gane53

First Cutaway. Jump #5

So here is what happened. Tuesday this week going through my dive flow #5. Everything going well. Lock on at 6000'. Wave off and pull at 5500'. Parachute opens. Look up to do my three S's and I see a not square parachute. Line over on the right side. Grab toggles to give a few pulls. Parachute goes into a hard spin to the right. I pull done on my left toggle to to balance it out. decide this isn't landable. So do what i was taught cutaway and pull the reserve. Look up to see a wonderful yellow canopy square and flyable. WHAT A RUSH! made it down safely landed in the short grass at the dz. Intructor Helped radio me in. I get done and decide i better get back up there. Go through my video everything looked good so we moved on to the 6th jump. Got back on the plane and had a great 6th jump. Everything thinks i am crazy(nonskydivers). I see it as i took what i was taught and applied and cant wait for this weekend to go again. Plus i owe beer i am pretty sure.;)

Plus i owe beer i am pretty sure.;)

Sounds to me like you are unsure and lacking in necessary skills. More in depth and proper training is needed in this vital area of emergency procedures.

:D:P
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

WHAT A RUSH! made it down safely landed in the short grass at the dz.

Ahh!! I get yelled at when I land in the short grass at Spaceland... Now I know how to get away with it!

Thanks!:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Wow! Nice job!! It must be a great feeling to know that you can handle that situation, and have gotten that first one out of the way :) Well done!!

I'm a newb too, no cutaways yet, had a wrapped bridle and first line twists, on jumps 2 and 7, so I figure I'm slowly working up to it ;) just kidding.. but it reassures me to read about students getting early cutaways acomplished, cause you never know when it's coming, could be jump 5 or jump 500!

Anywho, way to go getting right back up there as well. Always good to read about other student jumpers getting those "firsts" and doing what needs to be done! Like you said, not something you *want* to happen, but something that does happen and is good to know you know how to deal with it..

blue skies!!
peace,
robyn
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

So here is what happened. Tuesday this week going through my dive flow #5. Everything going well. Lock on at 6000'. Wave off and pull at 5500'. Parachute opens. Look up to do my three S's and I see a not square parachute. Line over on the right side. Grab toggles to give a few pulls. Parachute goes into a hard spin to the right. I pull done on my left toggle to to balance it out. decide this isn't landable. So do what i was taught cutaway and pull the reserve. Look up to see a wonderful yellow canopy square and flyable. WHAT A RUSH! made it down safely landed in the short grass at the dz. Intructor Helped radio me in. I get done and decide i better get back up there. Go through my video everything looked good so we moved on to the 6th jump. Got back on the plane and had a great 6th jump. Everything thinks i am crazy(nonskydivers). I see it as i took what i was taught and applied and cant wait for this weekend to go again. Plus i owe beer i am pretty sure.;)

Awesome job, man :)

I have yet to have a cutaway. I still go over EP's every time I go to the dz. hopefully when my time comes I handle it with the same skill and confidence you showed :)
__

My mighty steed

I do have to say i owe everything to my instructors who taught me how to react in such occasions. Can't say enough good things about Skydive Spaceland. I am just sad i have to go out of the country and have to take a week off of jumping. Have to pay for those jumps somehow i guess.:)

I do have to say i owe everything to my instructors who taught me how to react in such occasions.

That's the right attitude to have. IMO, your instructor is as deserving of a bottle of booze for saving your life as your rigger is. The hands doing the right thing were yours, but the little voice in your head was your instructor's.

Way to go! My first cutaway was my second solo jump after graduating AFF, definitely gets the heart pumping.

Way to get it out of the way early while you're still pulling above 5k, it's a nice safety buffer knowing you probably had a good stable reserve at a higher altitude than some jumpers pull at.

Plus i owe beer i am pretty sure.

Yes that would be beer. And don't forget the rigger, you owe him/her something too.

Yeah, rigger gets 70 bucks! He/she should buy you beer!
The packer that packed your lineover should get "something" too!

Plus i owe beer i am pretty sure.

Yes that would be beer. And don't forget the rigger, you owe him/her something too.

Yes, you owe your rigger the amount of money it cost to repack the reserve.

I think they're referring to the tradition of buying the rigger who packed the reserve that saved your life, a bottle of something.