4chewnate

Samurai for a 100 jump person

I was told that at one point Brian Germain would not sell a Samurai to anyone with fewer than 500 jumps.

A friend of mine just bought a Samurai. He only has 100 jumps. He also downsized from 170 to 150.

He was just under one-to-one on the 170.

An instructor sold it to him.

Does this seem OK?

I was told that at one point Brian Germain would not sell a Samurai to anyone with fewer than 500 jumps.

A friend of mine just bought a Samurai. He only has 100 jumps. He also downsized from 170 to 150.

Does this seem OK?

Yeah. You're gonna be fine.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

"And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall
after all it's not easy
banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"

Of course it isn't a good idea. But after saying it the 100th time, and having it ignored the 99th, most people give up.

Does this seem OK?

DUUUUUUDE get video..... seriously.

I used to fly a Samurai... a Signature Series and sold it off to a friend when I downsized. I loved mine.... it always treated me great...well except for the 2 cutaways on it... But that was due to packing excellence... but the video of the one cutaway was awsum. it was sweet video.. the line twists on opening were radical.. and the vieo went from a horizon that was horizontal..... to vertical in the video in less than a second.. with a big OH SHIT.. as I cut it away...

Its an eliptical...... and there is very little margin of error when stuff starts happening... the line twists.... the slider hangup oin the sterring line on one side... yup dive and spin in a heartbeat.

I had six cutaways before those chopsthey dont skeer me ....I am ready to use my reserve;)... practice those EP's and dont screw with it if it decides to take you for a ride.

PLEASE get good video;)

Of course it's not OK. But - you can read up on about 1000 threads on here about this same topic, different HP canopy.

Bottom line, he should not be under an elliptical canopy at 100 jumps...unless as someone already said they did their student jumps on a stiletto (BTW that thread is AWESOME)

Whats worse than an instructor selling him that canopy is the fact that this person now thinks that its OK to fly it and will do so with the type of confidence (hey an Instructor gave this to me!!!!) that has the potential to kill him. I hope it doesn't.

I'm not in the crowd that says you can't fly HP canopy until X jumps or Xbrace until X jumps. I believe it truly depends on your flying skills and your dedication to canopy flight. I've seen/heard of many more experienced (D licensed, 1000+ jumps) people break/kill themselves under HP canopies than 100 jump newbies. However - its probably because most new skydivers get good advice and take the correct path to canopy piloting.

Be safe and have fun. Physics doesn't change. It wasn't too long ago a sabre 1 was radical and a 150 was a death wish.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Does this seem OK?

to me if an instructor goes against the ethics and rules of a manufacturer it is NOT OK, even if the final consumer is very good, safety conscious, gifted, MAd Skillz etc...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Does this seem OK?

if the canopy was "used up" - i.e. needs a reline, has too many holes, fabric worn out, etc., then of course it is OK, instructors need to be able to sell their old gear to someone, what better than a student

its even better if the student told the instructor that he was getting ready to move, that way the impending accident will be at another DZ [:/]
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Does this seem OK?

Ok? No.

What's gonna happen? He'll be just fine until he isn't. It may never come, and god willing it never does. But, possibly not having had a spinner on something less radical, this person may not be...

Fuck it, there are no new lessons here.

Does this seem OK?

Ok so out the person and instructor. Let's hear their side.:S

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Does this seem OK?

Ok? No.

What's gonna happen? He'll be just fine until he isn't. It may never come, and god willing it never does. But, possibly not having had a spinner on something less radical, this person may not be...

Fuck it, there are no new lessons here.

Wow... Wildcard is getting wiser in his old age! ;)

Pretty much right on: he'll be fin till he isn't.
Remster

He's just your average guy out of college. Didn't play sports other than when he was young.

He's in OK shape, nothing special. He's not over weight.

He had never been in an airplane until his first jump.

He made about 50 jumps and then took six months off to finish college. Started back up the first of the year. He makes about 4-5 jumps per weekend. He's been doing front riser approaches and lately some 90s to final. He seems to be turning too high for a swoop.

He jumps a Sabre 2 170. His landings are OK but nothing any better than others with his numbers.

He told me he wanted the Samuari because he heard he could turn lower due to a quicker plane out. I told him that's a bad idea.

I don't know anything about the Samurai because no one jumps one around here. The intructor did not own or jump the canopy.

I was asking because I want to know more about the canopy and maybe give this info to my freind.