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    -Hunter S. Thompson
    "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda