jump2live

INFO APPRECIATED

Hello all,

I am planning to make a trip (move) for several months to one of these dropzones in order to do my AFF course and "graduate program", plus as many other jumps as I can to on my budget. I'm hoping to get enough to where I could get a job as a camera flyer so that I could start building up my jump #, while making a little cash on the side..

I was wondering if any of you had any strong opinions about what my best choice would be. I'm guessing that cost of living in southern CA would be considerably more than in Arizona, but am not sure of that. Mainly if you have any advice, live, or have lived near by one of the places, or have done a similar thing, and could let me know about the facility, cost of living, weather,...etc. I would really appreciate hearing what you have to say...

The places I'm thinking are either:

1)Elsinore, CA
2)Perris Valley, CA
or
3)Eloy, Arizona

Keep in mind, I wouldn't mind at all living out of a tent or my car for the time being, whatever is cheapest and would allow me more money to spend on getting jumps... I do have a giant dog so living on the DZ probably isn't an option I would think.

Thanks to all for your time-

First read camera flying here.. http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#983

You've got it backward. :S You should have 200 jumps (a C license) before even starting to practice with a camera. More like 500 jumps before your going to have much chance of doing it for money. And you need your own camera equipment along with skydiving gear (two rigs to do a lot of jumping).

So, it's a long long time and lots of money (maybe $20,000, probably much more) before making money with a camera.

For the most part you need a real world job to pay for a skydiving habit.

I'll let others comment on the rest of your plans.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey thanks for the reply... I wasn't aware that it took that many jumps before someone could get hired on camera! Originally I was about to move to New Zealand and do there Skydiving School, but after reading posts and talking to people on here I decided it would be wiser to stay in the states to get the most out of my money. Their web-site made it sound like it was pretty do-able to get into the industry after finishing the school, but of course it would!

Is there much potential for someone to get a different job at a decent DZ to where you could work on getting the skill/jump #s for a camera job?

You do their course in NZ and you finish it and do it right, then you WILL get a job as a camera flier.

I am one of the negative nay sayers, but after ten years since i did the course and i have watched so many people come through dropzones from this course as camera fliers, tandem instructors, aff instructors, i have full changed my opinion. Also, hanging out with the owner of the course last week and her good friend Jyro from NZAerosports (designer of icarus canopies), I am blown away by the plans they have in store... Forget what you read in the forums from the FEW people who have done the course, speak to the new zealand qualifications associations and the dropzone owners that take these graduates on to see the real figures. My mate is on over 10,000 jumps from this course, most others are over 6000 jumps since the first course.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Read the sticky in the Photog and Video about being a camera flyer. It takes a hell of an investment in both time and money before you start earning income, let alone see a "return on investment".

It sounds like you are separating from the military or something similar. It sounds like you have a chunk of money saved up and want to invest it in a skydiving career.(If I have the wrong impression. please correct me).

You will go through that money in an insanely short time, and won't be able to earn enough to do much more than live in a tent and eat a lot of Ramen Noodles.

One possible route is to become a rigger. The course isn't anywhere nearly as expensive as becoming a qualified professional skydiver, and there's always people who need packjobs (main and reserve).
There's jobs out there, although not a whole lot, nor terribly lucrative ones. Some of it is seasonal.

Realistically, finding a "job" in the industry that pays for your skydiving is doing better than most. My rigging and flying pays for my jumps at my home DZ, so my jumping there is essentially "free". I have a "real" job to pay the bills

But it cost a good bit of money to get those "free" jumps, and I have to work hard for them.

But I'm very happy with how it has worked out overall.:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo