atsaubrey

The Fat man is back

There are many great people at both HI dropzones. Be sure to be letting either DZ know you're coming; they may tell you to leave your rig at home.
Jumping in HI isn't for the faint of heart or uncurrent.
If your profile numbers and lack of currency are accurate, you might want to reconsider getting current in HI.
Constant winds, lots of obstacles, limited outs.
Their website has some very specific recommendations.

"That's mighty big talk for a one-eyed fat man." Doug's right, Bro. The folks in Hawaii and Cancun ain't got much in the way of outs and I know Michael in Cancun requires a D-license and currency.

Trivia question: Why would someone under canopy actually want to turn and head further out to sea?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I never said your being stupid, you asked how different can it be, the answer is, can you tread water long enough to make it to Kauai while fighting off sharks in the dark also with big waves it's winter, swells could be 15 to 30 ft, that is how different it could be.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Tell me more, of course wind is a good thing on the north shore. Outs could be an issue, but how different can it be?

That one question indicates you're not prepared. At all. Take my advice; leave the rig at home.

It's a narrow, long landing area with mountains on one side, sea on the other. You cannot land on the beach, and the surf has already claimed lives and the DZ has a lot of injuries (virtually all that I'm aware of are from visiting skydivers).
Powerlines, trees, rotors, and you can almost never jump after around 1 in the afternoon due to the trades. The view is incredibly distracting.
About a year ago, I watched a whale and her calf for nearly the rest of my life.:$B| Pulling below 2.5 is simply stupid if you're not a local, and pulling too high can be equally problematic.
Out's should NEVER be a "maybe" issue. They're ALWAYS an issue. You don't want to ever be in the position of saying "I don't need to worry about alternate landing areas, cuz I always make it back." This thread talks about one very unprepared, uncurrent person's unfortunate experience.
Here is another one

I wouldn't say you're being stupid, I'd say you're unaware and unprepared, plus uncurrent. There are three links right there. Remember links in the chain that you learned about during FJC?
I'd leave the rig home, and if Clarence will let you jump, rent a rig. Otherwise, do a tandem.
Or, head over to the glider port and have Jonny take you up. You'll get a great idea of the winds, get a terrific view, and have a lot of fun.

I did my tandems and first AFF at Hawaii, I'm in love with the place. But even as an experienced skydiver, I'm very cautious about jumping there.

Last I heard the requirements at one of the DZ's was visitors had to have either 100 or 200 jumps and be current to skydive there since they had some incidents with visitors not being prepared for just how different and how much more difficult the environment was. There was an incident about 2 years back that ended in a woman having her leg amputated due to injuries she received on her off landing on her second jump on the island.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well kinda. I am leaving for Hawaii tomorrow, and its the one place I BEG to jump. I need a repack and since it has basically been one year since my last jump, I need a repack and a coach for this one, anyone know the Hawaii peeps?

Oh god.... you again..... Twin Otters all over .... are moaning;)

I know everyone is gonna yell at me for saying this but, I say take the rig. Drop it off as soon as you get there, have it repacked talk to the DZO and do a coaching jump. From looking at your profile you aren't gonna be able to do a tandem or rent a rig. I jumped there about 2.5 years ago and had no problems what so ever. I had been in the sport about 4 months and hade maybe 50 jumps. If you take your rig, at least you might be able to jump, if not, whats the big deal you carried an extra bag.

I know everyone is gonna yell at me for saying this but, I say take the rig. Drop it off as soon as you get there, have it repacked talk to the DZO and do a coaching jump. From looking at your profile you aren't gonna be able to do a tandem or rent a rig. I jumped there about 2.5 years ago and had no problems what so ever. I had been in the sport about 4 months and hade maybe 50 jumps. If you take your rig, at least you might be able to jump, if not, whats the big deal you carried an extra bag.

Extra bag costs money with the airlines these days but maybe the OP has the cash to spend. Policies have changed AFAIK in the past 2.5 years.
Which is why a phone call to the DZ is probably the best course of action.
Your having 50 jumps in four months is substantially more current than someone who hasn't jumped in a full year with only a handfull of jumps in three years, going to an unfamiliar DZ with potential problems for an uncurrent, low-number jumper.
A phone call to the DZ would clearly resolve any/all questions the OP might have. And it'll cost a lot less than the 100-150.00 it'll cost to carry an extra bag (assuming the rig isn't carry-on).

DAMN! looking at your profile. your one mofo i'd love to make some jumps with. give me a shout if your ever in the southeast. and belive me I don't need no lead:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Doug (great PIA coverage again by the way!!!) is right about jumping the North Shore. However, given the right conditions and a proper DZ briefing you should do just fine. I'll be glad to do your coach/currency jump... PM me and I'll give you my contact info on the North Shore.

The weather is forecasted to be excellent this weekend...Light to moderate trades. However, as is typical this time of year, expect trades to pick up as day progresses.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

DAMN! looking at your profile. your one mofo i'd love to make some jumps with. give me a shout if your ever in the southeast. and belive me I don't need no lead:P

DUUUUDE don't count on it.!!!!

I have a pretty good fall rate... and I have a few jumps with him. On my first "Catch Aubrey" jump I at least caught him.... and I was poping up when I got off my dive or sit onto my belly (no jumpsuit even). I have also videoed a jump with Aubrey and a few of the Flying Elvi..including Bozo...I docked on the 5 way.. and when we broke for the next point....he even sank out on Bozo...and me..I have video..:ph34r:

Aubrey..man.. get out there and get current before you go over...but I would heed the warnings..Dont jump Hawaii unless you are current and ready for crankin winds. You could always go up to Byron and crank out a LOT of jumps...in their windy ass conditions.. then you might be ready for the North Shore.:S

I have a pretty good fall rate... and I have a few jumps with him. On my first "Catch Aubrey" jump I at least caught him.... and I was poping up when I got off my dive or sit onto my belly (no jumpsuit even). I

I 'm allways up for a challenge sounds like fun
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I have a pretty good fall rate... and I have a few jumps with him. On my first "Catch Aubrey" jump I at least caught him.... and I was poping up when I got off my dive or sit onto my belly (no jumpsuit even). I have also videoed a jump with Aubrey and a few of the Flying Elvi..including Bozo...I docked on the 5 way.. and when we broke for the next point....he even sank out on Bozo...and me..I have video..:ph34r:

Jeannie....boy do I remember that jump. It was like doing RW with a safe....full of gold bars !

Aubrey.....Get current before you jump in Hawaii.
I did a bunch of round jumps there in the early 80s and lotsa square jumps since. Its not your normal DZ.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.