DHolland

Why Do You Skydive? (Psychology)

I started for the thrill. I stayed for the joy. :)

+1 and bc its a bliss during every skydive even during the ride to altitude. It gives me such peace and when I'm progressing on something I have been working on and it clicks it is such an amazing feeling. More than any other sport I have been invloved in. I used to think climbing was it for me until I found skydiving. Besides climbing rocks is a lot of effort :D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I skydive as a personal test as to my Bravery and Courage. I also wanted to freefall and had to 'scratch' that itch. I like the views, nervous fear waiting to jump, and the wind rush on the way down. I have faith in those that have jumped before me, proving it can be done ok.

I skydive because I enjoy the intensity of both the mental and physical preparation and progression involved, because it's a chellenge, because it allows me to be completely in the moment.. I enjoy pushing boundaries and doing things that are out of the ordinary; I've never been one to take the typical paths in life. I skydive because I would rather take some risks (yes risk is relative, not planning to take any crazy stupid risks, though it's been done in my past) than to live in fear, and because as a student and a full time mama, with all the demands of the world and society we live in, it is key for me to have something that is all mine, that brings me joy and that pushes me to new heights and continual improvement within myself. It gives me something to look forward to.

Also, I love the camraderie and social atmosphere of connecting with others in the sport, who may or may not have similar motives, but I do feel there is overlap.

Interestingly enough, I always knew I would want to progress and get my license, before having ever jumped. My tandem was simply done because it was required to get on with the real deal. I like the continuity of knowing jumping will always be there, that I will continue to improve, and that this is a sport I can pursue throughout my life.

I guess I also like pushing past my personal fears and limits -within reason- and overcoming that voice in your head that tells you you're insane and better not get out that door.. lol.. I am all about intention, I like training my mind for positivity, and making educated decisions to trust in my gear, self, instructors, and just do it!

And it is pretty entertaining when people think you are crazy, but on the other hand, I really don't want people to think I am crazy lol, so I do often try to educate people on the realities of skydiving and have helped a couple people get over that obstacle and make their first jump.. that is an awesome feeling!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Skydivers don't like being prodded like lab rats.

Or you could just choose not to participate and move on instead of spewing your negative attitude at the OP.

Last time I checked, you don't speak for every skydiver who reads these forums. Judging by all of the responses to the original post, I would say I am not the only user here that holds that opinion.
Arrive Safely

John

I've always wanted to, ever since I was five years old and my dad told me what a parachute is. He made me a toy with some plastic, string, and a clothes pin. I was hooked right then and there. Watching "Ripcord" on Friday night TV (1962) only made matters worse.

Skydiving has always been a release from the stress, boredom, and conformity of ordinary living. It's just too beautiful not to jump. I took a break for 22 years, but had to come back because I missed it and life was getting me down. Skydiving brought back something powerful and beautiful. My wife says it's given her back the man she first fell in love with (so there...).

Some people tell me they're surprised that I jump. They say I'm a very quiet, "reasonable", laid back kind of a citizen. It's the one place I can cut loose.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I'm a smart guy haha; able to multi task pretty well--but also easily side-tracked. No matter what I'm doing I always seem to have other stuff on my mind--except when jumping.

It's the only thing I've ever done that requires my complete and total attention. In a skydive I'm not thinking about my job, my family, my dog, or what's for dinner. It's complete and total escape. The existential singularity of the moment is why I jump.

I'm a smart guy haha; able to multi task pretty well--but also easily side-tracked. No matter what I'm doing I always seem to have other stuff on my mind--except when jumping.

It's the only thing I've ever done that requires my complete and total attention. In a skydive I'm not thinking about my job, my family, my dog, or what's for dinner. It's complete and total escape. The existential singularity of the moment is why I jump.

Interesting side note on that actually.. and I can definitely relate. As a mother, I am pretty much *always* thinking of my son to some extent, somewhere in my brain (well, I am usually with him, but even if I am not my conscious mind is operating in a way that takes him into account).

Skydiving is the one time (of course, as long as I know that I have made plans both to ensure his happiness/safety on the ground, and mine in the air) that I am not in mom-mode. As you say, it is that singularity of purpose and consciousness.

And I don't think that's bad, and I'm not ashamed to admit that-- even though many people hold double standards for moms and dads, and think moms should sacrifice everything for their kids and think about them every second of every day.. I love my son more than anything, but I fully acknowledge this mental shift, and would be worried if I couldn't shift into that mind-state, actually. I fact, I think I would be a pretty *unsafe* skydiver if I couldn't shut that mom-mode off after making appropriate childcare arrangements pre-jump.

The only extent to which it creeps in on a skydive is simply my own need to be thorough and safe, in large part because I know my son needs me alive and well, but other than that I cannot be in parent-mode.. (and actually that mind-state, while for me motivated in large part by motherhood, is also something that hopefully non-parents also have, with any number of strong reasons to be safety-conscious and want to survive the jump in one piece!)

Quite honestly there have been a couple times (sometimes kiddo's with grandparents at their house and not at the dz with mama, but when he is at the dz i mean) where i get down onto the ground after jumping and landing and am actually vaguely surprised to see him there.. it's an odd feeling, that moment of shifting back into that mode.. and it's usually a pretty joyful feeling, I'm always thrilled to see him and all after a jump, but it does feel weird to have that split second where it kicks in and your whole mind-state gets jolted back to earth..

I know that sounds weird and I promise am not a crappy mother, but I just thought of that reading your post- from the moment I "transfer responsibility" to whoever is watching my son while I jump and go off with my instructor to prep and gear up and go over dive flow and all, to the seconds after I successfully land and start gathering up the canopy and lines and all, I have to completely put my role as someone's mother out of my head in the immediate sense (again, still taking into account the safety aspect and the fact that it is for a very temporary and distinct reason and time period).
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I often ask myself this same question...although strangely nobody ever asks me.

My dad and brother did it but didn't stick with it. I waited for friends to do it with me but they never did.

I had a high school student (I was a teacher) who said she wanted to do it. I thought about that and then did a tandem one month later.

Skydivers just look so cool. It's so extreme. It's awe inspiring. I stand out from all the overweight boring people around me. I like being different in crazy ways.

It IS beautiful on the ride up. I really do smile for a week afterwards. Everyone who does it is super friendly. It's the most challenging thing I've ever done.

I think it will keep me young. I know I am addicted.

Because I have to do it to look cool. I have to do it to BASE jump later.

I have more going on now at age 35 than I did when I was 21.

I don't want to end up like a former coworker: 22 years old and ALL he talks about is when he played football in high school. He has no dreams, only memories. WE LIVE OUR DREAMS!

S&S

I learned how to bowl from watching the Flintstones, and formed the habit of throwing the ball too hard. Despite repeated warnings, I just couldn't help doing it. One day the owner of the bowling ally had enough and gave me the 'skydiving speech.'
But what do I know?