Pilot150

Skydiving mojo

I recently lost 2 friends through a jumping incident and I struggling to regain my skydiving mojo. I would be grateful if only the people who have been in the same situation respond and not those who think they know what they would do, all be it with good intention.

I attended one of the funerals last week and it is not the thought of the actual jumping that bothers me, but the thought of my family having to suffer what their family went through. In the past I have as are alot of others an advocate of driving to work is as dangerous as skydiving, maybe, maybe not, but I am feeling that if took the jumping away, it gives me more odds of being around for my family.

I personally have never had a situation jumping, where my life has been threatened and the incident I refer to was a freak accident, with 2, 1 very
experienced skydivers.

Skydiving does have a generally good safety record and in any sport accidents happen, so it's a battle of concscience now, my 2 friends would still want me to jump as it was their passion as is mine, but do I forfeit my passion for family security? In the end only I can decide on that, but your personal experiences may help me make an ultimate decision. Thanks

Mojo,

Most of us who have spent any number of years in this sport have experienced the grief you are experiencing now. Loosing someone close to us in a jump related incident leaves all kinds of chaotic emotions.

The first few weeks are a real bitch and say whatever they may about grief being a normal human emotion, I personally hate it. Its a very depressing time and there's always that feeling that you really won't get over it. Grief really does suck.

Every jump we make has an element of danger, and this danger makes many of us think about what would happen to family members if we had an accident.

My own Mother says she worries about me and dreads the though of that phone call, but I tell he to remember that I am doing what I loved to do, and if this sport takes me, please understand the years of enjoyment and the family of people I've met was well worth any risks.

Blue Skies
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I've taken my feelings of grief and loss over the years and tried to channel them into something productive, into my efforts to educate and prevent future accidents. This is the drive behind what I do as an instructor, former ASO, and general dropzone busy-body.

Still there's a lot of baggage in this sport. I would hate to leave my family before my time because of it. I know how you feel.