Joea

Let's Make This Big!

I'm just saying, I think there are probably more young skydivers who could accurately identify who Scott Lutz is and what he did than who could accurately identify Jacques Istel (or any other historical figure in our sport) and what he did. And that's kinda sad.

I'm just saying, I think there are probably more young skydivers who could accurately identify who Scott Lutz is and what he did than who could accurately identify Jacques Istel (or any other historical figure in our sport) and what he did. And that's kinda sad.

Just goes to show you what publicity and TV will do for ya huh??

If it bleeds... it leadsB|

If it bleeds... it leadsB|

Tru dat.

I've worked in the media (TV) for over 20 years and while the story is indeed important, superfluous details, like how a freakin' parachute actually works, is irrelevant. A beginner surviving a mishap -ANY mishap- is the big deal. HOW it happened doesn't sell advertising space. Additional details that fluff up the survival aspect (exaggerated speeds, embellished malfunctions, or the ever famous "his chute didn't open!") only add to the mystique of the story and the wild imagination of viewers/readers who just don't know any better.

Sad indeed.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Has Shana Richardson been nominated yet?

j

I nominate her instuctor-boyfriend.

Shayna was just a student who talked and listened to her instructor. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom