FutureJumper

How hard is it for instructor to fling student off?

As a freshly rated AFFI, I know you dream of dropping a knee on reserve side and firing off a Level 1. Don't do it man, don't do it.:D:D:D:D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Actually, you've opened up an issue which it is high time that we discussed. I'm talking about magnets! Yes, magnets. The manufacturers are starting to put those things all over our rigs, in riser covers and slider keepers. And every school kid knows that magnets can do two things, depending upon the alignment of their poles: attract, or repel. Now, when they're used on rigs, the two halves are oriented so that the magnets attract each other to hold things together; north pole to south pole. And these are rare-earth magnets which are especially powerful.

But guess what? No one ever considered what would happen to two different jumpers in freefall if their magnets happened to get in the wrong orientation to each other, to repel; north to north, or south to south. That's right. Imagine one jumper's north poles aligning just right with another jumper's north poles. What do you get? Jumpers being flung apart by an invisible force!

By gosh, I think you're onto something here. This could be a problem that will continue to grow, as magnetic rigs become more popular.

On the other hand, if we use them wisely, it could help in closing those grips on dives where you are almost there, but can't quite seem to close the gap. "Magnets, engage!" (Said in your best Star Trek captain's voice.) The base could wear magnets with north poles oriented outward, while the divers could wear magnets with south poles oriented forward. That way there would be a magnetic attraction that would naturally pull all the jumpers together to complete a formation! Just don't let some fool cameraman dive through the center with the wrong magnet, and blow the whole thing apart.

I think this idea has promise... I'm filing a patent now, before Bill Booth snatches it up.

I hope the video guy is using a flash based video camera, those tape cameras might not like all the magnets around.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I hope the video guy is using a flash based video camera, those tape cameras might not like all the magnets around.

Well if he goes diving through the center of the formation, he deserves to have his tape erased!

I wonder if all that magnet field will affect the aircraft during flight, I mean, that compass is going to be confusing! 'No matter which way I turn, I'm still going North (or south, depending on which way the magnets are facing)!!'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Did a training jump with an instructor and am sure that something was done to fling me away and mess up my dive. Can this be done quite easily with an instructor who has thousands of jumps and make it look like student has faulted?

In all seriousness,, no it was probably not the instructor. Any video? And good luck with all your future jumps, and don't worry about assholes that you come across! The world is full of em'!B| Just keep jumping!B|B|

. I'm filing a patent now, before Bill Booth snatches it up.

too late

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm filing a patent now, before Bill Booth snatches it up.

too late

No, not for the riser covers. I'm talking about my super-dooper dynamic-assist magnetic-field skydiver proximity enhancement system.

In the same way that the magnets will draw the jumpers together to complete a formation, just think what it will do when you turn 180-degrees to track. Those magnets will now be repelling you away from all the other jumpers, giving you a turbo-boost in speed, and maximize separation for safe canopy deployment. I'm tellin' ya', this is gonna be BIG.

can this be done, yes and I have done it. Is it easy, well it was not easy for me, I had to work really hard to fling this 110# lady, and was really giving it my all.

she just really upset me when she brought her knees to her chest for no reason and rolled our dive onto its back. I even got mad when I reached across her body to roll her back over and she grabbed my arm with both her hands and began to crawl up me like a scared cat, how dare her.

So yes, at that point with a lot of effort, I flung her off of me and I guess I honestly did not care if I messed up her jump or not, how inconciderate of me.

I did however redock, reach over, slap her hands away before she could grab me again, roll her over and deploy her parachute for her. I sure hope she feels that saving her life made up for flinging her around and therefore finds no reason to go to the internet and complain about the said flinging.:S[:/]>:(

I'm filing a patent now, before Bill Booth snatches it up.

too late

No, not for the riser covers. I'm talking about my super-dooper dynamic-assist magnetic-field skydiver proximity enhancement system.

In the same way that the magnets will draw the jumpers together to complete a formation, just think what it will do when you turn 180-degrees to track. Those magnets will now be repelling you away from all the other jumpers, giving you a turbo-boost in speed, and maximize separation for safe canopy deployment. I'm tellin' ya', this is gonna be BIG.

And I'm tellin' ya - he's already filed the patent by now - it's Bill Booth

{{cripes John - I'm flattering you with your own joke, what's your deal today?}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It can be all in the perspective.
I can remember one jumper at Toogoolawah who asked his instructor why he keep flying around him in circles.
He refused to believe the he was in fact slowly spining
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I can remember one jumper at Toogoolawah who asked his instructor why he keep flying around him in circles.

Gold!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

My instructor did that too! :D

I was like, i was fine and that all of the sudden i started to spin. He just smiled and said, that's because i let go of you dude. :)I'm sure it was his fault :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
facebook.com/trig78

that's a good serious answer to a REALLY funny comment

Well, how was I to know he wasn't being serious? There were no icons to give it away :P

Common sense?

And it is "emoticons", cheez. :S:S

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

To do that right, you'll need to make the magnets programmable, to keep them in proper orientation on each person relative to what their position should be in every given formation. Let me know when you're ready to work on that part and I'll help you with the analysis and programming ... ;):P

As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

In my 35 years around skydiving one thing that has remained constant is beginners who swear they were doing it right, when they weren't. Video has helped convince them, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

I'm 99% sure that there is a benign, straightforward explanation for what happened, and your instructor can give it to you and us.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I'm sure some instructors have been flung off by students.

However, due to the rigorous training instructors go through, I'm almost positive that they got up off the floor, jumped back in bed, got a better grip and then rode out the entire 8 seconds.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm sure some instructors have been flung off by students.

However, due to the rigorous training instructors go through, I'm almost positive that they got up off the floor, jumped back in bed, got a better grip and then rode out the entire 8 seconds.

well, the student shouldn't get so pissy when you ask her about her sister, then, should she?

Every time I see this thread I remember the former dz.com poster crapflinger2000...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, how was I to know he wasn't being serious? There were no icons to give it away :P

Common sense?

Problem is, common sense isn't very common.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Common sense?

Problem is, common sense isn't very common.

Think of how dumb the average person really is...

Half of people are dumber than that...:S

Think of how dumb the average person really is...

Half of people are dumber than that...:S

You are describing the median, not the average. :)

I could probably argue either way really.