jamester28

Laws about skydiving away from dropzones.

Sec. 105.21 Parachute operations over or into a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons

I guess if the private farm dropzone has 1 or less people on the ground viewing the skydive, you would be ok, otherwise you fall under section 105.21

Filing a NOTAM in Class 'E' airspace is by far the easiest way to go.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

So are all balloon jumps, bandit jumps. Cause I got no clue where we will be in order to file a notam.

The NOTAM doesn't have to be a precise area. You should know within a couple miles or so for your ballon jump, right?

That's close enough.

It's intended to warn pilots in the area that there will be parachute operations going on.
NOTAM stands for NOtice To AirMen.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sec. 105.21 Parachute operations over or into a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons

I guess if the private farm dropzone has 1 or less people on the ground viewing the skydive, you would be ok, otherwise you fall under section 105.21

Filing a NOTAM in Class 'E' airspace is by far the easiest way to go.

AC105-2C would disagree with your interpretation:

E. The key to determine if an authorization is or is not necessary is the word "into." The following examples may clarify the intent of FAR Section 105.15 and help to determine when an authorization is necessary.

1. A jump will be at a town just east of a large lake. The jumper wishes to exit the aircraft over the lake and drift eastward to land in an open area. Authorization is not required.

2. At the same town, the jumper wishes to change the landing site to a school playground in the eastern part of town. The playground is several acres in size, completely fenced in, but surrounded by residential dwellings. Even though the landing target can be placed 500 to 600 feet from the fence, the jump is into a congested area. Authorization is required.

3. An exhibition jump is planned for a county fair. The fairgrounds are on the north edge of a town with clear, open land on three sides. The jumpers plan to exit their aircraft on one side of the fairground and land on the opposite side. This is a drift-over jump. Authorization is not required.

4. At the same fairgrounds, the target will be placed in the middle of a racetrack, enclosed by a wire mesh fence, and located near the center of the fairgrounds. The target is more than 500 feet from the fence. This would be a jump into an open air assembly of persons. Authorization is required.

5. Jumps made into large areas, even though near or within a populated area or near an open air assembly of persons, do not require written FAA authorization. This provision applies to open areas large enough to enable the parachutists to exit the aircraft over the area and remain within the area during descent and landing. Since at no time would a jumper be over a congested area, jumps of this nature would not impose a public hazard. However, parachutists should ensure that the landing area is completely clear of assembled persons other than the ground crew and other show performers.

Oddly enough, the framers of the federal regs seem to have taken a common sense approach... :)

have the proper rating for the type jump, use water gear, file the proper notice, use the proper type aircraft and get permission for the landing area

done a few demos on Isle of Palms and Boone Hall, one specific jump at the Windjammer - the cops tried to arrest us for trespassing, we had permission from the land owner but the cops claimed they had jurisdiction over (you're not going to believe this) the sky, the crowd was getting a little loud (hey Barney where's you're bullet?) so they decided it was smarter to leave us alone

just a little caution, the winds in that area can be real tricky, landing in the ocean or intercoastal would be bad
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Gotta love 'jumping' with the wife in the backyard! :$;)

She was on top, too.;)

Very nice! ;)

i'll second THAT!!!!!
great photo...
excellent skill set and confidence levels to fly that biplane into a tight area ( or at least a "semi tight" area)...OFF the DZ

jimmy
:)

What are the laws regarding jumps made away from designated USPA dropzones? I live in Mount Pleasant, SC and am interested in jumping over Isle of Palms. Would there be any legal ramifications? I know people who have sport aircraft (powered parachutes and fixed wing stuff) and I would just be doing a hop n pop from 4500.

I am your USPA Regional Director. Call or PM and I will help you make sure you are legal. There is a lot of good information in this thread and some really bad. It would be difficult to sort through it. What you want to do is not difficult.

Blue Skies,

Ed

So Mister RD... how about pointing out which is good and which is bad for everyone to see?

