MirageSkydiver

Typical NOOOB question

Yayyyyy I have an A license !!!!!!! Now what ? I have to go out and spend 8 grand for decent gear ? I need help, I need to know what's safe and what's decent to get. Is used gear reliable ? I really wish I could get everything I need for about 3 thousand.....
if not I suppose I'll have to continue renting gear for a while..... Oh, and does anyone go to Skydive Houston in Waller ?

There is no rush to spend $8000 on new gear. Most new jumpers start on used equipment. There are several places to find it, including here on dropzone.com. The staff at your DZ can no doubt help you. You will be learning, and downsizing as you go along, so let someone else pay for the new stuff. And there is some good stuff around for $3000.

And congratulations. Keep jumping.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

congrats on the A. i've been calling SDH home for 5+ years. i know alot of people who jump used gear myself included. the rigger who i got my rig from and who dealt in lots of used stuff has since moved on to a different DZ. but there's still lots of jumpers there who can help you find gear. also i you ever want to do a jump look me up. i freefly in bright orange pants but i've always got my belly suit with me too.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

There are several Waller folks who are regulars on here, and more who aren't quite as regular on the forums ... both belly and free flailers. Just show up and let people know you want to jump!!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

congrats on the A. i've been calling SDH home for 5+ years. i know alot of people who jump used gear myself included. the rigger who i got my rig from and who dealt in lots of used stuff has since moved on to a different DZ. but there's still lots of jumpers there who can help you find gear. also i you ever want to do a jump look me up. i freefly in bright orange pants but i've always got my belly suit with me too.

Well, I'm blowing a lot of money on renting their equipment ... I can't help it at all though it's so addicting. I usually go there every saturday and sunday if the weather is doing good. Hope to see you out there..

Farhad

I got a new dolphin container (and yes it is 100% freefly friendly), new saber 2 main, raven 2 reserve, and a cypress 2 that's good for 7 more years for $3500. No need to spend 8 grand on a rig you're going to beat up anyway.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I got a new dolphin container (and yes it is 100% freefly friendly), new saber 2 main, raven 2 reserve, and a cypress 2 that's good for 7 more years for $3500. No need to spend 8 grand on a rig you're going to beat up anyway.

Where do you guys get these mains at??

I've been looking to upgrade my Sabre 2... it sounds like a good choice.

/jackass
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That was a very good deal. I searched for many weeks to find a good rig with a sabre2 190, including posting a want ad, and finally got frustrated and bought new. Your deal was much better!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

I just got my A license in January and got my gear in February. I ended up spending $800 for an old Dolphin container with a reserve, $100 for an Altimaster Galaxy, and $200 for a barely-used belly suit. The only things I bought new were my helmet and a new Cypres, but with the exception of the Sabre 170 I got from an instructor for 300 bucks I got everything else from the classifieds here.

It took a few weeks of looking around, but it can be done for very reasonable sums and, far more importantly, you can get some good, reliable gear. It may not be pretty, but when I slide in on my ass I don't really want to be screwing up a beautiful new rig.

All who are sensible enough to buy used gear owe a debt of gratitude to the uninformed, over-funded noobies who regularly plop down big bucks for new gear with all bells & whistles, then, a few months later, move on to the next Extreeem Sport. This allows people with common sense to get a good deal.