GuyMan20

muscle aches after jumping

Bad back problems since I was 19, stretching helps. Build your back muscles, balance balls are awesome. Your theighs I am guessing are from not being use to supporting your body weight during canopy flight. Maybe your leg straps suck.
Stop looking at me

The first 30 to 40 jumps I'd have muscle aches after jumping too. Either don't notice anymore, have gotten tougher, or the problem has indeed gone away.

My best hypothesis: (1) I'm not jumping student gear anymore which is almost always a forced fit and is bound to grab you in some of the wrong places. (2) Smaller canopies seem not to open quite so fast as my old Navigator 260 so maybe a little less shock to the body. (And not a suggestion to downsize faster than need-be here before all the skygods get at me. Definitely not worth being more comfortable if your increasing the odds of hooking it in.)

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but makes sense to me based on my very limited, sub-100 jump, experience.

The first 30 to 40 jumps I'd have muscle aches after jumping too. Either don't notice anymore, have gotten tougher, or the problem has indeed gone away.

My best hypothesis: (1) I'm not jumping student gear anymore which is almost always a forced fit and is bound to grab you in some of the wrong places. (2) Smaller canopies seem not to open quite so fast as my old Navigator 260 so maybe a little less shock to the body. (And not a suggestion to downsize faster than need-be here before all the skygods get at me. Definitely not worth being more comfortable if your increasing the odds of hooking it in.)

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but makes sense to me based on my very limited, sub-100 jump, experience.

#1 yes, ill fitting student gear can cause soreness.
#2 is bullshit. It is not the size of the canopy that dictates opening, but rather the condition of the canopy. Also your lack of experience plays a part. If you are not used to opening shock, it can be painful. On any size canopy.

#1 yes, ill fitting student gear can cause soreness.
#2 is bullshit. It is not the size of the canopy that dictates opening, but rather the condition of the canopy. Also your lack of experience plays a part. If you are not used to opening shock, it can be painful. On any size canopy.

Incorrect? Maybe. "Bullshit"? No. That would imply I'm feeding the OP a bunch of garbage on purpose. I made pretty clear I was guessing and called it a "hypothesis". Maybe I'm hypersensitive but I'd suggest that next time you offer clarification you try not to sound like a condescending asshole.

That said, I'd definitely be interested in how one qualifies this answer. A bigger canopy would catch more air, creating more drag, and bodies in motion will decelerate faster the more drag they have, right? And if so, might that transmit to the jumper *noticing* it a bit more? On the other hand, I've definitely NOT seen the GREAT skydivers at my DZ jumping 80 sq/ft canopies take 3,000 ft to open, either. :D:D:D

Can anyone explain? Thanks and thanks.

As others have mentioned, stretching is important(at least it has been for me). Remember not to bounce (ballistic stretching), and hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds. I've also found that working my "core" seems to pay dividends. Finally, I think landings are key to the way I feel following a day of jumping. If I have some hard landings, even if I'm able to step out of them, my back seems to to bother me a bit for a couple of days.