JohnnyMarko

New container for first rig

Yes, I know how to use the search button

Im buying for first rig and Im thinking about buying a NEW Wings Container made for a 190, buy a used 190, which will put me right around 1:1...then eventually move down to a 170, whenever that comes (not for a while)

So my question, does that seem out there for a newly licensed jumper to buy a new container in hopes of using that for a while?

does that seem out there for a newly licensed jumper to buy a new container in hopes of using that for a while?

certainly better than buying the whole system new and if your buying something new it's clearly best to be a container. But I still think you get best value for your money by buying good condition used gear for your first rig if you can find one. Depending on how much you jump, it may not be that long a time till you want to downsize again.

But I still think you get best value for your money by buying good condition used gear for your first rig if you can find one.

Not to sound like a spoiled brat, but my parents are kinda filthy rich and are helping me pay for my first rig...HELPING, not totally paying for it...

Ive had a job since I was 14 and I pay for my own schooling and paid for everything to get my A License and now they're rewarding me and helping me buy for first rig, which is why Im choosing to get a new container

I'll give you my measurements if you want to convince your parents to buy a backup rig as well.

In all seriousness, the process starts with your main canopy. Rent a few to see what you like. Talk to instructors to make sure it's the correct size for your experience level.

Once you have, or are close to procuring that main, order your container, something that is appropriate for your chosen main. No point in having a container that your main doesn't fit into. It's a good idea to look ahead and see what you might downsize to, but it's a better idea to get a container that fits something appropriate for you, reserve included.

Many people will tell you to buy used, but padded legloops are a godsend. Plus, you'll appreciate your container more since it fits you perfectly and you've had a chance to design the color scheme as you want.

Yes, I know how to use the search button

Im buying for first rig and Im thinking about buying a NEW Wings Container made for a 190, buy a used 190, which will put me right around 1:1...then eventually move down to a 170, whenever that comes (not for a while)

So my question, does that seem out there for a newly licensed jumper to buy a new container in hopes of using that for a while?

Since you can generally go two sizes smaller while still having decent closing loop tension, that container should be good through a 150.

Using the accepted 1.0 + .1 / 100 jump wing loading rule, you may be ready for a 135 at 400 jumps.

So you might expect to replace that rig after 400 jumps which is 2-3 years for many recreational skydivers.

With a new container your AAD and reserve won't come with a package discount so you'll spend more.

You'll also be paying for gear rental for a few months more. I could have thrown my first container + reserve in the trash after a couple months and still come out ahead financially.

In all seriousness, the process starts with your main canopy.

NO! >:( In all seriousness, the process starts with your reserve.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I would look for a complete used setup and see if your parents will just get you that. You may not find anything that fits you that you like, BUT you may get lucky like I did.

I got mine at my DZ thru an awesome instructor almost 2 years ago. It is an Aerodyne Icon (Made in 9/05) with a Smart 160 Reserve for $1700. I was GIVEN a PD Sabre 170 (thanks Montana!) that needed a new lineset right away but including the first reserve repack and new lines I spent just under $2200 (no AAD though).

I have put almost 350 jumps on that rig and I still have that setup. My w/l is kind of low (1.05) but I still have a blast flying my canopy and I have the ability to downsize to a 135 with the same container and it fits me perfectly. I intend to put at least 400 jumps on this canopy before downsizing; though at this point I cannot find a reason to jump a smaller canopy. (Well in high/moderate winds my final is pretty much straight down lol) Flying my canopy is normally my favorite part of the jump next to the exit!

Again, I know I got lucky...(thanks Lelo & Kody!)...but you might too!

Good luck!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

New jumper here, so take the below advice for whatever its worth.

I bought a used container right off student status only jumping it 3 times (winds) and thought I liked it, so I bought it; jumped 10 more times and hated it; It was bruising the heck out of my shoulders and inner thighs just like the student and rental gear did. I went to a boogie and tried some other rigs and really realized how much I hated my rig. So I decided I wanted something made based on my body measurements, since I am oddly shaped. ;)

I based my decisions on SAFETY / what should I be able to handle in an emergency situation basis; therefore, my decision of what size container to buy was based mostly on my wingloading under a reserve based on my ST&A, DZO and instructors advice.

We decided I would need a 175 reserve to be a conservative 1:1 w/l. We looked at ICON because they were having a GREAT sale on containers. I talked to Aerodyne and inquired about Mains to fit the container with the 175 reserve. He instructed that I could get an ICON I5 and put a 188ZPX since it has a smaller pack volume. I was able to fit it in just fine, even slippery as it was. Then he told me the container is actually made for a 168, so I could put a 168 or a 168 zpx in it and be perfect. This is where I think I will be after a few hundred jumps with the 188. And if I feel real frisky he said I could put a normal 150 ZP in this container and it would still be fine and not too loose. I dont anticipate getting that frisky, but it made me feel better knowing I could potentially downsize 3 times in one rig.

But no matter the above I will have comfort knowing that I have a 175 reserve that could save my arse and hopefully limit any unecessary injuries. So 3 downsizes in a container made for my body; for me it was worth it!!! I have 20 jumps on my new container and no bruises and LOVE it! Makes me LOVE Skydiving even more.

