sparkie

no flair whatsoever!

Common incorrectly spelled skydiving terms:

No "flair".
Recovery "arch".
"Bridal" length.
"Cord" of the canopy (as opposed the span)
"Parashoot". (That's more a whuffo mistake though.)
"Cypress" AAD.

Any others to add to the list?

Decent knowledge of English has no direct bearing on ability to skydive, but since reading tends to be part of the learning process (not just oral transmission of knowledge around the fire pit), one would hope people pick up the proper terminology.

You forgot breaks :)
__

My mighty steed

so, to all you illiterates out there:

A person can have flair
But there is NO SUCH THING as flairing your canopy, or my canopy doesn't flair well.

IT'S FLARE!

>>Def. (English) final nose-up pitch of landing aircraft in order to reduce the rate of descent to approximately zero at touchdown
How hard can it be?

The spelling Nazi's are alive and well. You must have a hell of a time surfing the internet if you are this concerned about a misspelled word. If someone wrote "I flaired my canopy", I would know what they are talking about and wouldn't be such a cheese dick to point out a simple mistake.

Lighten up Francis.

my name isn't francis, Timmeeeyyyy (south park voice) ;) Why don''t you look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.

next time ill put a gazillion :P after my post.

No fun if one has to explain the sarcasm of a post bah ;)

A person can have flair
But there is NO SUCH THING as flairing your canopy, or my canopy doesn't flair well.

IT'S FLARE!

>>Def. (English) final nose-up pitch of landing aircraft in order to reduce the rate of descent to approximately zero at touchdown
How hard can it be?

The spelling Nazi's are alive and well. You must have a hell of a time surfing the internet if you are this concerned about a misspelled word. If someone wrote "I flaired my canopy", I would know what they are talking about and wouldn't be such a cheese dick to point out a simple mistake.

Lighten up Francis.

Bravo well said! :)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

How hard can it be?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Chances are you also understand it.
Better you than me

fukker - you owe me a nju keybord :P

You mean a gnu keyboard.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It's all well and good to call the guy names and give him a hard time because he's on to spelling. But the unspoken point here is that the education in this country is down the tubes when someone can't tell the difference between "then" and "than"; between "your' and "you're"; writing "should have" as "should of". It's all in good fun to defend illiteracy, I'm sure. And yes, we know what one means even when they don't have enough education to express them selves in their own written language. And some of us value the written word and some don't and likely those of us who do will never convert those who don't. But from a completely subjective perspective, such simple errors just point out the uninterested, un-curious, illiterates among us. And what's worse is that this sort of insidious illiteracy is finding its way into our newspapers (that the detractors here don't and probably can't read) and passing as the English language in written form.

I wonder how many people who don't agree with the OP are actually innocent of these sort of errors that are so common these days, and could defend themselves in print without committing any of them. It is very likely that the defenders of such illiterate habits have never really gotten any pleasure from reading. And as a reader I can only add that I see it as your loss. But then, we are all free to choose our losses democratically and without suffering any fool who dares point it out to us. Just as we are free to display our ignorance, illiteracy and lack of education without being shown just how deep and rife the deterioration of the language is becoming.

And not that anyone cares, but the deterioration of a native language is one of the proven avenues to the deterioration of the culture that speaks it. I would wager that at least some of the OP's detractors also just happen to be in favor of an English only policy in the U.S., taking the position that if you can't speak the language get out of the country. As I see it, the language is already in jeopardy and mostly by the natives who can't write it.

"Cord" of the canopy (as opposed the span)

No, wings have 'cord' as well as span but spelled chord. So its chord instead of cord. Not cord as opposed to span.;)

Just to be a complete dick.B|

Yes, Dick, chord is orthogonal to span.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's all well and good to call the guy names and give him a hard time because he's on to spelling. But the unspoken point here is that the education in this country is down the tubes when someone can't tell the difference between "then" and "than"; between "your' and "you're"; writing "should have" as "should of". It's all in good fun to defend illiteracy, I'm sure. And yes, we know what one means even when they don't have enough education to express them selves in their own written language. And some of us value the written word and some don't and likely those of us who do will never convert those who don't. But from a completely subjective perspective, such simple errors just point out the uninterested, un-curious, illiterates among us. And what's worse is that this sort of insidious illiteracy is finding its way into our newspapers (that the detractors here don't and probably can't read) and passing as the English language in written form.

I wonder how many people who don't agree with the OP are actually innocent of these sort of errors that are so common these days, and could defend themselves in print without committing any of them. It is very likely that the defenders of such illiterate habits have never really gotten any pleasure from reading. And as a reader I can only add that I see it as your loss. But then, we are all free to choose our losses democratically and without suffering any fool who dares point it out to us. Just as we are free to display our ignorance, illiteracy and lack of education without being shown just how deep and rife the deterioration of the language is becoming.

And not that anyone cares, but the deterioration of a native language is one of the proven avenues to the deterioration of the culture that speaks it. I would wager that at least some of the OP's detractors also just happen to be in favor of an English only policy in the U.S., taking the position that if you can't speak the language get out of the country. As I see it, the language is already in jeopardy and mostly by the natives who can't write it.

+1

Al'so there are tho'se who put an apo'strophe in front of every "'s" ju'st to let u's know one i's coming.

This used to be a skydiving forum.

If only there was some sort of person or persons who were tasked with maintaining some sort of semblance of order, draconian as it sometimes may be.

:ph34r:
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Saber
Specter

Stilleto and Stilletto

saphire, triathalon, and various incarnations of "silhouette"

I've gotten quite good at typing in searches :)

And that's actually a good skill when it comes to ebay. A number of people can't even spell what it is they're selling - even when it's written on the item itself - so they post it in misspelled form and get few to no bids. So if you just type in variations of misspellings you could find something no one else has bid on.

How hard can it be?

Harder than Dutch?

It's not that hard to learn Dutch spelling. They have some basic rules that you need to know, but once you know the rules they're followed much more uniformly than the rules in English. Pronunciation is somewhat harder.

I have to admit: your, you're, their, there and they're kind of bother me sometimes but other than it's all good. I definitely don't see the use of pointing out someones mistake in a condescending way. In fact being a dick kind of tells people all about your complete lack of class and character.

A person can have flair
But there is NO SUCH THING as flairing your canopy,

Except by using the bedazzler, aplique, and print fabrics.

or my canopy doesn't flair well.

Classic bounce-and-blend colors don't flair well. Precision print fabrics did. I really liked my Bat Wing with the purplish abstract art pattern which may have been called "Dali." The Galaxy pattern had great flair too.

I also have a pilot chute made out of reflective silver ZP. That stuff has great flair and is real unique.

I have to admit: your, you're, their, there and they're kind of bother me sometimes but other than it's all good. I definitely don't see the use of pointing out someones mistake in a condescending way. In fact being a dick kind of tells people all about your complete lack of class and character.

I guess my C++ compiler lacks class and character then.

(Or to put it another way, communication skills matter when one is attempting to communicate, and there's a big difference between a typo and a malapropism).