jump2live

Pro's and Con's Ohio vs. California DZ's

Hey all,

I have narrowed down the choice of which DZ I want to go camp at do my AFF and A license (as well as many more jumps) for a couple of months. My decision is between these two mainly because of their allowance of FREE tent camping, and also of dogs being allowed.

I was curious if anyone has had good/or bad experiences at either of these two places:

1) Parachute Center, Lodi California

2) Start Skydiving, Middletown Ohio

I really appreciate any of you insight if you have any information on either of these two places (or both).

Thanks!

Hi,

I came up with those two through a different post I put on here asking about dog-friendly DZ's in the U.S. with free camping as well.

Out of the people who responded these two have contacted me back saying that it would be ok for me to come and stay there with my dog while I jumped.

Do you know of any good DZ of which I could contact that you know allows free camping and dogs?

Thanks for you time!

Hi,

Seems that simple huh! The only problem is that I keep hearing very mixed reviews about this place in Lodi.

It by far would be the most convenient being that I'm living in CA at the moment, but one minute I hear that Lodi is great, the next that they are super sketchy with common procedures of DZs and being HIGHLY recommended to go anywhere else in the world!

Hey, Yeah I live in CA and that would mean more jumps. Although out of all the DZ here that allow free camping for as long as you'd like, Lodi is the only one that allows dogs.

The reason I'm not there already is because I'm getting very mixed reviews about the place and would hate to start an AFF course at a sketchy place. I'm willing to sacrafice a few jumps to get better quality of training.

I did AFF in Lodi and it is my home dropzone.. I never felt like I was ever put in an unsafe position doing training there. I love that place. Just like at any dropzone you go to, you have to know how your gear works, what planes you are jumping, jump ship characteristics, landing patterns, etc. There are many people there that are very safety conscious...seek them out and learn from them. Pick their brains, ask them questions. Jump with safe people. Lodi was the right choice for me, but that is not to say that it is the necessarily the right choice for every student.

On another note, I would call and ask Bill if you can bring your dog, don't just blindly bring him... There are dogs running around there, several are his and the others are employees dogs, but they are all very well behaved. But I know of dogs who have gotten 'fired' from the DZ. So don't just show up with your dog, i would ask permission first.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I also did my AFF out in Lodi back in February and not once did I ever feel unsafe during my training. Everyone that I have met there so far has been easy to talk to and laid back. Doing your AFF there would be a good choice in my opinion. But then again everyone would say that about their home DZ;)

Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

The only problem is that I keep hearing very mixed reviews about this place in Lodi.

That's going to be true of just about any DZ. If you gave 100 skydivers a shiney new corvette; there would be mixed reviews. Even one of the busiest/best DZ's on the planet (Eloy) has a couple of "thumbs down" reviews. So, yes, it's that simple.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You live in CA, which has the highest density of drop zones on the planet. I think. Anyhow, if you think can't find some DZ in CA to fit all your needs, the fault is probably with your research. Put another way, Ohio's fine if you're already there; but traveling from CA to Ohio to find a drop zone is like traveling from Nevada to New Jersey to find a slot machine: you'll find one, but why bother?

The only problem is that I keep hearing very mixed reviews about this place in Lodi.

That's going to be true of just about any DZ. If you gave 100 skydivers a shiney new corvette; there would be mixed reviews. Even one of the busiest/best DZ's on the planet (Eloy) has a couple of "thumbs down" reviews. So, yes, it's that simple.

Yes, true enough, but very few DZ's have had their entire fleet of aircraft grounded by the FAA for 4 months.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hey,

I read about that somewhere online when I was looking at going there.

I saw a video on youtube about the FAA investigating Lodi. Something like 7 deaths there since 1999. I'm not sure but at first that seemed pretty sketchy to me. But then I read that they are also one of the most popular DZ's with the most jumps per year in the U.S. so 7 accidents doesn't really seem that high.

Would you recommend someone going there to learn how to skydive, or is it more a DZ for experienced jumpers?

You were given the opportunity to visit with Bill, (et.,al.) to address your concerns. Did you accept the invitation since this time?

Look, Brother. We all know where you jump and its relation to Lodi. But, you should at least take the time to go visit and discuss the issue and its resolution.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you plan on going to Lodi I would try out Ed, he's on of the best instructors there in my opinion, heres his website.
http://www.northerncaliforniaskydiving.com/

I will second that. He was my AFF instructor and his teaching method made it very easy to comprehend the entire learning process.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

FYI, Lodi & its owner/management has their cheerleaders, and has their detractors. (I happen to be neither.) JP (diablopilot) is and has been one if their detractors on these boards. I offer no opinion as to who is right and who is wrong. I do urge you to try to find objective sources from which to research them.

If you plan on going to Lodi I would try out Ed, he's on of the best instructors there in my opinion, heres his website.
http://www.northerncaliforniaskydiving.com/

+1

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Yes, true enough, but very few DZ's have had their entire fleet of aircraft grounded by the FAA for 4 months.

Are all of the planes back Flying? Did the FAA find any serious/safety violations with the DZ or the aircraft? If the answer is no then whatever point you are trying to make is moot.