DHolland

Why Do You Skydive? (Psychology)

I don't really remembering not wanting to; it's a piece of me. I had to choose between a cool-looking first jump certificate and a logbook, and I took the logbook.

Sometimes it's a big piece, and sometimes it's a small piece of me. But it's always there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ive heard many reasons over the years including the thrill junky stuff, but I personally do it because I find it relaxing and peaceful. Makes my weak go better.

The above x 1000.

A good jump is one of the most calming and joyous things I can do. I've had a few times since I first started that were really rough on me. The emotional pain gave way to bliss each time I hopped out.

I guess it's a combination of a few factors: The overwhelming beauty of the view; the fact that for the next minute, literally nothing matters but your jump and the safety of those in the air, the cleanness of the air, and often the looks of joy on the faces of others on the jump.

I am left at peace with everything.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

Because its like flying like a bird or falling like a rock.

The 3 forms of flight (plane ride, freefall, parachute ride) are so different than anything else.

I decided it would be more fun to skydive than to try to be an astronaut.

It's as good as or better than sex.

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it.

Because I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

I have 9 jumps now, started out to prove to myself I could do it. I was always scared of heights and thought that this would be the ultimate test.

That was before, now I jump because of the intense feelings before, during and after the jump. Nervousness, intense concentration, the freedom of falling, the sense of accomplishment when back on the ground.

I also look around and see that people with really high jump numbers have that same stupid grin after a jump that i know I have. :)

When I'm in a skydive, it's the ONLY thing I'm doing. I'm there 100%, no side thoughts or distractions. I'm completely in the moment.

I get the same thing in martial arts and rock climbing. But it's different as there are others there too sharing that same thing.

I'm easily distracted in about every other thing I do, like here at work, I sometimes can't seem to stay o

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I do it because of the sense of accomplishment I feel every time I touch my feet down on the earth after falling 14,000 feet. The fact that I feel more acutely aware in freefall and almost as if time slows down during that 50-60 second ride to be accompanied by a relatively quiet canopy ride. Its the culmination of all your senses becoming overloaded and purged all within a short period of time.

I jump because it puts my life back into perspective – it returns a sense of awe and childlike wonder and brilliant color to a world too frequently tainted by the grayness of disillusionment. All of the little problems in life take a silent backseat as soon as the door opens – as others have said, literally nothing else matters once you hop out of that door. It’s one of the few times when your life is truly and completely in your own hands, when every action has an instant consequence (whether good or bad). Skydiving is as close to a state of Zen as I’ve ever managed – I’m totally and completely in the moment, utterly unselfconscious, and for those five minutes from Door to Ground, the world is only sky, and life is freedom.

Skydiving is overcoming the most basic of physiological fears to experience a beauty and peace of which humans for millennia have dreamed and which so very few have actually achieved. Every skydive is for me a re-affirmation of how I wish I could live every moment of my life – with wonder and awe and beauty and peace.

Skydiving brings me a couple miles closer to the FSM.

All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster!:)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it.

Because I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living.

When I'm in a skydive, it's the ONLY thing I'm doing. I'm there 100%, no side thoughts or distractions. I'm completely in the moment.

I get the same thing in martial arts and rock climbing. But it's different as there are others there too sharing that same thing.

I'm easily distracted in about every other thing I do, like here at work, I sometimes can't seem to stay o

These are my two biggest reasons, and have been said perfectly.