Calvin19

Fatality Cause Stats

I know this has been done before, it has to have been, but I cannot find it. Tried the search, etc. (dz.com search, google, etc) but all that came up was something about DB cooper and total annual stats.

It would be great to have a breakdown of fatality and major reported injury/incident: jump number, USPA or equivalent license, equipment, contributing factors and probable cause. And then break that down.

So... where did I miss it?

-SPACE-

USPA website? Parachutist safety day issue?

Not much has changed in past few years anyway. About 40% of fatalities are on perfectly good parachutes. Collisions and low turns seem to be the biggest problem.

Death isn't picky about how many jumps you have, or what license, or what equipment, or if you took Business Stats III in college. Death eats stats for breakfast and shits them out on whomever fucks up.
Sometimes even on the guy that did everything right.

Can I get a +1 on that? Anyone?

hey dude, If you go to the home page on here look in the very bottom right hand corner and it has fatality reports from 2004 on.
hope this helps

hahahahahha... word. Ok. my bad. I only ever come to the forums page. that is good.

BUT I was more looking for something like a fatality graph of causes. Of course collisions and low turns will be the big slices, but when flaming an idiot it would be nice to cite some sources when someone says "you're going to die"

This I already know, yes. Stats are useless.

I found them now, I had a brain fart.

It would be nice to have incidents in there as well. we all know that what separates walking away and a fatality is a jagged weird line, I think the stats would be way more accurate if it included incidents.

I have trouble just getting accurate info for fatalities, injuries are something that I have no intent on tracking in a database. I get PM's all week long from someone asking about an injury they heard about and are looking for more info on but since the local jumpers have not posted any information to the forums its hard to get the ball rolling to talk about the injuries.

Just recently there was a fatality and it took almost two days to confirm that there really was an incident at the DZ since no one wanted to talk about it in the forums or directly when asked. I know about 2-3 dozen injuries this year already that are not in the forums since people refuse to start the first post and then when I offer to they want it dropped and not talked about anymore.

Currently this year I know of at least 3 femur breaks and only 1 made the forums and we are not even into May yet. Unless the press shows up to cover the injuries most people would rather sweep injuries under the rug since it makes their DZ look bad if its reporting all the injuries and no one else is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

People won't admit it even anonymously? That surprises me. I can understand not wanting your name posted but anonymously?

I wonder if we had a way that people could email a moderator info and just say "someone in TX or someone in AZ" did this ... Would they be more willing to fess up if if it was both anonymous and the dz wasn't posted?

People won't admit it even anonymously? That surprises me. I can understand not wanting your name posted but anonymously?

I wonder if we had a way that people could email a moderator info and just say "someone in TX or someone in AZ" did this ... Would they be more willing to fess up if if it was both anonymous and the dz wasn't posted?

Sure. PM a mod and ask to be kept out of it. (Aren't you a mod too??)

The problem is that I can't see it staying anonymous. Too small of a community, too many people who are going to jump in and say "It was XXX, it happened at YYY and he was an idiot". Then the hatefest starts.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It does not surprise me at all. Some people worry about the consequences of bad publicity at their DZ. You never know it might affct the tourist business.

USPA website? Parachutist safety day issue?

Not much has changed in past few years anyway. About 40% of fatalities are on perfectly good parachutes. Collisions and low turns seem to be the biggest problem.

Death isn't picky about how many jumps you have, or what license, or what equipment, or if you took Business Stats III in college. Death eats stats for breakfast and shits them out on whomever fucks up.
Sometimes even on the guy that did everything right.

Can I get a +1 on that? Anyone?

+1 to the "n"th power yo.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Some people worry about the consequences of bad publicity at their DZ.

And some people despise the pronouncements of know-it-alls who weren't there, don't know what they're talking about, and say incorrect and derogatory things about their injured friends.

That's why I refuse to post anything about accidents that I've witnessed.

As BillVon has noted quite a few times, after an injury or fatality its hard to find a friend of the person that actually has something bad to say about the person and they only want to see the person in a positive light and want to deflect any negative comments about their friend no matter what happened. I've taken flack in person and on here for calling people out as being stupid or at fault when they got hurt and I've also been the person that hated every poster on these forums that was posting comments and passing judgment about my friend that just died the day or two previously. Eventually I've come to realize that the dead don't have feelings anymore and their friends are only going to protect their memories of the person and any postings on here are not going to erase those memories but will only cause people to prevent posting about injuries since they don't want to defend their friends.

Its a cycle that will only be broken by logging the injuries/fatalities and never having a bit of discussion about them. To me that's as bad as not posting injuries since in the vast majority of the times the initial report even behind fatalities is grossly incorrect and with out the discussion the details never would come out. If the community at large wants the databases on here to move towards that then it can happen but I won't be doing it.

To give you an example of DZ's not wanting to publish or even acknowledge accidents I've been contacted by multiple DZ's and staff at DZ's and asked to delete threads, remove lots of posts in threads that they feel are attacks on the DZ or in a few cases change the thread title so that their DZ name is not directly associated with it so that it is not indexed by Google as a match for their DZ when students look online.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Some people worry about the consequences of bad publicity at their DZ.

And some people despise the pronouncements of know-it-alls who weren't there, don't know what they're talking about, and say incorrect and derogatory things about their injured friends.

That's why I refuse to post anything about accidents that I've witnessed.

And some people don't want to be contacted by private investigators and/or lawyers retained by the estate(s) of the dead and/or injured (yes, it happens, on a fairly regular basis, and it doesn't matter how long ago the incident happened either).

Which is also yet another good reason to not fill out profile info.