cosmobuddy

182 Wings

Anyone have any experience on retrofitting 1957 wings onto a 1956?

There are no differences in the airfoil, weight, control surfaces, etc. The Cessna parts manual shows that the 1957 wings have a "usable on" code that allows the wings to be used on a 1956.

The differences:
The 1956 wings have mechanical "bobber" fuel gages located in the end rib of the wing and has a "slant" tank with a capacity of 27.5 gallons per side.
The 1957 wings have electrical sending units in the tanks with electrical gages in the instrument panel and has "square" tanks with a capacity of 32.5 gallons per side.

My thoughts were that, because of the "usable on" code was good that we could use the wings and my IA file a 337 with the FAA. Done deal? NO! There seems to be a problem. We have been told that we need to work with a Designated Engineering Representative (DER) to get approval. It all hinges around the mechanical versus electrical fuel monitoring systems.

Any insight??? Or does anyone know of a DER who can apply common sense to this situation?
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com

I've heard the old way of doing things even if approved one thousand times can no longer be done. I've heard several DZs have trouble getting approval for 182 inflight doors for jump ops. Even if they are making an identical door to one that is approved and currently operating.

Not sure what to suggest for you other than look at the hoop they want you to jump through and decide if it's worth it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

The "Usable Code" goes by aircraft serial number.

What does it say for the electric fuel sending units and gauges? If Cessna says that you can put a '57 wing on a '56 by serial number, it (should be) the same with the fuel quantity system.
If the IPC says you can, there is nothing the FAA can say. You don't even need a 337, unless you repaired the wing.