heavydude

DC-3 Jump Planes

Skydive Arizona, we just did one during the easter boogie. In fact, it flies quite often during boogies if enough people are interested.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I jumped a DC-3 at Skydive Arizona on Thanksgiving weekend (November) 2009.

Great fun!

Take something to read during the L-O-N-G ride to altitude!

I got the impression that it only flew for special occasions.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Damn turbine kids! the space inside more than makes up for the wait:P

The oil that thing spits, now thats another story:)

+1 : Time is NOT as importamt as CLASS!!!! I'm so pissed off that I never got to jump Mr Douglas - Those planes got SOUL

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Damn turbine kids! the space inside more than makes up for the wait:P

The oil that thing spits, now thats another story:)

+1 : Time is NOT as importamt as CLASS!!!! I'm so pissed off that I never got to jump Mr Douglas - Those planes got SOUL

Doubt many people today would recall what it's like to front float a 3, or how to make sure you don't crash into the side of the door on exit.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Z-hills in the eighties. 40 way speed competitions.

If you could get everyone out in around 8 seconds you were good.

Going late on those................. now that teaches you how to dive to a formation.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I'm so pissed off that I never got to jump Mr Douglas - Those planes got SOUL

Poor Mr Douglas is still sitting forlornly on the tarmac at the Tullahoma, TN airport with a busted engine. Been there for several years. You can even see it in googlemaps.

I was lucky to have jumped that bird a number of times, including being front float on it at Skydive Chicago when they were doing 70+ ways with it and their 2 Otters! :S

I remember one window was loose and would vibrate pretty loudly. If I sat right in front of it, I'd annoy the other guys on the plane by putting my hand on the window and lifting it a bunch of times.

BBBBBBBB BBBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBBBBBB

"Billy, stop that fucking shit will ya?"

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm so pissed off that I never got to jump Mr Douglas - Those planes got SOUL

Poor Mr Douglas is still sitting forlornly on the tarmac at the Tullahoma, TN airport with a busted engine. Been there for several years. You can even see it in googlemaps.

I was lucky to have jumped that bird a number of times, including being front float on it at Skydive Chicago when they were doing 70+ ways with it and their 2 Otters! :S

I remember one window was loose and would vibrate pretty loudly. If I sat right in front of it, I'd annoy the other guys on the plane by putting my hand on the window and lifting it a bunch of times.

BBBBBBBB BBBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBBBBBB

"Billy, stop that fucking shit will ya?"

:D

I last jumped Mr. Douglas in about 1995. Beach jump at Sebastian. Here's a pic of PhoenixAir from Phoenix/Zhills parked in the orange grove a couple miles north of the airport. Sweet while it lasted.[:/]

well THAT is some picture!!!!!...

seems OK to me,,, Fire up that other engine,,,, we're on a 10 minute calll!!!!!!!!

hahahahahhaha

we used to have a DC 3 Boogie every year here in Batavia NY..

Before it became a Casa Boogie...

we had Mr. douglas
we had The bird machine
we had Lucaya Air....
(not at the same time of course)

Lucaya Air was my favorite,,, cause of the "crew" that traveled with it.....:DB|:)They'd taxi in on arrival and the first thing you'd see was TWO 55 gallon drums being dumped out.... One was full of oil, to feed the engines and the other was there to serve " as a scaffold, for when we gotta change a jug"
Not only could i stand up easily in a 3 ,, but i could hardy even TOUCH the ceiling!!!!!!

jimmy

those were some GREAT times....

well THAT is some picture!!!!!...

seems OK to me,,, Fire up that other engine,,,, we're on a 10 minute calll!!!!!!!!

hahahahahhaha......................

Here are a couple more for anyone who's interested. I took these several days after the accident so a lot of parts had been removed by then. The right wing extended over the road. The first pic is standing at the plane and looking south across the road towards Zephyrhills Airport. The marks on the field show the path of the plane. It turned sideways about where the fence is and crossed the road and went up the embankment into the orange grove. The last picture is during better days. I jumped this plane just the weekend before the crash and even then it was so newly refurbished that you could still smell the paint curing. It was at the DZ only 2 or 3 months, IIRC. 2 crew + 40 jumpers, no injuries! This happened shortly after Easter Boogie and we spent the following summer jumping the Beech 18.

My dad is a crew pilot on the AA Flagship Detroit, the oldest flying DC-3 left. I've been trying to talk them into removing that damn AirStair door for years and letting us jump her. Still get the AYFC!

If I get up to Oshkosh with them this year, I'll be pester them the whole time while I'm doing grunt work.:)

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

According to Crosskeys website ...

Indeed! Prepare for the arrival of the jump plane that started the Boogie circuit - DC3 Mr Douglas!

SKYDIVE CROSS KEYS / FREEFALL ADVENTURES, INC.

http://crosskeysskydiving.com/jump_crosskeys.php

A 25 year old pic. That bird sure looked great then. Not so good now. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have jumped 2 DC-3's Southern Cross and Blue Streak. I was able to fly on the AA Flagship Detroit from Mena, Arkansas to Little Rock a few years ago. We dropped off one of our Otters at the paint shop there and were able to arrange a flight on the Douglas. I believe it cost us $100.00 per person to join the Flagship Detroit foundation. We were able to fly in the cockpit on an IFR trip. What a memory. Your dad may have been one of the pilots. I will try to attach some pics.

According to Crosskeys website ...

Indeed! Prepare for the arrival of the jump plane that started the Boogie circuit - DC3 Mr Douglas!

SKYDIVE CROSS KEYS / FREEFALL ADVENTURES, INC.

http://crosskeysskydiving.com/jump_crosskeys.php

Is this outdated info or is Mr. Douglas in fact moving to Crosskeys?

I hope someone is going to do something with it. It breaks my heart to see it just sitting here on the ramp. I never got to jump it but I sure would love to.

Blue Skies,
Jason

O.K. sports fans...

On the east side of the Oshkosh Airport, there's a turbine conversion place that has SEVERAL really nice DC-3 and C-47 shells just sitting there. Also, there were some that appeared to be complete aircraft. I showed them to my son last month along with some old stories of jumping these birds.

Any way, is it possible that a turbine converted C-47/DC-3 is in our future? I'm just wishful thinking out loud.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."