npgraphicdesign

People that don't jump often.

I'm passionate about skydiving as much as they are...but I just can't dedicate as much time to my passion as I want to, at least at this point in time.

Obviously, you're not, or you'd be living in a trailer at the dz eating ramen noodles.

The fact is, if you really were, you'd find a way to be getting in jumps instead of not going out to the dz.

It doesn't take a lot of jumps to get a coach or instructor rating to actually start paying for your jumping -- none to start packing. i've seen many packers who make more money than the instructors at the dz. So it can be done.

Good example of a skygod. npgraphicdesign, don't let people like this here or at your DZ bother you. You are better off not associating with people that have this attitude.

I didn't say he's not passionate, just not as passionate.

One could also say that he is every bit as passionate as the guy in the trailer eatem Ramen noodles. He just isn't as obsessed.

Draw a distinction between passion and obsession. I think the guy spending every nickle on jumps and eating ramen noodles is obsessed and has a life that is WAY out of balance.

But then thats just my opinion.
__

My mighty steed

For the record, I have 65 jumps, and received my license in January of last year.

This is the problem right here.

If you got your A in 09 and have made 40 or so jumps in the 15 months since then, that's 2 or 3 a month. You are not doing enough to stay current, let alone learn knew skills. Your words say that you are into this sport, but your actions are saying another, you're getting called on it.

You are receiving some smart-ass comments from instructors/upjumpers at your DZ because they know you are not into learning to survive in this sport, but just enough to kill yourself or someone around you.

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, just letting you know that the reasons you are not able to get time in the air do not matter, just the result. The people commenting on that fact are trying to motivate you to be there more often. What you should worry about more is when they stop commenting to you, because they have given up.

See below.

Jump more, post less!

by definition, passion is

any violent or intense emotion that prevents reflection

'prevents reflection' Therefore, if someone is very passionate about something it is not necessary or be logical or use financial common sense in making decisions. Someone who foregoes common sense or other reasons for taking a conservative path is by definition more passionate about something than someone who likes it but decides to think first before taking action on it.

Has nothing to do with my opinion of the OP or with my being a 'skygod' or any other ridiculous things people want to imply. It's simply English....

Essentially all I've been saying all along is the OP has a right to do as many jumps as he pleases for whatever reason he wants, but he should have a thcker skin when/if people make statements to/about him because of those decisions, especially when what they said is essentially correct by definition.

For those that think I'm taking things too literally, why do you think it is called 'language'.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

For the record, I have 65 jumps, and received my license in January of last year.

This is the problem right here.

If you got your A in 09 and have made 40 or so jumps in the 15 months since then, that's 2 or 3 a month. You are not doing enough to stay current, let alone learn knew skills. Your words say that you are into this sport, but your actions are saying another, you're getting called on it.

You are receiving some smart-ass comments from instructors/upjumpers at your DZ because they know you are not into learning to survive in this sport, but just enough to kill yourself or someone around you.

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, just letting you know that the reasons you are not able to get time in the air do not matter, just the result. The people commenting on that fact are trying to motivate you to be there more often. What you should worry about more is when they stop commenting to you, because they have given up.

See below.

:S:o

To the OP, I remember that you and I began skydiving around the same time. Since that time, many many things have happened in my life that has made skydiving take a back seat. I have not lost the passion and not one day goes by that I don't think of my EP's and what I am going to practice under canopy the next chance I get. I lurk on DZ .com all the time just to stay as informed as possible, I dream, I stay in shape etc. My currency at this time is at it's bare minimum, I feel blessed to even have that (On top of life disasters, money problems, husband problems and children I have to drive 4 hours to the nearest dz) but I still do it.

Who cares what they think. I do not cuss, don't really party, don't talk about sexual dirtyness etc so many of the skygods at the dz I frequented did not think I was "cool" who cares? lol not me, I know who I am. I love skydiving and I have my priorities in order. One day we will all die, it might not be in a skydiving accident but it will happen. Those that become so obsessed with this sport that they ignore all other aspects of life (truly out of balance) they will grow old one day and they will find that there isn't much there....edited to add, because they never invested anything elsewhere.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Due to money/time constraints, and trying to find a job in my field, I can't spend too much money on jumping, which equates to one or two weekends (one day each weekend) per month, in a best case scenario.

You have made more jumps than I did my first year, and you have the rest of your life to skydive.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

if you do not like where you are - find somewhere else. sometimes that is tough. I understand fully that people do not have the money they used to have and I also understand that skydiving is NOT necessarily the 'all-encompassing life-changing' thing for everyone.

So if you want to jump less often, the dropzone still likes your money I would hope; and I try not to make it too difficult to stay current and/or help them with that goal, even if it is one jump per month.

But I am also realistic about it - i.e. If you are going to jump once eveyr 6 months, then you are never going to learn how to skydive and it is going to be expensive. But no need to be condescending abou tit.

I would not worry about what other people say. If you are old enough to skydive, you should be old enough to deal with or ignore comments from other people.

I took two years off from skydiving after my second son was born. I still only get to the DZ only 1 or 2 times a month. I am welcomed with open arms each time. I get good natured teasing about being the only responsible adult on the DZ; but, the key is it is good natured.

