DHolland

Why Do You Skydive? (Psychology)

Hey Guys (And Girls),
Its been a while since I have been on here due to my lack of money to skydive. Now that I am graduating I am soon going to have the funds to get recurrent.

Anyway, I have a big paper due for school and I am doing it on skydiving. Basically I am trying to do an article that explains why people jump from a psychological perspective.

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it.

Thank You All,
Dennis

John,
Thank you for your advice, trust me I have been spending hours going over internet databases for actual research articles.

I realized there was a whole community here that could help me out so I spontaneously posted.
I'll search.

If anyone doesn't feel like I am probing them like a lab rat and doesn't mind repeating themselves I would appreciate it.

-Dennis

I skydive because there is nothing else that makes life as entertaining. I have done many things that are thrill seeking, Sportbikes, Skateboarding halfpipes, Snowboarding, Skiing, racing dirtbikes (all at the Expert type level) and nothing compares to the OMG I am about to get out of this airplane.

To tell you the truth, the only thing that does compare as an adrenalin rush for me is walking up to a strange girl in the bar and striking up the conversation in order to get her home.

So I jump for that rush, to be free, to fly, to be limitless for 60 seconds. The greatest thing I can say is that I save my own life.

I have been to the war zones, been shot at, mortared, rocketed, driven through downtown Baghdad, and Ramadi during those times that they were extremely nasty and while those things put my life in danger, it was not the same as it is to be in the comfort realm of safety - skydiving
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

It's relaxing. No matter what you have going on in your life, none of it matters when you are skydiving. You need to focus on what you are doing, you don't have time to worry about life's little problems.

Also, the skydiving community is great, even if we are a little out there sometimes.

And most importantly, its a lot of fun.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

To tell you the truth, the only thing that does compare as an adrenalin rush for me is walking up to a strange girl in the bar and striking up the conversation in order to get her home.

And then you find out it's a man, and the adrenaline really kicks in! :o

Why do I skydive?? Cuz I like the look that I get from people when they find out that I throw myself out of a "perfectly good airplane":o And I think that I have been called CRAZY more times in the past few months since I started skydiving than I have in the past 24 yearsB|

Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Low self-esteem.

I mean, look at the fellas: grey haired, overweight, beer belly, yellow teeth. They certainly ain't going to score a 19-yr old hottie. What's left to do?....

Hey Guys (And Girls),
Its been a while since I have been on here due to my lack of money to skydive. Now that I am graduating I am soon going to have the funds to get recurrent.

Anyway, I have a big paper due for school and I am doing it on skydiving. Basically I am trying to do an article that explains why people jump from a psychological perspective.

If you could post any reason as to why you jump I would really appreciate it.

Thank You All,
Dennis

I skydive because I don't care for how I feel when I don't.

That's pretty much nails it for me too...

Peeling the onion one more layer, I think I do it because it's a physical and mental acuity exercise with immediate and very real consequential reward regarding both success & failure.

I remember in college listening to football coaches preach about how that sport is a 'lesson in life'...work hard, stay sharp & focused, be prepared for anything and carry that confidence.

I was an static-line Instructor back then, and I use to chuckle to myself every-time I'd hear that speech, thinking...

Yeah, if ya don't do all that stuff, Heck, you could maybe...'lose a GAME' ;)

The challenge and the payoff become a part of you and like DSE, I don't like how I feel when I don't fill/feel that. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I skydive because I don't care for how I feel when I don't.

+1

Peeling the onion one more layer, I think I do it because it's a physical and mental acuity exercise with immediate and very real consequential reward regarding both success & failure.

I remember in college listening to football coaches preach about how that sport is a 'lesson in life'...work hard, stay sharp & focused, be prepared for anything and carry that confidence.

+1

Since I started skydiving every weekend, I don't see my non-skydiving friends anymore; I see friends at the DZ more often than I do anyone else. So if I don't skydive, I have no one to hang with because they gave up on me having a free weekend to do things with them. :)

I like it for the challenge. I don't do it for the thrill anymore, but to know that you can learn something new on every single jump, try to do it right the next time and immediately reap the rewards of your efforts. It is a very validating feeling.