maxwell88

Hieght and Weight

Hello all,

I am planning on doing AFF either at the end of summer or early next year. (I have always wanted to and can finally afford it) I have researched quite alot regarding the sport of skydiving, Although never really can find an answer regarding size and weight.

My question is this: How does your body weight affect your abillity to maintain stabillity?
The reason I ask is because I am quite slim and tall, And I wonderd how this would compare to say the average body mass of a male aged 21? Do you suffer being skinny?
I know this may seem like a dumb or stupid question but I have tried to apply logic to it and I have no idea, So I thought id ask some people who would :)

Any Info greatly appreciated - the more I learn the more i am tempted to sell my kidney and get the ball rolling,

Many thanks

max (avid fan)

Hello all,

I am planning on doing AFF either at the end of summer or early next year. (I have always wanted to and can finally afford it) I have researched quite alot regarding the sport of skydiving, Although never really can find an answer regarding size and weight.

My question is this: How does your body weight affect your abillity to maintain stabillity?
The reason I ask is because I am quite slim and tall, And I wonderd how this would compare to say the average body mass of a male aged 21? Do you suffer being skinny?
I know this may seem like a dumb or stupid question but I have tried to apply logic to it and I have no idea, So I thought id ask some people who would :)

Any Info greatly appreciated - the more I learn the more i am tempted to sell my kidney and get the ball rolling,

Many thanks

max (avid fan)

Hi Max,
"Keep the Kidney!!" If'n yer "tall and skinny" you'll need the weight!! :D:D;) Tall and skinny is a major advantage!! You'll see!! If ya' wanna go fast ya' kin always get a tight, nylon "slick suit!!" It's us "Lead Sleds" that wish we had your "Problem??":ph34r::D:D;)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hello,

5'10 and 9' 1/2 stone last time I checked, 32in waist and no idea on the chest! I mainly was thinking arms, I noticed in free fall, the jumper tends to use the flat of the arms and his/her hands to "cup" the air flow. I have noodle arms! Yeah jumping from a plane first time will be good, But I must keep the missus happy too, and she would like beaches and sun this summer! (meanwhile I can save up some more!) I had persueded her to do at least tandem, allthough i made the mistake of showing her some cutaway vids:o

You have made my day, Thanks for a quick response too! And I like the term "shouldn't" as well ;)
Id be doing this asap, only I thought it best to wait untill I have at least flow in an aircraft before jumping out of one.

Many Thanks

Max

Yes, it's best to fly in an aircraft before you jump out of it. Well, you could jump out of one before you fly in it but I don't think you could call that a skydive. :)

Awesome, Id just like to say thanks to everyone on this forum. I have been reading many post's all over the boards for while now, And have found a ton of usefull info and FAQ's. Im also really stoked by the sense of community around the sport, Something I can't wait to contribute to!

Thanks Again

Tall and skinny won't affect your ability to be stable.

However, it will affect your ability to fall fast enough to keep up with other jumpers. Therefore, if you stick with the sport to become an experienced jumper, you'll eventually want to buy a lead weight vest to make yourself heavier in freefall, so that you'll fly relative to others - that's why it's called "relative work".

But first things first. Jump, and enjoy. No worry about your body style being a problem.

Tall and skinny won't affect your ability to be stable.

However, it will affect your ability to fall fast enough to keep up with other jumpers. Therefore, if you stick with the sport to become an experienced jumper, you'll eventually want to buy a lead weight vest to make yourself heavier in freefall, so that you'll fly relative to others - that's why it's called "relative work".

But first things first. Jump, and enjoy. No worry about your body style being a problem.

PLUS! ....you get the added bonus of really impressing your friends by telling them that not only do you jump out of airplanes, but you are so baaad that you strap lead on before you jump! :)

I'm between 5' 11" and 6', and weigh roughly 135lbs. No matter what type of build you have, you'll learn to fly your own body when you start jumping. And on top of that, you won't need to worry about fall rate or anything while going through AFF, let the instructor your paying work on that until he tells you that it's something you guys will work on ;)

Then, after you get your license, strap on the weight belt and start throwing down the burgers!

Stay high pull low

9' 1/2 stone

For the rest of the world not using medieval weight measurements, a “stone” is 14 pounds.

Otherwise for everyone except the US, Angola and Liberia (yes there are only three non-metric countries on the planet) its 6.35kg
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I wouldn't exactly call 5'10 "tall". But regardless, I say skip the first airplane flight, and go straight to the skydive. Then you'll be able to tell all of your friends that you've flown in a plane, just never landed in one
This shit, right here, is OK

“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.”
Thomas Jefferson

You SOOOOOO do not want till wait till the end of summer..

If your profile is correct.... and you are in the UK... you need to start NOW

Trust me.... I live in Seattle....... America's version of CRAPPY ENGLISH WEATHER:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Hello,

5'10 and 9' 1/2 stone last time I checked, 32in waist and no idea on the chest!

1/2 inch shorter, and same weight and waist as me. I just about manage.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm 5' 10" and "11 Stone":P

My biggest problem is that I fall too slow.

Suit selection, weights and skill let me keep up (down actually) with others.

Stability and manuverability are based more on skill than body shape/weight.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My wifes' fisrt tandem jump was also her first airplane ride. Go for it.

i also, was never in a plane til the day i jumped out of one....

i had 0ver 150 take offs... before i ever landed in any sort of airplane...

I hope the O P has a great experience...

jt
A 3914
D 12122

I'm 5' 10" and "11 Stone":P

My biggest problem is that I fall too slow.

Suit selection, weights and skill let me keep up (down actually) with others.

Stability and manuverability are based more on skill than body shape/weight.

Hey I am 6'2".. and one boulder..:)... but my big suit makes all the difference. I can slow down to 104 MPH.... to do RW with the tiny little floaty butts... and well my fastest... at the bottom of a speed diveas measured by 2 protracks.... is 325.8 MPH...

Ya gotta dress for success

150 take offs before a landing. Holy cow. I've had a few white knuckle landings in large and small planes. I'd much rather land myself at times like those.

Nicely ignoring the fact that fatal accident and severe injury rate in skydiving is way higher than in airplanes small or large. How many other activities do you know that have an "In Memory Of" forum on the web site and a fatal accident summary in every issue of the magazine?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

To be honest - I am aware of the injury rates, I may not yet skydive. I have been skateboarding for 5 years or so, And I can name 8+ good friends that have broken an arm or ankle at least once, and surprisingly there is a few skaters who have died from head impacting into concrete. But yes, skydiving is quite dangerous and you should obviously be aware of the risk. I don't think anyone is trying to say it's easy or safe, But in my mind whats fun about something thats easy or safe (bungee jumping excluded :o)

But I still want to do it ASAP :)

Hi Max

If you are based in the UK then you should definately take advantage of the summer to get some jumping in because winter in the UK is not the warmest way to experience your first jump!!! B|

Why not visit one of your local DZ's for their BOOGIE (BOOGIE = BIG SKYDIVING PARTY !!!)

Otherwise just come along for a beer or two :)
Roughly where in the UK are you based?