Joea

Let's Make This Big!

If you're on Facebook, check out this page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/The-Lutz-Award/105432892831417

The Lutz Award is given to a newb or media outlet from anywhere in the world, that does its best to bad mouth our sport through sheer ignorance... a la Scott Lutz.

The more people from the around the world who join, the more nominees there could be. If it catches on, maybe the awards will eventually be televised.

It's a bit of fun.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

I'd like to propose a 10 year limit on making fun of failed skydivers who haven't actually sued a DZ/Instructor/Rigger/etc. I mean, yeah, what the guy did was moronic and he besmirched our fine sport on television repeatedly with his nonsense, but I'm pretty sure the only people who even remember who he is and what he did are skydivers. I would venture that there are thousands of skydivers who currently have their D license who hadn't begun skydiving yet when Lutz made his fateful jump. Maybe it's time we let it go and find somebody new to kick around. Just a suggestion.

...Maybe it's time we let it go and find somebody new to kick around. Just a suggestion.

Hey, we're always up for someone new to kick around.

Tell us about your biggest mistake. Maybe it qualifies. ;)

The challenge will be to find anyone that had such a widely publicized and outrageous skydive. My guess is the media deserves as much, maybe more, credit than Lutz himself, as they will misquote and misrepresent to get as much dramatic effect as possible. Still, it was Lutz on the dive.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

You may want to take into consideration that Scott is an attorney and as such; use of his name in such a manner _may_ cause you more grief than "Big."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Bah... there's no liable.

But dammit I like the K-Lutz award better just for its catchiness.

Where were you a week ago?!
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Oh... yeah... libel.

God damn English language and its homophones.

So it's your edjumacated opinion that there's no exposure to liability for libel. Got it. And that's the part that's awesome. But that's OK; back in the day, barbers used to perform surgery, so it's all cool.

And don't call me a homophone. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Feel free to nominate her.

Add the details in the Discussions area.

If you don't have a facebook account, just add it here and I'll put it in.

Or get a facebook account... all the cool kids are doin' it.

Has Shana Richardson been nominated yet?

j

I was SOOOOOOO not goin there.... wanted to.. but.....nope... not goin there.:ph34r:

LOL. It took me a while....fought it...but I lost the fight and went there.;)

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Bah... there's no liable.

But dammit I like the K-Lutz award better just for its catchiness.

Where were you a week ago?!

Welcome to a journalists world.

The five criteria for libel

1. The statement must be published.
a. Libel law is not statutory law-it varies from state to state. As a rule of thumb: it may be libel if more than 25 people have seen it.

2. The plaintiff in a libel case (the one who’s been libeled) must be identified.
a. You don’t need to use the name, but if you identify them by some other means it is enough.

3. The plaintiff must be defamed. Things that could hurt your credibility: crime, sexual conduct, illness (mental), addiction to anything, organizations (ex: racism)

4. The statement has to be false.
a. Truth and accuracy are two different things.
b. Attribution is not a defense in libel.

(3 and 4 run hand in hand) if a statement is defamatory but true, and can be proved as true, it is not libel; and vice versa.

5. Fault: it was/is the fault of the defendant, (writer, publisher, editor).
a. Negligence (private person): fair comment law.
b. Malice (public person)

Again... BAH!

There's no 'statement', therefore no defamation.

LUTZ is an acronym for Losers Undermining The Zport.

There. Ass is covered.