ington6

Has anyone ever jumped out of a float plane?

I can find the performance numbers for a beaver on floats

Ask and you shall receive:

Our beavers have the upgross kits so

Gross weight: 5370 lbs
Useful load: Average 2000 lbs
MAx speed: 151 mph
Cruising speed: 127 mph
Stall (Flaps up): 60 mph
Stall (Full Flaps): 45
Take off dist: 1610 feet
Landing: 1510 feet
Initial Rate of Climb: 920 fpm
Rate of climb Max Cont power: 740 fpm @ SL
685 fpm @ 5K
410 fpm @ 10K
MCA (Full Flaps): 65 mph

Anything else?

Wow thanks, . Well yeah, do you personally think it is reasonable to run tandems from a beaver with floats? The location is very remote and the extra cost could be passed along to the jumpers. Also, how many gallons per load do you think a beaver with floats would go through? Looks like they would have to be 10k jumps from sea level, hand cams, and maybe 4 tandems? or 3 with a fun jumper or camera flyer.

A beaver with the cabin extention is about the same size as a porter (cabin dimensions).
A beaver without the extention is about the size of a Cessna 207 (just a little wider).
It will burn around 35-40 gph at max cont climb.
The issue that you would have would be the tandems exiting the aircraft. The floats stick out about 2 feet on either side of the aircraft. You could not exit a tandem without hitting the floats.
Second, the steps that go down to the floats are very narrow. (2 inches wide) with nothing to hold on to. A single jumper could climb down, but it would be impossible for a tandem.

If you can figure a way for them to easily get on the floats or clear the floats from the door then just about any float plane can be jumped with a tandem.
A slide may be a good idea. Just don't make it out of wood. Splinters would be a bitch.

Well thats a simple fix, just build a slide the goes from the door to the floats and slide out of the plane.

Technically that may work, just make sure you engineer for:
- Wind blowing you off the side of the slide. (use slight curved lip, or very wide slide, or slide slanted towards the rear)
- Use a downward-curved lip at end of the slide (Could even follow outer contour of floats), so that you gracefully catapult beyond the floats without snagging the reserve flap or hitting your head as your butt goes into freefall.
- Aerodynamics, more of a consideration if slide is not completely flat.
- Stowage or low-wind-profile mount. This may be tricky, especially if the slide is not completely flat.
- Exit stability considerations after sliding on exit slide.
- Liability considerations.

To figure out the performance of a plane on floats, it's the float plane community will know more than most skydivers...

As for the "has anyone jumped" aspect of the thread, back in the late 90s there was a tiny local DZ that didn't have its runway ready yet, so operated the C-185 (?) on floats off a nearby river. It made group exits fun -- just line up standing on the float.

The scary part was down at the marina where we boarded. You wanted to watch your step going from dock to float, when wearing a rig and 10 pounds of lead!

So you want to jump a float plane, eh? You really should contact Tom Sanders at Aerial Focus because he has "been there, done that" and he has the photos to prove it. I've attached a tiny thumbnail FYI.

Hey, that's me.
So yes, it can be done.

I talked to a pilot that flys people back and fourth and I been flying with him for 5 years back and fourth from camp at Dull Island in a Beaver with floats in SouthEast AK. He didn't have a problem with me jumping from his plane and Beavers are slow enough to bail out of! just my 2 cents