OwenSearls

Contacts and Flying

I have around a 100 jumps and am starting to get my own gear and move away from all the rental/first time gear. Because im a vain person and want to look cool as i jump i would like to get Gator sunglasses instead of using the clear standard goggles,lol. the only problem with this is that i wear contacts. Ive asked around my DZ but havent really heard of anyone who jumps in glasses and wears contacts....just wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with this or has any alternatives i could try.

Thanks.

I used to have bad luck on every type of goggles except the easy, cheap plastic kind that are one piece of plastic with a cord around my head. Now I only jump in either those type of goggles or my full face.

If you have a contact bail on you in freefall, just stick it in your mouth as soon as you land (assuming it's inside your goggle and didn't fly out the space above your super-stylish shades). Your saliva will re-moisturize it and by the time you drop your gear off you can stick it back in your eye. Sounds a little gross but it works:)

I got nuthin

Lippi is right about saving your contacts in your mouth. I've been doing it for years when I have to wear goggles. I only wear goggles when I'm filming tandems otherwise I wear a flip up full face.

I'm very particular about the lenses I put in front of my eyes. I hate anything that distorts my vision which most goggles do. That's why I like the flip up. It goes up just as soon as possible.

However I have found some goggles that are pretty dark and don't distort. They look very much like sunglasses and have have a wide strap around the back. When I snug them down I never loose my contacts.

I highly recommend them and they're only $13.00.

www.I-gogs.com

There web site is under construction but you can get there phone number.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I use thesehttp://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=11270&TabID=137&cs=1. They are kind of cheap and I go through about 1 pair every 400 skydives. The foam makes a tight seal and works great, if you get them and they are adjusted tight to pull on the sides of the glasses near the elastic band (the hinge is kind of a weak point)
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Putting contacts from mouth to eye is not very wise. First, saliva is acidic. Second, there are a lot of bacteria in your mouth. Third, anything that goes on your contact stays in your contact, it doesn't rinse out even with a squirt of saline.

A better option is to just keep spare contacts with you. I have almost 1000 jumps, all with contacts. I lost a lens 2 times in that number of jumps, and don't wear that brand of contact any more because it would pop out when dry (and it dried out very quickly).

I wear one day lenses that are perfect for jumping and easy to keep spares with me.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I wear one day lenses that are perfect for jumping and easy to keep spares with me.

Hey chica LTNS

Can yuo recomend a good lens for my type of contacty (soft multi use)c my script is to big for disposables (or it used to be).
I have a +250(ish)/ -750(ish) script for specs.

I haven't checked on the advances in Contact lenses since my last pair over 20 years ago.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you have poor vision I wouldn't risk letting one or possibly both of your contacts coming out of your eyes. I was once wearing a new pair of goggles and didn't have them tight enough on exit. As soon as I was out of the plane one of my contacts blew out of my eye. It was quite unpleasant landing with distorted depth perception due to only having one contact in. After landing I found the contact stuck to the inside of the goggles, I put it in my mouth until I could get back to the hanger and put it back in. BTW - keeping your contacts in your mouth is just fine for a quick fix, I don't know why anyone would want to do it on a regular basis though.

ETA: If you are able to rinse off the contact and pending you have no corneal abrasion(s) you'll likely be fine putting the contact back in.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Cruv-Z are hands down the best goggles for juming with contacts I've come across yet.

http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesEyewear.htm

Scroll about halfway down and check out the "Riding Glasses" only 20 bucks for a pair. I've found that they usually ship with these with a cheap head straps, so as long as you secure that strap with some Gaffers tape you can tighten them down real good before exit. A couple of us at DMV have this set-up with no issues with contacts coming out.
ZC OG

Because im a vain person and want to look cool as i jump

News flash - you have 100 jumps, and nothing but more jumps is going to make you look cool while you jump.

Here's what you do - wear your cool sunglasses in the plane, and two minutes before exit, stash them in your jumpsuit pocket, and put on a functional pair of googles.

Look for ones that provide a good seal from the wind, and offer the widest field of vision. Protecting your contacts, and maintaining useful vision should be very high on your list of priorities.

After you land, retrieve your cool shades from your jumpsuit, and return them to your face. Total time not looking cool - less than five minutes, the five mintues from jumprun to landing, when as mentioned before, you look like a guy with 100 jumps aka, not that cool anyway.

SORZ goggles... worn tighter when freeflying or tracking.

I hate landing with just one contact.

Full face helmets with the shield removed feels more like skydiving... less confined/fogged up. Just put your goggles on first.

Always keep a few spares in your gear bag and car.

I have contacts and I wear my pair of Gatorz under my Mamba full face helmet. If you are willing to spend some $$ I'd also suggest http://www.liquideyewear.com/ They have a foam gasket that slips in under the rubber and appears to be very form fitting. Of course you can always ask Scott Campos. He knows alot more about them than I do, but I can tell you that the person that started Liquid Eyewear used to work for Gatorz in the past.

I've gone through about 10 pairs of goggles in the short time I've been jumping and SORZ have been by far the most disappointing.

My beef with SORZ is the shitty foam seal they use. They are great for about 10-15 jumps, then the foam begins to peel away from the goggle making them absolutely useless. I’ve tried to jump them even with a little bit of the foam coming off near my forehead, and it was enough for the wind to get in and send my contacts flying.
ZC OG

Adidas A136...
they have a GREAT strap and you can get inserts to place on the inside (like glasses within your glasses)

i used them until i got the laser treatment...

great product and i still use the glasses without the inserts now too
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

While I only have one tandem jump under my belt, I would recommend looking into prescription goggles. I wore my prescription goggles for my jump and had no problems what so ever. They have foam around the lens and a strap around the back, similar to this: http://www.sight4sport.co.uk/catalog/images/Gull%20goggles.jpg

If your insurance covers eyes and glasses, you may be able to get a pair next time you are eligible.

I have around a 100 jumps and am starting to get my own gear and move away from all the rental/first time gear. Because im a vain person and want to look cool as i jump i would like to get Gator sunglasses instead of using the clear standard goggles,lol. the only problem with this is that i wear contacts. Ive asked around my DZ but havent really heard of anyone who jumps in glasses and wears contacts....just wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with this or has any alternatives i could try.

Where's the *technical* problem? I started with lenses which, finally, where not that comfortable. Since years, my own glasses plus tight strapped 'tandem goggles' perfectly work.

Do I look cool? I'm so absolutely sure. B|

If not, who cares? ;)

B|B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105