JohnnyMarko

New container for first rig

Im gonna get this thread going in the wrong direction here but.....

wait for it....

Im not getting an AAD...let the battle begin :S...

Why? I'm sure your parents can afford it.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Because I don't want one. And Im an adult, I can wipe my own ass.

Not when you're knocked out you can't....or when you have a total malfunction...or when you took it down a little too low on that one skydive...:S

Comments like this make me shake my head.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Not when you're knocked out you can't....or when you have a total malfunction...or when you took it down a little too low on that one skydive...:S

In that case, Ill probably bounce.

Why not have your parents buy you one now and just not use it. That way, if you change your mind in the future, you'll already have one.

Because by buying an AAD, I'll be conforming...and since I'm a college student hipster, there's no way I can conform...

Because by buying an AAD, I'll be conforming...and since I'm a college student hipster, there's no way I can conform...

Ahhh... when I was young, I was a non-conformist too. Just like all my friends. ;)

When, 50 years ago?

Almost. My advice to you is this: Stop listening to the big scary rabbit. He's not good for you. ;)

I'm sure he's just enjoying the attention that the majority of his comments here tend to attract. If not, I still don't give a shit :)

I've never wiped my ass while unconscious either. Don't get me wrong Johnny ... I don't have a care in the world for your safety, nor do I have a hard ass pro-aad opinion. If it were a decision of jumping without vs. buying an aad and jumping very little that season, I would probably go without (the aad) until I could afford one. I just wouldn't advertise it, because no matter where you go ... there will always be someone who wants to give a 90 minute speech about how you should never ever jump without one.

I was only curious to know what the specifics are about you not wanting one, considering that you or someone close to you can afford it and the overall cost of purchase/maintenance over a lifetime of skydiving is extremely low.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I was only curious to know what the specifics are about you not wanting one, considering that you or someone close to you can afford it and the overall cost of purchase/maintenance over a lifetime of skydiving is extremely low.

Well since you don't care about my safety I shouldn't answer, but since I 'love the attention' and about 87.3% of the shit on this site doesn't matter, Ill entertain your question.

Sure, AAD's are one the best inventions ever. I mean, it could save your life. COULD. For someone (myself) that will probably only make 150-200 jumps a year at a small DZ (Cessna 182 and a 206), I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

"But Johnny, why not just buy a used container and use the money you saved to buy an AAD? "

Because I don't want one, and it's my choice.

And, Ill be so much more badass and gnarcore for not jumping with one...

Well, your choice is your choice. And that 'I'm a super newbie and I'm going against the grain' attitude about not choosing to use a life saving device? Have fun with that. In the meantime, the rest us will be jumping at the dropzones you're not allowed to jump at.

And about the original topic... regardless of how much money your parents will drop on a rig for you, I would still suggest getting a used rig. At 30 jumps, you don't know what you want in a rig yet. I'm nearing 100 jumps and I have no idea what I want in one yet. When I buy a custom rig, I'm gonna make damn sure my landings are consistent, because I don't want my new baby in a sorry state after just one season.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Look around, there is no rigs that are honestly priced for Newly Licensed jumpers unless it was made in 1990 and then there is no way I am jumping into life saving gear that old.

Rig, canopy and reserve all under 300-400 jumps for $1200 and all of it manufactured in 97 :P

At 30 jumps, you don't know what you want in a rig yet. I'm nearing 100 jumps and I have no idea what I want in one yet.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but with a little research you can have a pretty good idea of what you want and don't want in a rig. :o
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

If you can afford it buy a new one, use it for a while then either sell it and buy another or keep it and buy another. Yeah it'll get scuffed up but if you can afford it then no worries.

If you don't want an AAD then don't buy one but don't expect any sympathy if you go in with nothing out, not that you would be there to appreciate it.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Some dropzones, some events, and some countries, don't allow you to jump without an AAD. You can also remove the AAD during the semi annual repack when you don't need it.

Everyone is pointing out that AAD's are mandatory at some DZ's. Thats all fine and good if the DZO has a policy for what to do with the jumper saved by an AAD. What needs to be done is a grounding for that jumper 90% of the cases. I have seen too many AAD fires for no good excuse. These people get packed back up and are right back in the air in no time. I have seen several in one week at a lerge DZ I was at. First was the girl who couldn't find her reserve ripcord because of her new boobs (they were nice but not that big). Others were a guy and a girl who both just blew saving their lives out their asses. Having a mandatory AAD rule is fine but penalize the sap who has no ability or sense to save their own lives.

Just my two cents.