tfelber

Paraglider launch WAS: Fatality - Ground Launch

Given this incident and all the DANGER...DANGER warnings I've seen in this thread I have a little bit of a sidebar question. I ran across an old paraglider, 1991 breezair 185, if my memory is correct. I have rigged it for launching as a parasail behind a boat. I created a 4 link cutaway system which is held in your teeth so that I can release myself from the boat in the event of a lockout or if once I get to altitude I want to fly on my own. I have talked to several people about this and really didn't get a sense of danger in regards to this idea. I rigged it up about 2-3 years ago, but have not tried to fly it yet.

So now for the question, do you and others on here. given the increased knowledge about this type of flying, see anything I may have disregarded due to my lack of knowledge?

BTW, I have never flown a paraglider. This wing is a non-elipticle, rectangular wing. What should I consider in regards to this?

Thanks and very sorry about your friends incident. Just trying not to make a similar mistake...

Tony

Towing PGs without some kind of tension control device and a reliable release at both ends of the line has proven to be pretty risky.

If you want to learn about towing paragliders here's a great place to start. http://www.towmeup.com/

These guys are pretty cool too: http://cloudstreetwinch.com/