BIGUN

I miss Quincy

You know, its about this time of year that I get to missing Quincy. It wasn't just about the awesome L/O's who worked with everyone from all skillsets... But, it was also about seeing everyone once a year at the family reunion, not only from the US, but from overseas also. Now, I go to different quadrants of the US and have seen people, but not everyone at the same time.

I miss the camaraderie, the staying in touch here on dz.com with everyone thru the year after Quincy and the increased enthusiasm each year for about a three months before with the count downs. I miss spending all my money on dealer row that carried me from one year to the next.

But most of all I miss the sunset, no suit, no stress, anvil dives followed with too much alcohol and war stories with the early morning first loads.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Anybody remember Don buzzing the big top in the MIG at 600mph one night? Golf carts and cornfields anyone?

Jon

i remember someone having trouble posting a video and wanting some help.

people on a travel trailer at a dropzone with a jet flying over VERY low. I posted it and I think it was 2 days later when I un-posted because the pilot was worried about getting into trouble.

It wasn't at night though. Maybe late evening so probably 2 different events??

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Quincy, Rantoul, Richmond, all the memories are just that memories now.:( The newbies can't even fathom what these were like. I wish Don would pull of a WFFC every 4 years. take the time to line up a mind blowing lineup of aircraft and competitions added. There is three facilities listed above open. I would love somewhere i could jump aircraft out of the norm.

There was magic there No way to describe the feelings. But you could see it in the sunsets.

Even after the storms... they were a part of it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sadly, I never got a chance to go to the convention, either Rantoul or Quincy. And yeah, every year I think "Jeebers, can we get a real boogie?"

I went to Richmond 4 or 5 years after it "came back." Got to hear the war stories about the Holiday inn party from the old timers, etc.. While it surely wasn't the WFFC, Richmond, for me, was an accessible boogie fairly near to my home that featured several days of great skydiving with all kinds of cool skydivers and a bunch of "planes we don't get elsewhere on a regular basis."

(thinking: King Air 200, Mullins King Air, Casas, DC-3, Beech 18, Bell 222)

I mean, your local DZ can have a "boogie," and bring in a CASA (or in the case of a Cessna DZ, an Otter), but its not the same as going someplace where skydiving does not occur on a regular basis, for the express purpose of just jumping your ass off for several days.

Seriously, I'm thinking back and I'm like "Yeah, canopy survival skills when you're surrounded by people who just got out of another Casa and a Twin Otter?" man, talk about head on a swivel and flyin' like you mean it. :)
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Seriously, I'm thinking back and I'm like "Yeah, canopy survival skills when you're surrounded by people who just got out of another Casa and a Twin Otter?" man, talk about head on a swivel and flyin' like you mean it. :)

Now make it full of jumpers who normally jump out of 182s. Track like your life depends on it because it does. Head on a swivel under canopy and if your tent is anywhere near a landing area, its not safe either!:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."