skymama

Ow, my aching shins!

I get the worst shin splints after doing just a couple skydives. Every step is so painful today from jumping on Saturday! What am I doing wrong on my landings to cause this? B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I get the worst shin splints after doing just a couple skydives. Every step is so painful today from jumping on Saturday! What am I doing wrong on my landings to cause this? B|

Are you having to run out the landings?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

To answer the questions:

No, I'm not running out my landings, sitting strangely in the plane or doing a new exercise or sexual position (Remi!). I know it's from jumping because it only hurts like this after jumping.

I did do one tracking jump, but I don't usually do them and it has hurt like this before. I wear sneakers while jumping. So, maybe I am coming down hard on my heels. I'll try to be more aware of that. Thanks, you guys! :)
And if that doesn't help, then maybe Amazon is right. B|:ph34r:

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Because of the neck pain I have, I don't think I have as much power to be able to finish my flare. So, I would concur that that is a real possibility. I'm also flaring unevenly, probably because of the neck issue also. I've had some version of this canopy (Sabre2 170) since 2001 and didn't always have this problem.

TheCaptain- that landing is on video. I'll ask the videographer if he can tell if I was reaching. :)

I waited a while to see if someone was going to post but since they haven't i thought I would speak up. It's probably not your landings causing the shinsplints but the way your feet hang while your under canopy. With your shoes on and under canopy,, your feet hang from the front of your shins and strech those muscles and cause the shinsplints. If you look at most pictures of jumpers under canopy their feet are hanging down with pointed toes. Try a good ankle support and see if that fixes the problem.

Are you stretching before you jump? And hydrating while you're jumping?

Yep, I stretch 'cuz I'm old and can't move if I don't. :ph34r: I do also drink water all day, so I don't think it's that.

Are you stretching before you jump? And hydrating while you're jumping?

Yep, I stretch 'cuz I'm old and can't move if I don't. :ph34r: I do also drink water all day, so I don't think it's that.

Hm, I woulda thought stretching, too. OK, random ideas:
- If it's landing impact, try switching to good running shoes that are well-cushioned in the heels; maybe combined with arch-supporting orthotics.
- Interesting point made up-thread about your toes hanging down under canopy. Do you cross your ankles under canopy? I do, and it helps with muscle fatigue. Try crossing your ankles, and also, from that position, flexing and extending your ankles back and forth to keep your shin muscles from tightening up.
- Maybe take an NSAID like Iburprofen or Naproxen at the beginning of the jump day. Helps me with all sorts of things.