Friend bought a new rig, didnt ask any questions, liked the look and color of it and only after purchase realized he couldnt pack the main becuase it was so tight in the container (even experienced jumpers have trouble packing it) and his reserve right off student status gave him a w/l 1.25 w/l; he's now broken [:/]

My main advice: Think Reserve First, Main second. Ask lots of questions! I think the DZO and ST&A that I bought my rig through maybe cringed a little when I called since i asked so many questions. There are lots of questions to ask:
1. Reserve based on safety and your skill level today!!!
2. Main most appropriate for your skill level today with a some thought of your next progression.
3. Type lines want
4. Type AAD if any
5. Type RSL if any
6. Pud style- PUD,FF, PVC, etc. (note FF handle is a push and pull technique for withdrawl. This is one of those questions I didnt ask, but luckily when I got my new rig my ST&A went through all the components of it he pointed that out before I jumped it...whew!!
7. Reserve handle sliver or fabric. (Lots of opinions on this one in the field.)
8. Size Risers-most are fairly standard, but if you have short or longer arms this might need to be asked
9. narrow chest strap or normal.
10. Type material; cordura, foam pad, etc.
11. Then the color option things for all the above

I may have missed something, but I believe I should be close.

Whatever you decide, know that you made an informed decision.

GOOD LUCK and BLUE SKIES!!!B|

THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

Buying a used container is for people that can't afford a new one.. ;) I bought a new container (obviously custom fitted) and I'm glad I did. There's always someone at the dz who bought a used container and it doesn't fit them right and they're trying to sell it 20 jumps later. Don't be that guy.

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Buying a used container is for people that can't afford a new one.. ;) I bought a new container (obviously custom fitted) and I'm glad I did. There's always someone at the dz who bought a used container and it doesn't fit them right and they're trying to sell it 20 jumps later. Don't be that guy.

My first used container fit fine.

If you try it on before you buy, you can guarantee that it fits.

If you take your height in inches, subtract your inseam, and subtract 20 you end up with a main lift web length. If that matches the rig and it's previous owner had similar girth it should fit.

Given your measurements and a serial number, you can ask the manufacturer whether it will fit and get a good answer.

More jumps and tunnel time will do more for your jumping than more money on gear rentals and depreciation on the first rig.

Obviously, if you can't get a used container in your size it may be more reasonable to get a new one than to have a new harness put on an old one.

new Wings Container, your Basic price is around 1 grand, cheap enough, I am willing to be you can get one with options for 1500 or less. If you can throw in enough to get a new Reserve that would bring your price to around 2600ish. Then you can demo a couple PD canopies, pick up a used AAD and be good for a couple hundred jumps.

I never worry about money. I have no bills, no wife, no kids. I bought a new rig before I was off student status. For everyone that says buy used... Look around, there is no rigs that are honestly priced for Newly Licensed jumpers unless it was made in 1990 and then there is no way I am jumping into life saving gear that old.
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

Im not getting an AAD...let the battle begin :S...

I'll just wait for the first person to tell you that, "if you don't get an AAD for yourself, do it for the safety of those around you." I love those posts.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

But I still think you get best value for your money by buying good condition used gear for your first rig if you can find one.

Not to sound like a spoiled brat, but my parents are kinda filthy rich and are helping me pay for my first rig...HELPING, not totally paying for it...

Ive had a job since I was 14 and I pay for my own schooling and paid for everything to get my A License and now they're rewarding me and helping me buy for first rig, which is why Im choosing to get a new container

TMI man...TMI. No one gives a shit why you can afford a new rig.

In all seriousness, the process starts with your main canopy[...]Talk to instructors to make sure it's the correct size for your experience level.

I have...a lot

What? Experience or talked to you instructors? :P:P:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

TMI man...TMI. No one gives a shit why you can afford a new rig.

You want a hug?

In all seriousness, the process starts with your main canopy[...]Talk to instructors to make sure it's the correct size for your experience level.

I have...a lot

What? Experience or talked to you instructors? :P:P:P

??? Duh, talked with my in...damnit, I fell for it

new Wings Container, your Basic price is around 1 grand, cheap enough, I am willing to be you can get one with options for 1500 or less. If you can throw in enough to get a new Reserve that would bring your price to around 2600ish. Then you can demo a couple PD canopies, pick up a used AAD and be good for a couple hundred jumps.

I never worry about money. I have no bills, no wife, no kids. I bought a new rig before I was off student status. For everyone that says buy used... Look around, there is no rigs that are honestly priced for Newly Licensed jumpers unless it was made in 1990 and then there is no way I am jumping into life saving gear that old.

I have two complete rigs....one is a new wings container I bought on student status with a sabre 2 and a raven. The other is a vector 1 built in 1986 with a rigger built main of the same year. I recently verified the whole system actually had less than 20 jumps on it and I have jumped it and it worked just fine. Age doesn't matter in the slightest if the gear is in good shape. That's why you have a rigger check it out for you. There is nothing wrong with used gear as long as it is in decent shape. Do what you think is best for you. I like my new rig.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging