colin

JumpRun! and Windows 7

Having just bought a new PC for the DZ that operates on Windows 7, I now find that the JumpRun manifest software doesn't run on it and there are no plans to bring out a patch or upgrade.

Yes, I can run it on another PC with XP but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for manifest software that will run on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC.

I really don't want to get into a long thread about the various benefits of different operating systems, just the manifest software.

Thanks

Colin

Have you tried compatibility mode?

+1

That mode has saved my bacon recently with old programs.

Also, depending what version you have, you could have the ability to install XP on a virtual machine.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Or in all honesty, if the pc is being used solely for jumprun, it wouldn't hurt to revert back to XP?

This is getting harder these days though, with s-ata harddrives and other drivers - having to install a floppy drive (!) about 6 times for the same pc made me not want to do that again please :S

I'd try every compatibility/administrator mode first before I'd try installing XP if I were the OP ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Or in all honesty, if the pc is being used solely for jumprun, it wouldn't hurt to revert back to XP?

This is getting harder these days though, with s-ata harddrives and other drivers - having to install a floppy drive (!) about 6 times for the same pc made me not want to do that again please :S

I'd try every compatibility/administrator mode first before I'd try installing XP if I were the OP ;)

Making a XP disk work with your SATA drive isnt that hard, you can slipstream your hard drive controller drivers (as well as any other drivers really) into your disk by using nLite. I do this when we get a machine that needs XP installed that wont detect the drive from the setup.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

One of my software vendors for security camera systems suggested there is a free XP Emulator on Mircosoft's website, and to install and use that emulator to run their XP based software.

IIRC thats the virtulization software, its not available on home premium, but, I upgraded to ultimate and it fired right upB|

Dual booting isn't really an option in my opinion, isn't the easiest to setup and maintain, and if you were going to dual boot say xp and 7 because you need xp for jumprun, then why not just boot only xp as you wouldn't need 7?

Either vmware/virtual pc or go back to xp IMO
Stay high pull low

Yes, I can run it on another PC with XP but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for manifest software that will run on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC.

I really don't want to get into a long thread about the various benefits of different operating systems, just the manifest software.

Thanks for the replies guys.

No thoughts on manifest software then?

I have never installed JumpRun, but I am a programmer myself and we also install PCs and networks for our customers. I would try the following:

1) Most of the problems that come with older software are due to UAC.
People sometimes suggest to just turn UAC off, but that is normally not a good advice. UAC is a good thing to protect your PC from malicious software.
The better way is to simply install the older application in a folder other than the default program folder.
E.g. use c:\program files.old\JumpRun for your old software. That will resolve most of the problems caused by UAC.

2) Another thing you can try is to run the installer as well as the software itself as administrator / in administrator context. For that right click the application and choose "Run as administrator" (you even need to do this if you are logged in as Administrator, again due to UAC)

3) Then you can try the different compatibility settings for running an application (do not confuse this with the XP mode, see below). You find those on the properties tab "Compatibility" of the apllication (right click application and choose "Properties", then select the tab "Compatibility")

4) If you are using Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional you can download and install XP Mode. That will give you a virtual PC running Windows XP.

5) Last but not least you can use Virtual PC to setup your own virtual machine running whatever Windows you need. Virtual PC can be downloaded for free from Microsoft and is the technique that is used by the XP-Mode. This way you can build your own XP-Mode even if your Windows 7 version does not include the original XP-Mode (although you will need a separate license for Windows XP)

Your 64-bit OS should not be a problem as all Windows 64-bit include WoW64 - a subsystem of the Windows operating system that is capable of running 32-bit applications and is included on all 64-bit versions of Windows

I hope I was able to point you in the right direction. Until now we were able to get 95 % of older software running using one or more of the described methods. Good luck !

However you could also switch to a modern manifesting software like DZ-Manager, a manifesting software that is on the market since 2005 and is used at over 50 drop zones worldwide.

More info about Fast Slots / self manifesting using DZ-Manager can be found here.

If you have questions you are welcome to contact Start Skydiving our us, the company that produces DZ-Manager.

Blue skies
mySkydive - The new German portal for skydivers
DZ-Manager - The sexy manifesting software

No thoughts on manifest software then?

I somehow over read that.
Of cause I can recommend a modern manifest software: DZ-Manager ;)

Here you can download some info.

Our Flyer:
English / German

Our Flyer regarding POS-Mode / self manifesting:
English / German

A chart showing how load-list and POS-Mode work together on the same workstation:
English / German

A sample setup at a drop zone:
English / German

If you have more questions or would like to register for the free personal version, which has 95 % of the features included in DZ-Manager professional, drop us an eMail.

Blue skies
mySkydive - The new German portal for skydivers
DZ-Manager - The sexy manifesting software

Colin, what part of jumprun isn't working.

I don't have any Windows 7 machines to test on so I haven't really seen that problem for myself yet. That said, does the client not install or are you having problems with the backend database stuff?

If the client will install, I could prolly walk you through manually setting up the SQL database for the backend. I know quite a bit about how jumprun works because I have done lots of custom programing to go along side it for my dropzone. It's really a simple program and if the client can load, getting everything else working shouldn't be that hard.

The only other place I could see some problems coming up is with the database connection. None the less - short of jumprun going away it's a problem that we will have to solve at some point here.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka