percenter

This Is Not Easy!!

Finally took the Gound Course. Took a while due to schedule conflicts. A couple of days later I took a day off for jump number 4 and did'nt get to jump because it was too "Bumpy"(sucks). Next time I go up i will have more than 30 days since my last tandem..and its been almost 2 months since i started on this mission.

Anyone else had/have a hard time?

Any motivational stories will be greatly appreciated!
"Travel in the direction of your fears"

Dude its taken me a year to get 34 jumps :$

It took my instructor 18 months to get his first 12 jumps, he is now nearing his 11,000th jump.

Learning to skydive is not only a time consuming process but also really farkin expensive, no one expects you to drop everything and finish your AFF this weekend. Take your time, soak it up, hang out at the DZ even when you cant jump and smile, breathe, relax.

I can't remember all the weekends I sat on the ground at the DZ watching clouds or the wind sock do it's funky dance. All which ment I wasn't jumping. Take that time and talk to people,instructors, coaches and pick thier brains. They won't mind.( beer always helps)B|.
This is a great sport. But what makes it great are the people that give without expecting anything in return to help the next generation of skydivers to excell in the sport and stay alive to enjoy many years of great jumps, great friends, great stories and great memories.
Stick with it. You won't be disappointed.

Willy

growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Don't get discouraged. I did the same thing. Got out and did two jumps the weekend of my FJC. Then I had three weeks of bad weather and scheduling conflicts. Last weekend I went out and knocked out nine jumps over the weekend. I would have had more but the weather got in the way. I'm off of the AFF jumps and onto solo's and coach jumps. Had a blast doing my first solo. Hang in there, it'll be worth it.

Shane

I was a terrible student with a drastic spinning problem. As for weahter, well hurricane Katrina made land fall right in the middle of my AFF progresion. So yeah, it took me 15 jumps and over 6 months, but I graduated AFF and now I teach it. Hang in there, it will all work out.

Same situation here, i just moved to Alaska which has only 1 DZ and with only a 5 month jumping season on top of summer weather that changes at the drop of a hat. Got 2 jumps in the day after my ground school a month ago, none since then. Hang in there!

Such a beautiful state. Hard place to try and pursue a weather dependent sport.
__

My mighty steed

I made a tandem on a TG break in college and was hooked. I then drove to a DZ in nor cal 120 miles away every day for 11 or 12 days straight intending to do big things and get my license while home over winter break. I literally spent 2 weeks driving to and from the DZ to watch clouds go by. I made one AFF jump in that time.

Went back to school and drove 250 miles each way every weekend to a DZ for the next two years til i graduated college and moved :)

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Hey there,

I'm glad to read about this because now I know I'm not alone! I have a 3 hour ONE WAY trip to the nearest DZ and therefore have only jumped 16 times in one year. (It was closed over winter). I did 4 jumps last month but darnit, was all unstable on my last two 10 second delays, busting my altitude and flunking that jump but redoing it well enough last Sunday to pass. I am still unstable and didn't stop rotating around on this last jump but had to pull anyway since I didn't want to bust the altitude again.

The others are giving great advice, just do your best to jump as much as you can each month and keep your head up. Even if it takes forever, just think about this. Even makeup jumps are super awesome and this is such an incredible thing to do: we are skydivers! We do what EVERYONE wishes they could (fly) so take heart, keep your spirits up, and we'll all get there eventually.

I WAS going to jump tomorrow but have a huge and confusing online assignment due....hopefully I can jump this weekend.

SKIandSKY

It took me a year. Looking back, I don't regret it.

Soon enough you will be jumping by yourself without someone there to mitigate your mistakes.

When I wasn't at the DZ cursing the wind gods, I was reading anything I could about the sport. Safety articles, piloting, packing, gear and how it works, etc, etc.

It made me a better skydiver.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts