JohnnyMarko

New container for first rig

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but with a little research you can have a pretty good idea of what you want and don't want in a rig.

Ya, you can. But I can assure you I've spent so much down time looking up information about equipment purely out of my own interest, I can say with confidence that I know more about my rig than many other 100 jump wonders out there. Nevertheless I still have not made an educated decision on all the preferences I would want on a rig that I would drop one or two grand on, which is a ton of money for me.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

If you're gonna troll, you're gonna have to be more subtle. Example:

Brand new Mirage G4
Brand new Sabre 150 loaded at 1.25
Smart Reserve
No AAD
No RSL

That would've got them screamin!:S:D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I call bullshit. Even you're not stupid enough to go the stiletto route at 37 jumps.:S

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

You had it perfectly set up for a troll but that post ruined everything. :(

I refuse to believe people would not know I was trolling...or are there really sub 50 jump wonders that are r-tarded about downsizing?

Mad Skilz dude.

Some people have no clue how little they know.

And refuse to listen.

And WL in the 1.2-1.5 range for beginners wasn't too unusual right about the time I started.

Edit to add: I've seen sub-100 jumpers on ellipticals at 1.25.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sure, AAD's are one the best inventions ever. I mean, it could save your life. COULD. For someone (myself) that will probably only make 150-200 jumps a year at a small DZ (Cessna 182 and a 206), I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

In case you wondering, the above paragraph is where you went from being right to being wrong.

The only reason not to buy new rigs, or any gear, when you're a brand new jumper is money. The majority of new jumpers aren't swimming in cash, so the few thousand bucks they can save buying used equates to a good number of jumps, which is probably more valuable than a brand new rig.

However, if money was not an issue, than I'd say buy the best every time, without concern for cost or resale value. Early on in the thread you indicated that your folks had a few bucks and were willing to fund the new rig. Perfect, and that was the reason I didn't post and suggest a used rig. It's all about the money, and it seems that you have it.

Then the AAD issue comes up, and you say dumb thing after dumb thing, and then you sum it all up saying you don't want to spend the money.

This is an item that is required for every student rig and every tandem rig, so you have to figure that it's usefulness has been proven as being well beyond any drawbacks, including the cost.

You start off your defence by suggesting that your jump numbers will be limited. This is actually MORE of a reason to have an AAD, not a reason against it. I would suggest that a jumper who is more experienced, and more aware of his surroundings and the situaitons he's putting himself into might have more of a footing in an argument against an AAD.

To go along with that, keep in mind that your low jump numbers will also mean a low level of currency. There's nothing like the passage of time to smooth over some of the finer points of skydiving. Currency is king, and without it, an AAD ain't a bad idea.

Does your mom know about AADs? Is she aware that the $2000 container you're buying does not have that safety device installed? Is she aware that the only thing between her son having or not having an AAD is money? No legal issues, forms to fill out, or permits to get signed? Just a phone call, $1200, and three days for UPS to do it's thing? I'm willing to bet she has no idea, and also willing to bet she'd be real interested to hear all about it.

In the end, if you insist on a brand new rig with 30 jumps and you don't buy an AAD because of the cost, I can only think of one word for you - tool.

I refuse to believe people would not know I was trolling...or are there really sub 50 jump wonders that are r-tarded about downsizing?

Yes, people know you're trolling. At the same time, this behavior happens. I've been just 3 years in this sport, and I've seen one jumper get her a, and immediately buy a Nitro 120, because it was a good deal. Spent the next 40 jumps crashing in everytime. Couldn't land for shit. She was 120 out the door. Another jumper at 40 jumps bought a Nitro 150, new. 210 out the door, you do the math. (You'll be quizzed:D) Less than 10 jumps in, flares it asymmetrically and tears his acl when it rolls.

So yes, sub 50 wonders do buy that Ferrari thinking they have "mad skilz".

I have read you're post, so I knew you weren't serious.:)

Sure, AAD's are one the best inventions ever. I mean, it could save your life. COULD. For someone (myself) that will probably only make 150-200 jumps a year at a small DZ (Cessna 182 and a 206), I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

In case you wondering, the above paragraph is where you went from being right to being wrong.

The only reason not to buy new rigs, or any gear, when you're a brand new jumper is money. The majority of new jumpers aren't swimming in cash, so the few thousand bucks they can save buying used equates to a good number of jumps, which is probably more valuable than a brand new rig.

However, if money was not an issue, than I'd say buy the best every time, without concern for cost or resale value. Early on in the thread you indicated that your folks had a few bucks and were willing to fund the new rig. Perfect, and that was the reason I didn't post and suggest a used rig. It's all about the money, and it seems that you have it.

Then the AAD issue comes up, and you say dumb thing after dumb thing, and then you sum it all up saying you don't want to spend the money.

This is an item that is required for every student rig and every tandem rig, so you have to figure that it's usefulness has been proven as being well beyond any drawbacks, including the cost.

You start off your defence by suggesting that your jump numbers will be limited. This is actually MORE of a reason to have an AAD, not a reason against it. I would suggest that a jumper who is more experienced, and more aware of his surroundings and the situaitons he's putting himself into might have more of a footing in an argument against an AAD.

To go along with that, keep in mind that your low jump numbers will also mean a low level of currency. There's nothing like the passage of time to smooth over some of the finer points of skydiving. Currency is king, and without it, an AAD ain't a bad idea.

Does your mom know about AADs? Is she aware that the $2000 container you're buying does not have that safety device installed? Is she aware that the only thing between her son having or not having an AAD is money? No legal issues, forms to fill out, or permits to get signed? Just a phone call, $1200, and three days for UPS to do it's thing? I'm willing to bet she has no idea, and also willing to bet she'd be real interested to hear all about it.

In the end, if you insist on a brand new rig with 30 jumps and you don't buy an AAD because of the cost, I can only think of one word for you - tool.

I am a tool...a HUGE tool...plus, with my mad skillz I won't ever need an AAD because Im better than everyone else....

Well, thank you for you concern, but just like 96.2% of stuff on here, I don't care...I could watch all the CYPRES save videos on the interwebz and it couldn't swing my decision either way...honestly, after this thread stops being posted on, will you really think back in a couple months and wonder, "I hope that Johnny kid got an AAD"...if you do, then there's about a hundred other people you need to worry about...I guess you'll never know my decision unless a)we somehow meet up (highly unlikely) or b)I end up in the incidents forum (also highly unlikely because once again, I have mad skillz unmatched by any)

Yes, people know you're trolling. At the same time, this behavior happens. I've been just 3 years in this sport, and I've seen one jumper get her a, and immediately buy a Nitro 120, because it was a good deal. Spent the next 40 jumps crashing in everytime. Couldn't land for shit. She was 120 out the door. Another jumper at 40 jumps bought a Nitro 150, new. 210 out the door, you do the math. (You'll be quizzed:D) Less than 10 jumps in, flares it asymmetrically and tears his acl when it rolls.

So yes, sub 50 wonders do buy that Ferrari thinking they have "mad skilz".

I have read you're post, so I knew you weren't serious.:)

Wow...ok I am basing absolutely NO decisions about gear from shit I read on dorkzone....

DISCLAIMER!!! I HAVE BEEN TALKING NONSTOP WITH MY INSTRUCTOR AND MY DZO ABOUT MY NEW GEAR...I am going to get an AAD, so everyone calm down