DHolland

Why Do You Skydive? (Psychology)

Because life short. I've seen, and still do see as we all do, too many people get to the latter stages of life having accomplished nothing, wishing they would've done things differently - done the things they wanted to do. We're all going to die sometime, and even if we die at a grand old age, it still aint that far away. Our existence is nothing but a tiny little spec in the grand scheme of things and serves only as a way to continue life on this planet, so I'm more than happy to risk my life to do something special that makes me appreciate exactly what I have right now, and what little time I still have left. Its something that going to the pub every weekend with mates to spend all my wages and get drunk only to forget what happened the night before can't give me.

Because life short. I've seen, and still do see as we all do, too many people get to the latter stages of life having accomplished nothing, wishing they would've done things differently - done the things they wanted to do. We're all going to die sometime, and even if we die at a grand old age, it still aint that far away. .

:oHEY fucker...you callin' me OLD!?!? :P:ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Because life short. I've seen, and still do see as we all do, too many people get to the latter stages of life having accomplished nothing, wishing they would've done things differently - done the things they wanted to do. We're all going to die sometime, and even if we die at a grand old age, it still aint that far away. .

:oHEY fucker...you callin' me OLD!?!? :P:ph34r:;)

Yeh but at least you've done something fun in your life :PB|

How many times have you been asked "How was your jump?" on the ground? and how many times have you honestly said "Bad"? Without many jumps my experience may not warrant much truth but talking around people it's been very rare to here that a jump wasn't fun. And it's not just the jumping that makes me so happy, for the next at least half hour/hour after a jump I'm the happiest person on the planet.

Also for me jumping holds a sentimental value, my Dad passed away when I was 6. He was a jumper, airshow, air race, and helicopter saw pilot who was my absolute hero. I understood more about him as a person when I got my pilots license but understood even more about him when I started jumping.

and a cool picture. I didn't try to recreate it but a friend showed me a pic after I landed and immediately I thought about the other one. I put them together and it's a decent match.

When I'm in a skydive, it's the ONLY thing I'm doing. I'm there 100%, no side thoughts or distractions. I'm completely in the moment.

I get the same thing in martial arts and rock climbing. But it's different as there are others there too sharing that same thing.

I'm easily distracted in about every other thing I do, like here at work, I sometimes can't seem to stay o

Perfectly said.
Similar to what i feel when i'm riding a bike really fast, or fly a paraglider, climb...

There's nothing else in those moments, no everyday problems......oh shit, line twist!!!
facebook.com/trig78

The chics, why else??????:PB|

What Chicks?!! i must be jumping in the wrong places!!

When I'm in a skydive, it's the ONLY thing I'm doing. I'm there 100%, no side thoughts or distractions. I'm completely in the moment.

I get the same thing in martial arts and rock climbing. But it's different as there are others there too sharing that same thing.

i skydive because you can truly escape in the moment! They say that you feel the most alive, when you are close to death, although Skydiving is fundamentally safe, i still feel that you only have one life, why not experience all aspects of it!!?
Caution: Hard sruface 15'000ft

I feel bad for most of the people who have posted that for only 50 to 60 seconds nothing else matters, come do a CRW jump and get 10 minutes of zen. Plus you get to fondle some nylon and dacron. Since I learned to fly as a teenager before skydiving flying CRW is the best way I know to really feel alive and one with your canopy. Just like in freeflying you have to work on 3 dimensions and requires so much thought and concentration that when it goes well it is so refreshing. Not to mention that during those ten minutes there is no one bitching at you why you don't pay attention to them enough.

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it

I believe I have a heart condition.
Skydiving is medication that, I believe, makes my heart ticking on and on and so on
What goes around, comes later.

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it

Because after 6 years of competition diving, many years of cliff diving, 13 years of high level competition gymnastics, what else is there??????
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I didnt feel too crazy the first time I ever jumped, because that was not a perfectly good airplane. It was a really crappy airplane and I liked the idea of bailing out with a parachute a lot better than staying in that thing any longer than I had to.

It was one of those Cessna 150s at a small DZ just outside of Tucson...cant believe I actuallly went up in that thing....that was the scary part...getting out was a relief.

A lot of the answers fit me to a certain degree, but I haven't seen my real answer yet.

Because I can fly.

Admittedly it's more of a "plummet" than actual flying, but it sure feels like flying. Just like in my dreams. Just like so many have dreamed for so long.

It feels like really flying so much more than piloting the plane.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A lot of the answers fit me to a certain degree, but I haven't seen my real answer yet.

Because I can fly.

Admittedly it's more of a "plummet" than actual flying, but it sure feels like flying. Just like in my dreams. Just like so many have dreamed for so long.

It feels like really flying so much more than piloting the plane.

Get a wingsuit! That's why I started skydiving, and the more I do it, the more it feels like flying.
But what do I know?

I'm comming back from an ijury and a divorce to a woman who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. Ever since the moment she left me all i could think of was taking that short step off the long ride.
I jump and I will continue to jump because it's the only time I find peace. It brings me closer to the universe.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

... to be accompanied by a relatively quiet canopy ride.

Sounds like you need to start doing some CRW. :-)
:)
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)