shah269

First jump after tib fib FUBAR

Best thing about not updating your profile, no1 where the hell you stand in the sport...and when your in college, the dropzone forums tend to take up a lot of time in class

I think it's a safe bet that Twardo had more jumps than you have now before you were born, and more posts than you have now before you started jumping.

Just sayin'

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Good luck and this time stay safe:PB|:)

Seriously be cool:)

Bry

thanks Bry.
Life has sucked major donkey dick lately and I can't wait to get back in the air.
I took all of your advice and sat for a few days and watched people come in for landings and looked at videos.
Sadly you swoopers make it look so easy while watching AFP students come down it just happens so fast at such a high angle! So I worked on getting my leg stronger and now i feel confident I can land a 5ft fall. Thank you so much for your help.
Now to just find a non windy day :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Now to just find a non windy day

As someone who is not the best lander himself, I'd recommend that you instead find a moderately windy day, like 10mph or so. In my experience, you'll land a lot softer than if you try to land on a no-wind day. (Assuming, of course, you land into the wind.)

The wind gusts were well over 30mph.
I'm looking at jumping a 280 at a jump wight of 220 for a 0.75 ratio.
So yes a nice steady 5mph head wind would to rather nicely.
I can't tell you how big my smile will be on my face the moment my left leg leaves the strut.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Weekends have 2 days in them, go HUGE.

Downsize for safety.

I would love to jump 2 days in a row....but I have class on Saturdays so sadly I will be taking a half day on Friday from work if the weather looks good.

As for downsizing...no thank you. Not yet. Maybe later in life.

Downsize for safety.

dont know how much i SHOULD stress that point!

:D:D:D

Don't be a nitpicker ... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

anything else below 1.3 at 50 jumps is asking for troubles! :D

hence, i'm doing my best to progres.. :)

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The wind gusts were well over 30mph.
I'm looking at jumping a 280 at a jump wight of 220 for a 0.75 ratio.

Even better if it is ZP.
I know I got MUCH softer on a Sabre 230 ZP with a good flare than a Manta 288 F111 with a good flare, but I had to know how to flare properly. (A bad flare on a 230 will hurt more than a bad flare on 288)

A good fresh F111 may be okay, but I've rarely seen F111 student gear in good enough shape to be safe for big men like you, unless you wingload it with a massive safety margin (0.7 or less, but even 0.5 can break femurs too).

Trust me and jump ZP if you can. (Gear sight-unseen, I'd even prefer a 260 ZP over a 288 F111). The student injury rate is less for ZP than F111 of the same wingload.

Based on student injuries I've heard of at many dropzones, for a student, I suggest a very small nominal safety factor multiplier, approximately 0.1 wingload pointage, if your gear is F111, meaning I consider a 260 ZP square safer than a 288 non-ZP square for the exact same student. i.e. I would prefer a skydiving instructor to put my spouse on a 0.7 wingloaded ZP square than a 0.6 wingloaded F111 square if gear choice was limited).

Based on actual injury trends (notice how all those dropzones with high student injury rate, are almost always are jumping F111), I really feel that there is a less chance of injury under 0.7 ZP than 0.6 F111, especially when the gear is of unknown age. Student gear is often hand-me-downs that are retired from other uses, donated by jumpers, or retired from high-wingload usage. Hand-me-down ZP's are almost always safer than hand-me-down F111 of the same size. Based on injury rates I even argue the safety multipler should even be 0.2 wingload points. Yes, maybe even 0.3 multiplier for big men (Meaning I suggest 250+ pound gear weight people might be on average same-injury-rate on a 0.9 wingload ZP versus 0.6 wingload F111 of the same jump number wear-and-tear into each). At SOME POINT, low turns and bad mis-flares become sufficiently more dangerous enough to eliminate the reduced-thump and imperfect-flare-forgiving safety factor of ZP over F111.

So, I'm being generous and suggesting adding only 0.1 wingload safety margin for F111 relative to ZP. Most instructors agree there's a relative safety multiplier between same-wingload ZP versus F111, but it's debatable how much multiplier there should be.

Most students do not need to know this info. But you are a special case (heavy-set guy, AND with an injury under previous F111 jumps, AND you had a good experience unde your only ZP jump), you NEED to know this information now. You CAN jump F111, but I think in you specific case, you may need to be aware of the safety multiplier you need to add for an F111. If it's a ZP 280 square, you're all set, that's probably perfect for you. If it's a F111 280 square, I suggest not jumping that one either, unless it was brand new and just purchased. Not enough of a wingload improvement over your old 265 F111 you broke your leg under. If I were an instructor, I'd be urgently looking for that very same same identical ZP 260 you reported had a happy soft landing on -- rather than risking an unproven uncertain-jump-number 300 sqft F111 (people HAVE broken legs under 0.5 and 0.6 wingload before -- of either ZP square and F111 square -- you should realize this by now) You can still break your leg again, even under ZP. But let's see if you can avoid having that happen again.

ZP = Zero Perosity?
The cannopy I'll be jumping will be ZP.
The one where I had the issue was suppose to be ZP but you couldn't tell with the way it bleed air.
As i would drop it on the packing mat it would just flatten out in a second or two.
Also I'm told this rigs liens are actually of correct length thus reduing the need to wrap up any lines before landing.

Jumps: 7

That's a start. Have fun.

Hook, dumb question though.
And this is hind sight which is always 20/20.
When I and another AFP student would put our student rigs down. My canopy would deflate almost instantly and their smaller one would hold air for much longer. Should have been a clue to me that something was not working right.

And no....the weather looks crappy today. And windy tomorrow and ok on Sunday. I think I'm just going to keep my eyes open and one week where it looks sunny just call in sick with jumpitus.

i bet your canopy was just fine.. that is, if you flare it properly..

So why did my instructor who weighs 50lbs less then me have to PLF it when he took it for a test drive.

The reason I'm asking is that well....no one teaches you what to look for on a canopy when it's on the ground.

i bet your canopy was just fine.. that is, if you flare it properly..

So why did my instructor who weighs 50lbs less then me have to PLF it when he took it for a test drive.

The reason I'm asking is that well....no one teaches you what to look for on a canopy when it's on the ground.

that should be up to your instructor to determine; or the rigger maybe..

u dont seem to have too much trust in your gear. and yes, it may will kill you anyway, so maybe stop skydiving or stop whining!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Bro i'm learning here....give the n00b some slack.

Now dumb one can a ZP rig loose it's ZP?
And how do you test it?

When I and another AFP student would put our student rigs down. My canopy would deflate almost instantly and their smaller one would hold air for much longer. Should have been a clue to me that something was not working right

It might be a clue, but it's not necessarily so. Take a look at some BASE videos on youtube and watch their canopies settle on the ground, or any other low porosity parachute for that matter.

Maybe because he's not used to jumping student canopies? His reflexes might have told him when to flare as if he was jumping his regular canopy.

I'm not saying the canopy you jumped wasn't worn out, it might have been. But at seven jumps, there's a lot of other reasons why you might get a hard landing. If you come back convinced that it was all in the old canopy and you jump a fresh one, you might not react properly when you land, expecting it to be a tip-toe landing but it turns out you're coming in hard. Just keep it in mind that it might have been you, don't get complacent and always prepare for the worst (PLF).

That said, have a great time and good luck on sunday :)

You have 7 jumps and 2300 posts. Spam much?

Here's your tip. Get off of DZ.com and go jump. Stop talking incessantly about what you're going to do and just do it. Stop posting and ask your instructors for advice.

+a gazillion
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Thank you so much guys!
I wish, and here is where the inner dork comes out, that there was a beginners book for n00bs.
Every thing from judging height to judging and examining your equipment.
Thanks again and hoping for sun this sunday!

ps
I'm just looking at my log book. Jump #5 was on a newer yet smaller canopy a 260 instead of a 265 and per my notes i not only had a softer landing but the flare caused me to flat line across the ground which was very cool and soft! Except where I skidded feet first into some bushes!