PolinaVin

Flag Jump

PolinaVin

A wofo friend of mine asked me to do a flag jump and I was wondering what complications/ factors I should consider if I decided to do the jump. This wouldn't be a demo jump. I have 440 jumps and about 5 Crew jumps.
Thanks!

A flag jump IS a demo jump.
Where are you jumping and landing?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

What Grimm said.
There are so many things to consider;
-Containing the flag
-deploying with a flag
-attention span when connecting/setting up
-attachment points
-canopy choice
-landing
-emergency procedures

>>These are just the bullet points. The only thing "demo" brings to the table is whether you're landing in front of a crowd. The rest is the same, and it requires significantly more attention and focus on detail than you'll find on the internet.
Find not only an S&TA, but someone that has a fair amount of experience with flags.
FWIW, the size of the flag is a bit of a conversation, but the elements of any addition to your rig/setup really does matter. A 5' flag can hurt you just as easily as a 50' flag.

Like grimmie said, "Sit down with the S&TA at your DZ and discuss this. "

You want to do it safe, legal and right or not at all.

Also, if jumping Old Glory please use proper flag Etiquette
since that flag represents all who served under it, your Nation, and your fellow citizens.

Do your homework, do your planning, get cleared by your S&TA, do your practing and then go do it right if feasible.:)

www.geronimoskydiving.com

ufk22

***A wofo friend of mine asked me to do a flag jump and I was wondering what complications/ factors I should consider if I decided to do the jump. This wouldn't be a demo jump. I have 440 jumps and about 5 Crew jumps.
Thanks!

A flag jump isn't necessarily a demo jump. A demo is a demo. A flag jump is a flag jump. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not.

If one jumps a flag at the DZ for practice for example it would not be a demo. Not that the difference really matters in the context of this thread, but I hate to see blatantly incorrect information spread.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

A flag jump isn't necessarily a demo jump. A demo is a demo. A flag jump is a flag jump. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not.

If one jumps a flag at the DZ for practice for example it would not be a demo. Not that the difference really matters in the context of this thread, but I hate to see blatantly incorrect information spread.

I jump a small flag almost every fun jump I make...for a couple of reasons.

~it adds the technical tasks associated to an 'otherwise' low stress jump (comparatively speaking, regarding an actual demo) Practice makes perfect. B|

~it tends to get noticed by people setting up for the pattern, being SEEN is a GOOD thing! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

chuckakers

******A wofo friend of mine asked me to do a flag jump and I was wondering what complications/ factors I should consider if I decided to do the jump. This wouldn't be a demo jump. I have 440 jumps and about 5 Crew jumps.
Thanks!

If one jumps a flag at the DZ for practice for example it would not be a demo. Not that the difference really matters in the context of this thread, but I hate to see blatantly incorrect information spread.My point was that anytime you jump with a flag it's not a normal skydive. Whether you're landing at the airport or landing in a private back yard, a flag jump has to be treated differently than a skydive. I've got a number of flag jumps, with little and with really big, and I treat even the practice ones like a real demo. Where I exit, how I fly, where I fly, how I land.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ufk22

*********A wofo friend of mine asked me to do a flag jump and I was wondering what complications/ factors I should consider if I decided to do the jump. This wouldn't be a demo jump. I have 440 jumps and about 5 Crew jumps.
Thanks!

If one jumps a flag at the DZ for practice for example it would not be a demo. Not that the difference really matters in the context of this thread, but I hate to see blatantly incorrect information spread.My point was that anytime you jump with a flag it's not a normal skydive. Whether you're landing at the airport or landing in a private back yard, a flag jump has to be treated differently than a skydive. I've got a number of flag jumps, with little and with really big, and I treat even the practice ones like a real demo. Where I exit, how I fly, where I fly, how I land.

I don't have a problem with your logic, just the terminology you used. There are many new jumpers who look to these forums for information so it's important to discern between language used to get a point across and the literal use of terms.

I wouldn't want someone to believe that because a person is jumping a flag that they are therefore performing a demo jump by definition.

Probably better to simply call any jump that is out of the ordinary an "extraordinary" jump.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

I don't have a problem with your logic, just the terminology you used. There are many new jumpers who look to these forums for information so it's important to discern between language used to get a point across and the literal use of terms.

I wouldn't want someone to believe that because a person is jumping a flag that they are therefore performing a demo jump by definition.

Probably better to simply call any jump that is out of the ordinary an "extraordinary" jump.

Thanks for emphasizing the point, Chuck. We need to watch our words carefully. Like saying "This handle release your main and then this handle releases your reserve." Well Hell, if I've released my main canopy, I need a handle to deploy my reserve, not release it. :P