As far as currency, I had a talk with my original instructor when I decided to take time off. Her comments were:

1) The sky will always be there.
2) Every weekend we have student jump safely. As long as I keep my jumps simple and continue to jump my big canopy (Safire 189) she saw no reason I can't make 3-5 jumps a month and be safe.
3) Sit in on the first jump class when I have not jumped in a while. I help her with the harness, etc and get a refresher. I also serve as the bad example. ;)

Life is about balance and choices. You need to find what fits your life.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Sounds like your dealing with a bunch of rude ass yanks!:P:D:ph34r: Thats BS. Dont know the answer since i havent seen it first hand, but you should correct there ass when they talk shit!:)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

One thing you could do that has helped me keep jumping as frequently as my family life will let me, is maybe trade some graphic design work to a DZ near you. Barter your services. That way you also won't turn skydiving into a job (eg. packer, coach), but take your current profession and turn it into a few more jumps every now and then.

You do awesome work from what I saw on your npgraphicdesign.com site. Most DZ's have really antiquated websites and/or graphic marketing. I do work for two different local DZ's and built up enough jump credits for the next few years of jumping a couple days a week, all day, at either DZ.

The one local DZ didn't want anything to do with the barter idea until I made a website anyway for them just to show them what I could do and they ended up loving it and going through with the barter anyway.
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

Sounds like your dealing with a bunch of rude ass yanks!:P:D:ph34r: Thats BS. Dont know the answer since i havent seen it first hand, but you should correct there ass when they talk shit!:)

I dunno... anyone that takes months off after getting their A-license because it's too cold (even though old, jaded jumpers keep on jumping) deserves to get picked on at least a little. :)
Dave

I dunno... anyone that takes months off after getting their A-license because it's too cold (even though old, jaded jumpers keep on jumping) deserves to get picked on at least a little. :)
Dave

Just because I"m Russian doesn't mean I like jumping in negative degree weather. I don't mind skiing..but jumping? BRRRRR!!!
:P

For those that think I'm taking things too literally, why do you think it is called 'language'.

The next word you should look up is 'hyperbole'. =P

Personally, I seriously doubt the OP thinks he's *literally* as passionate about skydiving as the the jumper who sells all his shit and lives in a trailer on the dz. All I heard from his statement was "I love to jump from planes as much as the next guy, but I have neither the time/inclination/desire to make it my sole purpose in life." Am I gleaning too much?

Anyways, skydiving is different things to different people. If this guy wants to jump only 2 - 3 times a month, right on. Will he improve? Not likely. Would I jump with him? Not unless my slot was covered. :) But I certainly don't think infrequent jumpers automatically "deserve" to be treated with disrespect... unless, of course, they're douche bags to begin with or something. :)

Like many things in life, it depends on where you look.

Sparky

merriam-webster: a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The next word you should look up is 'hyperbole'. =P

Personally, I seriously doubt the OP thinks he's *literally* as passionate about skydiving as the the jumper who sells all his shit and lives in a trailer on the dz. All I heard from his statement was "I love to jump from planes as much as the next guy, but I have neither the time/inclination/desire to make it my sole purpose in life." Am I gleaning too much?

Anyways, skydiving is different things to different people. If this guy wants to jump only 2 - 3 times a month, right on. Will he improve? Not likely. Would I jump with him? Not unless my slot was covered. :) But I certainly don't think infrequent jumpers automatically "deserve" to be treated with disrespect... unless, of course, they're douche bags to begin with or something. :)

Yea you're gleaning too much :P:ph34r::D

All jokes aside..i may not spend enough time at the DZ, but I read and learn a lot, as much as I can outside of the DZ. I know that reading doesn't equate to actual learning you do in the sky, but it helps a bit.

Regarding your comment about 'not jumping if your slot was covered', that's pretty condescending. I've jumped with people before that have had over 1000 jumps, and aside from helpful criticism and a 'good job' on those one or two things I DID do right, I heard nothing else..not being snobby, or arrogant, or condescending, etc. You can be critical without being arrogant or condescending..maybe some people could learn that :P

Dave

Just because I"m Russian doesn't mean I like jumping in negative degree weather. I don't mind skiing..but jumping? BRRRRR!!!

So you take the winter months off? Ok your a pussy and deserve everything you get!:P Damn pansy!;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Like many things in life, it depends on where you look.

Sparky

merriam-webster: a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest

So if I think my parachute looks very sexy in its current color scheme, is that a problem? :D:ph34r::P

Dave

So you take the winter months off? Ok your a pussy and deserve everything you get!:P Damn pansy!;)

You got me John :P

Has nothing to do with my opinion of the OP or with my being a 'skygod' or any other ridiculous things people want to imply.

Now dont be putting words in my mouth, brother.

I didn't say or imply that I thought you were a skygod or anything else.

I was merely throwing my own two cents in regarding how one defines passionate.

I dont think that putting skydiving before all else is a demonstration of passion, although the person that does so must certainly be passionate about it.

I'm very passionate about it as well, but I had to take 2 over years off from jumping because my young son got in trouble with the law and the only way I could pay for it was to sell my gear.

Am I less passionate than you, or do I just have more pressing obligations that prevent my being able to indulge my passion to the exclusion of all else?

I think it demonstrates a lack of balance or common sense when one is willing to sacrifice stability in all other areas of ones life in order to get more jumps.

I also said that this is just my opinion.
__

My mighty steed

Regarding your comment about 'not jumping if your slot was(n't) covered', that's pretty condescending.

Your opinion on that will change as you gain experience, guaranteed. Most people reach a point where 'zoo dives' are no longer worth the $20 jump ticket. It's not that noobs "aren't worth my time"... it's only that I'm just more discriminating about how I spend my skydiving dollars than I was, say, 500 jumps ago.