pccoder

Can I get a ruling?

At the Pepsi 400 in Daytona yesterday I witnessed 4 demo jumpers land in the main field in front of the main grandstand, pretty much right in front of us.

The race was delayed a good two hours before starting because of the constant rain we were getting during that same time that the demo jumpers came in.

Doesn't it seem a little unsafe to be doing demo jumps and what looked like 2500 ft hop n pops in such bad weather? I mean the 2nd group jumped with very dark gray clouds all over the place and rain coming down (not strong) but certainly constant. The jumper who carried in the American flag almost had little problem with his landing and slipped and landed on his butt.

Being a skydiver I hate to see our sport be given a bad reputation when we try what seems to be unnecessary risk for the sake of 100,000 rednecks' :P viewing pleasure.

Here is the First parachute to land. It was raining, although the photo doesn't show the rain.

PcCoder.net

Understood, however the rain is the real issue I am talking about.

In fact, my recollection is that there is a certain amount of separation between clouds vertically and horizontally that the pilot must adhere to, and I am thinking given the way it looked last night, that rule was being ignored.

PcCoder.net

2500' hop-and-pops are one of the better ways to do demo jumps.
It's the 2000' hop-and-pops that I don't like.

Agree on that one!

If the winds (because of the storm) were not a factor
and they weren't busting clouds, which is what it sounds like from the description...
~then it was a good demo!B|

They landed where they were supposed to, no one got hurt...Flying / Landing a flag
on a perfect day can be a challenge.

For a high profile demo that that...I'm sure they 'had the airspace' through the tower...
and the pilot would be maintaining his clearences...
Sounds like 4 'pros' to me!:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Understood, however the rain is the real issue I am talking about.

In fact, my recollection is that there is a certain amount of separation between clouds vertically and horizontally that the pilot must adhere to, and I am thinking given the way it looked last night, that rule was being ignored.

The way it looked may have been deceiving; Daytona Intl Airport is directly behind the "superstretch" (backstretch for everyone else) of Daytona Intl Speedway. Any plane there is flying under direct control/observation by the tower; if minimums could not be met, you can be sure that this is one demo that would not have been allowed.

I agree, I thought it sucked for the guy not to be able to land on his feet with the flag, but given the extreme slipperyness of that grass and the drag that huge flag gave I thought he did a fine job.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

>Understood, however the rain is the real issue I am talking about.

Rain in and of itself isn't an issue, unless it's part of a storm. To get technical, if it was a cold front causing the rain, it would probably be a bad idea. A warm front has much milder (but still rainy) weather.

>In fact, my recollection is that there is a certain amount of
> separation between clouds vertically and horizontally that the pilot
> must adhere to . . . .

500 feet below, minimum.

Point to ponder: The way I understand it is that if a pilot is in positively controlled airspace then seperation from clouds can be reduced. (someone let me know if I'm wrong about this) But does the FAA allow the same rule to apply to a jumper? Once he leaves the aircraft then is he in vialation.

Sometimes when you have a storm due to a weak warm front the air is nice and calm if a bit moist. So the rain doesn't really concern me, nor does the fact that he slipped and landed on his butt. The bulk of the crowd probably didn't notice that or even if they dida nd the lkanding was gentle wouldn't think to criticize the jumper. As long as he gets up fast and collects his gear the general public wont catch on to the fact that the landing was less thatn perfect.

Rain in and of itself isn't an issue...

Other than it feels like somebody is stabbing you in the face with icepicks. I think it's because the tops of the raindrops are pointy, eh? ;)

I don't think they had to worry about the rain drops hurting them if they were getting out at 2,500 feet. Not much freefall time going on from there;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think it's because the tops of the raindrops are pointy, eh?

Actually, that is a myth perpetuated by the cartoon shape of raindrops --

It was disproven a long time ago -- once a raindrop is in full flight, it becomes more spherical or flattened on the top. If you see slow motion video of a drop falling from a faucet, you see what I mean -- it becomes more spherical as it falls.

It's the 100-120MPH freefall collisions with the raindrops on your face and arms, they feel like tiny BB pellets or sandblasting, even though they're spherical. They're falling much slower than you are falling, so a 120MPH freefaller will get blasted at 100MPH by the slow 20MPH raindrops.

Okay, okay, I won't be a wiseass...just being nitpicky ;)