GuyMan20

skydivingmovies.com

It works! We're online! Well... I am anyway. And some images won't load. But close enough! I'm currently backing up all the site files, all the videos, and the database.

We'll be back...

Edit: I think the backup is going to take all night and this thing is literally louder than my air conditioner. I can stand right next to the AC, across the room from the server, and I still hear the server right over it.

Dave

In case anyone was curious, here's what SkydivingMovies.com looks like right now.

It runs! Loud as hell. I think I could use the fan in it to cool my apartment. It runs a unix operating system with no graphical interface, so I needed a lesson in how to log into it. Actually someone talked me through hacking into it since the supplied password didn't seem to work. And it isn't quite on the network yet. That will be tomorrow's project. Course I won't be sharing the link or my cable company would shut me off in about 10 minutes.

I've had a few offers and ideas as for what to do with the site. It looks like the future is bright for SkydivingMovies.com. Unfortunately nobody has offered me $1 million for it yet, but maybe these enticing pics will change someone's mind.

Dave

SkydivingMovies.com
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Works fine for me!

Seriously though, I won't be making it publicly accessible from here. The site needs some serious professional hosting. My cable internet couldn't even come close to handling it. Last time I switched hosts, I had to upload all the files. It took about a week. And the upload slowed waaaay down in the middle. I called the cable company to find out what was wrong. Turned out they thought I was running a server and throttled back my connection. I explained that the upload was a one time thing and was almost done and they turned my speed back up.

The site has grown a LOT since then.

Dave

Would it be possible to add a feature to videos that are set as "private" that would allow the person that uploaded the video to assign a 4 digit "pin" to it so that only people that have that pin can view the clip?

There is currently the ability to mark videos as Private where only you can view them. I'll look into allowing access exclusively to friends, or password protecting the private videos. Definitely a feature that will be added in the near future.

Update: Added!

Instead of a PIN, you'll have to use the exact link to the video. A much simpler solution than a uniquely generated pin for each private video, but I don't really expect people to be uploading stuff to a public site that needs to remain 100% private. Videos marked "Private" won't show up in the general index of the site and you will have to send someone the exact url of the video for them to access it.

Example of a private video: http://skytu.be/play.php?vid=397

Hey everybody,

I understand everyone is getting going on SkyTu.be and if that's cool if we all want to go to it. I posted the message below on another thread in this forum just before I foudn this one...............

I've actually been on this mission for a couple months now and JUST stumbled upon this page.

I have been trying to get in contact with Craig Poxon (owns the domain) for a while but never a response. I am wanting to take this project over and have everything needed to bring it back. Bandwidth, space and even my entire layout. I'm sure like me everyone is fond of the old look but I assure you, the new one is sharp and easy.
Not to mention each user has their own mini profile with the ability to upload an avatar and even be subcribed to sort of like what you see on youtube.

I've thought about numerous different domain names that would work but most of the ones I would prefer are taken. Which is funny because they're not even being used.

If anyone has input for me on either how to get skydivingmovies.com the domain name OR ideas for a new site name, spill it here or shoot me a message.
Again, I'm ready to go on this. Just wanted the old name to use.

I also do not have plans of charging for site use.

Thanks in advance,
-Corey B-51113
[email protected]

blue skyz
cbkyro
http://www.FuelYourEdge.com

Big project? I could've had it done weeks ago. I offered free development and hosting for the entire project, for the Skydiving community.

I don't make any money off of http://SkyTu.be, it's not blasted with retarded ads (its got a couple of links to my other forums or friends' blogs), and it's already a functioning new version of exactly what several people are scrambling to create.

It's a shame that it seems like skydivingmovies.com is being circled by the sharks. I hope it doesn't get killed by the obvious greed.

It's a shame that it seems like skydivingmovies.com is being circled by the sharks. I hope it doesn't get killed by the obvious greed.

???

The site is not being sold or anything like that. We found a potential host that would create an entirely new site. I'm being a bit picky when it comes to the functionality from the old site that I'd like to see carried forward. The plan is to get a new and improved SkydivingMovies.com going as opposed to giving away the contents of the site.

Dave

Oh ok, it seemed with the lack of communication (I've emailed you several times and never heard back) I got the feeling you were holding out for the highest bidder. Glad to hear you'll be bringing it back in full swing without a ton of advertising.

So, to be clear.. you DO still have ownership/control of the domain? It appeared it had expired and Craig had recently snatched it up. But, obviously he is a friend of yours? Or, the guy working on the site with you?

Any timeline on when the new site will be launching? I receive a lot of mail at SkyTube regarding the topic, I think everyone would appreciate a little heads up. Thanks!

That's great news Dave!

No offense to anybody intended, but one of the great things about SkydivingMovies was the quality of a lot of the videos. If all anybody wants is YouTube quality Flash crap, why not just post to YouTube? It's free and nobody has to maintain it. OTOH a site that lets people upload and download high-quality videos would be, at least to me, worth a subscription. Just MHO.

Well the version of the site I have already made is the flash type video like someone had suggested because it would help with buffering. But I can for one, control the quality being shown PLUS I have added the feature to download the original video file with a simple click for people who prefer that or just want to add it to their library.

Like I had mentioned, I've had everything ready for quite a while and as the SkyTu.be owner said above, the domain name was almost out of redemption but he renewed it again.

So however you guys want to work it out but I did already confirm it with my provider. I can attach this site to my current account and host it for Free with Unlimited space & bandwidth. Not to mention everyone with an account has their own profile photo, and etc, if they want and subscribers. But it's not overly busy like youtube or other sites.

I would love to take this over and get it up right away. I've been ready for months but if Craig doesn't want to give up the domain then I can at least assist. I took into thought a long time ago about everyone wanting a similiar interactive site as the old one but with improvements. Well it's ready. Even down to the little beer mug replacing the word "first" -beer-

I notice Skytu.be has download of the flv file and some other great features too. If you're reading this, you should switch it to the original file. I think more people would prefer that.

Anyway, I'm still around.
blue skyz
cbkyro

I don't know about the technical aspects, but it is nice to have the option these days of seeing (or downloading) either:

a) the full quality video in the format the uploader used
or
b) a smaller FLV file that is automatically generated

That would combine the best of both worlds.

Do you mean two download options, both the original AND flv? Or just one or the other. I currently have it to where it downloads the author's file in the same he uploaded. Skytu.be has the flv. If you want both I'm sure we can do that.
blue skyz
cbkyro

I thought skydivingmovies.com pretty much sucked. Nearly all the videos I wanted to watch wouldn't play for one reason or another, yes all my players were updated. I vote for both versions, but I have dial-up so I can't watch videos anyway right now , I used to have cable BTW :(.

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.