4chewnate

Samurai for a 100 jump person

Mike, Sangi is always right. Whether it be wingsuiting, canopies or whatever. Remarkable how much of an expert one can become with 100 jumps. And if you ever forget, just ask him. He'll set you straight.[:/]

As Scott Miller used to tell guys like him, "Best go hurry and do it while you still know everything." :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The biggest mistake here was your friend downsizing TO a fully elliptical canopy.

Anywho, like someone mentioned before, each person is different, with many different variables playing into the equation. The biggest variable, in my opinion, is how frequently he jumps. Some folks acquire 100 jumps in as little as a few months, others in 2+ years. If he's the type that got the 100 jumps in a short time span, then obviously he's got a thirst for the sport and is being very consistent in his canopy (and overall skydiving) skill progression. This would lead me to believe that he is a heads up jumper that, with the correct guidance, would be able to safely learn to fly the canopy he was sold. However, if he's a sporadic jumper, then he isn't going to be on his game and the elliptical might not be right for him.

Secondly, who the hell says that the samurai has a long recovery arc? You must not have a whole lot of experience on said canopy... I've personally owned one, put around 400 jumps on it, and can say that the recovery arc is medium at best. I also have a friend who owned a 105 at a 1.7:1 wing loading and he'll tell you the same thing. Now consider the fact that your little 170lbs friend loading his 150 sam at 1.1 is going to have a shorter recovery arc than a sabre.

So to answer your question: if your friend is a heads-up fellow consistently jumping and has an experienced instructor to give him proper advice, then I would say that he will be fine. If he is not in the position that I just described, then I would say he is on the wrong canopy and would perhaps be better suited on a semi-elliptical like a sabre or safire.

I bought a Samurai after about 175 jumps. It is very sporty. I found myself only jumping when it was windy, so I would have slower landings.. You need fast feet with a Sam. My advice, wait a while longer. Check out a Saffire 2, Pilot or Sabre 2.

Yeah.definitely sporty..ESPECIALLY on no wind days.... the canopy I have now lands slower than my Samurai did... and its 20 SqFt smallerSly

I am just too damn old to run that fast any moreSlySlySly

seriously, you should not have to run out any kanding if you flare correctly, maybe a couple of steps, i fly a JVX loaded at 2.5 now and i cannot remember running out landings, maybe if the landinarea is like sandpaper, but any sort of grass witha good fare, you should be able to slide it out.

as for the samurai thing, i don;t think it is a good idea for anybody with less than 500 to be on a elliptical canopy, i hold back on saying cross braced, as i really beleive all canopies should be or could be cross braced.

there has been numerous debates about wheter tandem canopies should be cross braced, and that argument is just stupid, of course they should be.

The tachnology for deployment sequence is not really up for it yet however and closed noses not only reduce parasitic drag, they slow the opening down.

by slowing the opning down they also slow reinflation and reduce internal pressure if the canopy is loaded lightly.

The crossfire has semi closd nose too nd along with that comes a minimum reccomended wing loading, I saw first hand what happens when a crossfire hits turbulance with (much) less than 1.4 WL - not pretty!

The Samurai was designed to be a high performance canopy for experienced pilots, but that is not to say (with some work on the opeings/slider/nose) that a saffire or sabre or any canopy for that matter would not be improved by adding more structure to the ribs and increasing the lift produced but the top skin surface area of the airfoil. the price would also increase, which i beleive is the main factor.

Just because a canopy has cross braces, does not mean it has to be pointed at the ground and flown aggressivly.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Samurai is not Crossbraced, its Airlocked. Two different concepts completely. I've only got 800 jumps on my Sam and then 350+ on the Jedei before it so I'm still a newbie on the canopy design but its not going to be anything I would ever recommend to a low time canopy pilot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I started flying Samurai's at about 600 jumps. I've cut away a 135,a 120, and a 97. The last one was so terrifying(the reserve had multi line twists). I was determined to fly them with larger wing-suits. A good friend looked at me after the last scary chop and asked me if I'd had enough yet.
I still own my 97 , but rarely fly it. I can fly my sabre 2 almost as hard and have as much fun on it.
Just my .02 cents.
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com