TattooTom

Ash Dive help

Hi Skydivers..This Sunday the 13th is my daughter Shayla's Birthday....Shayla passed away last year from cancer. I miss her a great deal...one of the things she had hoped to do before she died was skydive....but sadly that did not happen for her.

So it is my intentions to take her remains and release them on the sunset load at Skydive the Point (my home DZ) this Sunday evening. I have heard many opinions on the best way to "RELEASE" the ashes, as I do hope to get a photo of my daughter and I skydiving together.

I am wondering what container/bag/velcro case...etc...might work best...

If anyone has any experience or could provide any information that would be helpful I of course would be very Grateful.

I remain Sincerely,
Tattoo Tom

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter. Yours is a good idea for remembering her.

Many riggers, especially at larger DZs, have experience in building containers for ash dives. If you're doing it this weekend, that may be a problem when it comes to fabricating something, but it's possible your rigger can suggest a solution.

Kevin K.

Are you looking to release in freefall or under canopy? How much material are you looking to release? On the ash dives I've been part of and helped set up we choose to only use partial amount of the total ash volume. This allowed the rest of the ashes to be retained to be saved or spread at other locations also. If you are planning on a freefall release in order for it to be clearly visible and longer lasting I have seen people add other material to make it have more volume like Talc or other powders.

Bag design has been everything from a arm mounted sleeve that went from the elbow to the wrist that peeled open and allowed for a large amount to be packed in to a large pouch that had a webbing handle on it that needed allowed either the jumper or another person to open it. I saw a newer design that was a large bag that was about a foot square with webbing handles on it that you could store huge amounts of ash in and you just held the bag out in front and someone else reached over and backed away by a foot or so and it opened.

Any rigger should be able to make something but it might take a day or two so get in contact with one now to make sure its ready.

A hint is to keep the bag at arms length in freefall so you don't take the ash into your face.

I'm sorry for your loss. [:/]

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My sister and I released my father's ashes in freefall. The container was made by Patti Falo in CA. Basically it was a piece of cordura folded in half and sealed on three sides by heavy velcro. It had handles on the sides that looped up so that it carried like a briefcase. My sister did a tandem and held the case until at which time I docked and took one of the handles from her. I then backed out as she went to full arms reach with her handle and it pulled the case apart releasing the ashes.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

duct tape and a freezer grade zip-lok bag.

Make a duct tape 'zipper' - two strips of duct tape along each side of the top of the bag where the 'zip' part of the bag is, leave a 2" tab of duct tape off one end.

Put another duct tape strip below that on both sides of the bag but leave a small 1/4" gap of just plastic bag. do not overlap the duct tape there.

Duct tape the bag to your arm for the release. usually left arm if you are right-handed.

When you grab the duct tape at the top of the bag using the tab you made, you can simply tear the bag open with the top duct tape zipper and it will come apart really easy in freefall and dump the contents.

sorry do not have a picture of one to show you, but they take 10 minutes to make, if that

duct tape and a freezer grade zip-lok bag.

Make a duct tape 'zipper' - two strips of duct tape along each side of the top of the bag where the 'zip' part of the bag is, leave a 2" tab of duct tape off one end.

Put another duct tape strip below that on both sides of the bag but leave a small 1/4" gap of just plastic bag. do not overlap the duct tape there.

Duct tape the bag to your arm for the release. usually left arm if you are right-handed.

When you grab the duct tape at the top of the bag using the tab you made, you can simply tear the bag open with the top duct tape zipper and it will come apart really easy in freefall and dump the contents.

sorry do not have a picture of one to show you, but they take 10 minutes to make, if that

I have to do the same for my Brother next week.

I like this idea very much. I am just having a problem envisioning you explanation. I know you said you don't currently have a picture of one. However, creating one would possibly do me and others who WILL need to do this in the future a huge favor.

I will experiment with it in case you don't have the time to create a picture.

Many thanks for the idea either way!!

I did an ashes dive about a year ago and the bag I used (borrowed) worked excellent. It looks like a small freefly tube with a ring and handle at one end. It was about 5 ft long and about 6 in. around. I folded the ring over a couple times to close one end then poured the ashes in and folded it to the top to make a tight package. Then I put a couple rubber bands around it with pull-up cords tied to them. In freefall you pull off the rubber bands and hold onto the handle. It opens just like a freefly tube and all the ashes go out the top. It looked spectacular from the ground and since everything goes out the top it keeps you from getting a faceful of ashes. Best ahses bag I've ever seen or used!

I made a quick one with a quart size bag and blue painters tape instead of duct tape. sometimes you need a gallon size bag.

Make a duct tape loop for your fingers/hand. You can either make a loop for your forearm, or just tape it around your jumpsuit.

Duct tape the bag up as much as needed - you can completely cover the bag in duct tape if you want.

Don't forget to add the ashes first. This works really well in freefall, as you can extend your arm to keep the ashes out of your face. A couple shakes and it is all gone.

When you tear the top tab, it will tear the plastic bag easily.

The bag that George Galloway built for Beezy Shaw's ash dive was excellent. I am pretty sure we used the same bag for Lee Gerard's ash dive as well. You might want to contact Mike Gruwell at Shooting Star Rigging at Skydive The Farm in Georgia and ask him about it. That or just call George at Precision Aerodynamics. I don't have either of their numbers on me,

Chuck