Quagmirian

Hop n pop malfunction video

ianyapxw

So after all this discussion what caused the malfunction? Is it a packing error? What can we learn from this?

Don't rig your gear incorrectly.
I looked a bit closer on the video and it seems he is using the white loop on the right side but not on the left side.

The angle of the brakeline tells me on the left side he used the splice and the toggle trough it.
On the right side the brakeline is pointing up, meaning it can rotate. That seems to me as he used the white loop to hold the brake in place.
Also you can see something white over the toggle, looks like the white loop.

My thinking is that he messed up when parking the brakes and only used the white loop on the right side, that meant the left side released.
It would not have been a problem if he had the lines trough the guidrings.

It looks like both brakelines go trough the slider, and because the left one got hung up on one of the cascades the slider can't come down.

ianyapxw:
In short. Unless you try really hard it won't happen to you.

chuckakers

Without respect to the title of your post, that video shows very nicely how pulling one's knees/legs to the rear and arching before and during a chop promotes stability, or maybe more accurately how failing to promotes instability. It also demonstrates how trying to get stable before deploying a reserve costs valuable altitude.

I've been preaching "feet-on-the-butt-ARCH" while cutting away for years. All these noobs disconnecting their RSL's because they "need time to get stable" before pulling their reserves probably just need some more training on how to do a proper cutaway. We sure have had a lot of people who bounced trying to get stable. [:/]

Hellis

***So after all this discussion what caused the malfunction? Is it a packing error? What can we learn from this?

I looked a bit closer on the video and it seems he is using the white loop on the right side but not on the left side.

The angle of the brakeline tells me on the left side he used the splice and the toggle trough it.
On the right side the brakeline is pointing up, meaning it can rotate. That seems to me as he used the white loop to hold the brake in place.

My thinking is that he messed up when parking the brakes and only used the white loop on the right side, that meant the left side released.

It looks like both brakelines go trough the slider, and because the left one got hung up on one of the cascades the slider can't come down.

ianyapxw:

Question - if the left side released, why is all the line down by the toggle?

I think there is something else going on there...from the body vertical orientation he's well into the deployment...yet, look at the position of the connector links in relation to each other.

One side of the canopy is loaded WAY more than the other.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******So after all this discussion what caused the malfunction? Is it a packing error? What can we learn from this?

ianyapxw:

Question - if the left side released, why is all the line down by the toggle?

I think there is something else going on there...from the body vertical orientation he's well into the deployment...yet, look at the position of the connector links in relation to each other.

One side of the canopy is loaded WAY more than the other.

One frame later and all the line is up by the cascades :)The picture was just to show that he set the brakes incorrectly when not using the guidrings.