Your rudeness is noted.

Without going through all of the posts, #23 and #28 are off the mark and numbers 24, 32 and 37 seem to have it right, although they may not be complete in every circumstance.

The FAA is revising the Advisory Circular for FAA Part 105. It has not been revised in many years. USPA and PIA have been given an opportunity to review and comment. I was fortunate to be one of those to read both. If the comments are accepted by the FAA as presented, we should see a better more understandable AC-105.

Blue Skies,

Ed

I am speaking for myself only.

#23 and #28 are off the mark

Hey those are my posts >:(

I can't believe it is as easy as that to say my farm is a dropzone. Can I declare my suburban back yard as a temporary DZ?

Please edumacate me.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

#23 and #28 are off the mark

Hey those are my posts >:(

I can't believe it is as easy as that to say my farm is a dropzone. Can I declare my suburban back yard as a temporary DZ?

Please edumacate me.

Hi Mike,

See Speed2000's posts. You are quoting regs about authorizations and none are required for many off DZ jumps.

Your backyard seems to be described as a conjested area, so probably not. On the other hand if you have a farm, in appropriate airspace, you can notify ATC as appropriate (24 hours to 1 hour), meet other requirements, eg: door off waiver if needed, radio contact, etc. and jump. I believe there was a post in this thread about that. It is perfectly legal.

The requirement to notify ATC is regulatory. There is no regulation that requires one to file a NOTAM, but some people confuse the two. With that said, it would be foolish not to file a NOTAM (short for NOtice To AirMen) under such circumstances.

First time I ever heard them called "bandit jumps" was here.

I speak only for myself.

Blue Skies,

Ed

There is no regulation that requires one to file a NOTAM, but some people confuse the two. With that said, it would be foolish not to file a NOTAM (short for NOtice To AirMen) under such circumstances.

Ed,
Actually there is regulation required for filing a NOTAM.

It is required at operating airports in Class E airspace and above.

Also, regarding LSA and Ultralights:
A wavier can be obtained for parachute jumping.
It is pretty hard to get, but can be done. It operates in the same principal as a ferry permit.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I heard a rumor that USPA was looking into limiting our 3rd party insurance to be active only at USPA DZ? Is there any truth to that?

That would be shooting themselves in the foot. (I know, they do that alot already). I would be dropping my membership if that is the case.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Actually there is regulation required for filing a NOTAM.

It is required at operating airports in Class E airspace and above.

Also, regarding LSA and Ultralights:
A wavier can be obtained for parachute jumping.
It is pretty hard to get, but can be done. It operates in the same principal as a ferry permit.

BS,
MEL

Hi Mark,

I checked with USPA government relations before I spoke on the NOTAM. I see it is required under authorizations, but cannot find it otherwise. Can you help me out with the regulation number so that, if true, I can enlighten them?

Good to know about the ultralight waiver. I was always given the same answer by FSDO Columbia, "Two place ultralights are for instruction only and you must not make a parachute jump from one." LSA? that is out of my range of knowledge. I recently jumped a J3 in the presence of a FSDO inspector with no permision from anyone. I think they fall into the LSA category, but not sure. Funny thing, I could jump from it with the little fold down door folded down, but I could not remove it since there was no authorization for flight with door removed !!

I am speaking for myself only.

Blue Skies,

Ed

checked with USPA government relations before I spoke on the NOTAM. I see it is required under authorizations, but cannot find it otherwise. Can you help me out with the regulation number so that, if true, I can enlighten them?

I believe it falls under something like "Special use Airspace"...l believe 73.3 will take you there.
But the requirements for the NOTAM fall under the management of the operating airport.

I will spend some time digging it up later for you.

About the J-3. They can fall into four different catergories:
1. Certified
2. LSA
3.Experimental

As far as the door, Piper sold Cubs without doors cropdusters.
So next time, let them know it never had one to began with :)

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com