GaVak

Only Skyvan in the North East???

There is an AD in parachutist for a DZ called "Sky's the Limit". They advertise having 'the only skyvan in the north east'... I'm pretty sure this is a flat out lie. Doesn't Crosskeys in NJ have a skyvan?

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

The one that was at Crosskeys last summer is now up at Sky's the Limit due to owner/operator strife.

Oh, ok. That explains it. Seems operator/owner strife is common in the industry... It cost the DZ I go to our Twin Otter.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

That is correct, Kruse. The Skyvan sat on the ground while jumpers waited for the Super Otter. It's fun to jump a tailgate, don't get me wrong, but the jumpers used it more as a novelty. After they jumped it once or twice they wanted the Otter again.

Skydive Cross Keys has purchased, instead, a King Air that is a rocket! It gets to 13500' in 6 or 7 minutes. It is fun, and has built-in oxygen, so there will be high altitude jumps every Saturday and Sunday morning!

22,000' to start the day! And the super otter is still flying as well, so everybody is really happy. Here's a pic!

Hey Chris!
It will be every weekend day starting this Saturday. Briefing at 8am. C License. We will do one or two loads depending on demand - 10 per load. The cost right now is $40.

Shazam! I'm there as soon as my new gear arrives next week :)
__

My mighty steed

You can't really see it from the picture, so how large/small is the door, and is it as easy to exit as an otter?

King air has a much smaller door than an Otter, so you arent gonna be launching any real big chunks.
__

My mighty steed

Fixed it for you Liz.

22,000' to start the day! And the super otter will be used to find them. :)

Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

There is an AD in parachutist for a DZ called "Sky's the Limit". They advertise having 'the only skyvan in the north east'... I'm pretty sure this is a flat out lie. Doesn't Crosskeys in NJ have a skyvan?

~Gav

The only skyvan in the North East is now in Canada.. currenly working it way to the Parachute School of Toronto. It will be there until the end of the month I am told. I am thinking the last time a tailgate was in Canada for civilian jumps was the Carabou in the early 90s.

Sorry, I know this is off-topic but I'd like to see more pics of the KA as well. Is it a 90 with -34's on it?

Blue Skies,
Jason

This is the King air they had a few years ago. Dont know that its the same one, but it can give you an idea what they look like.
__

My mighty steed

Sorry, I know this is off-topic but I'd like to see more pics of the KA as well. Is it a 90 with -34's on it?

Blue Skies,
Jason

This is the King air they had a few years ago. Dont know that its the same one, but it can give you an idea what they look like.

Thanks for the reply.

I am familier with King Airs (have made several jumps from Mullins' and two different ones at Skydive AL) but I was curious about the one she referred to in particuler because of the claim of 13,500' in 6-7 min. That sounds to me like a modified 90 like Mullins' is. I wasn't aware that there were any more of those out there.

Thanks again and Blue Skies,
Jason

Blue Skies,
Jason

Thanks for the reply.

I am familier with King Airs (have made several jumps from Mullins' and two different ones at Skydive AL) but I was curious about the one she referred to in particuler because of the claim of 13,500' in 6-7 min. That sounds to me like a modified 90 like Mullins' is. I wasn't aware that there were any more of those out there.

Jason

There are several Super Kingairs out there. The one at Skydive Atlanta is just a little slower then Mullins.

Hey Spence,

Thanks for the reply.

I had forgotten about the one at Thomaston. I got to see it earlier this year but it was overcast so I didn't get to jump it >:(.

Someone there told me that it had not been modified like Mullins' but it was just a "great climber". I think I remember someone saying that Titusville had a "Super" KA but I was thinking it was a 100.

Jason

The only skyvan in the North East is now in Canada.. currenly working it way to the Parachute School of Toronto. It will be there until the end of the month I am told. I am thinking the last time a tailgate was in Canada for civilian jumps was the Carabou in the early 90s.

That's not true. Atmosphair near Quebec City had a Skyvan during 2006 I believe.