motomike

USPA and July issue.

>What makes even less sense to me is that they put that same flag
>shot on the last page of the magazine instead of the cover.

They did that because they thought they were both great pictures, but the flag shot fit better on the format provided by the last pages. They would have had to do a lot of cropping to fit that on the cover; it would have lessened the impact of the picture.

>What makes even less sense to me is that they put that same flag
>shot on the last page of the magazine instead of the cover.

They did that because they thought they were both great pictures, but the flag shot fit better on the format provided by the last pages. They would have had to do a lot of cropping to fit that on the cover; it would have lessened the impact of the picture.

I disagree, the mock up of it on the poll website looked fine to me. Was it an ideal format for the cover? No it isn't. Could it still be used in spite of the format and make a good cover? Most definitely IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

>Was it an ideal format for the cover? No it isn't. Could it still be used in
>spite of the format and make a good cover? Most definitely IMO.

Right, that was my point. They went for the best possible cover instead of the more politically correct cover, which turned out to be an unpopular decision.

but the cover should showcase the association that puts it out -- in this case, USpa.

------------------------------------------------------------

is the brit a member of the uspa?

Again, the point is, the cover is a SPECIAL page, it should showcase the association, and that means the FLAG jump, not some nondescript anonymous uspa member doing a nondescript jump. Those shots are for inside the magazine....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

but the cover should showcase the association that puts it out -- in this case, USpa.

------------------------------------------------------------

is the brit a member of the uspa?

Again, the point is, the cover is a SPECIAL page, it should showcase the association, and that means the FLAG jump, not some nondescript anonymous uspa member doing a nondescript jump. Those shots are for inside the magazine....

ok

best possible cover

Well, that's your subjective opinion. Obviously, not everyone agrees with you....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

But you look like a bunch of jack asses if your the USpa and you poll your readers if they made the right choice NOT to put the American flag on the July cover.

Okay. I guess you'd prefer they not ask what members prefer. Isn't lack of communication with the membership what people here always bitch about? Now the staff has been making an extra effort to reach out to the membership, and they get slammed for that. One wonders if perhaps people in cyberspace have nothing better to do than bitch about stupid shit.

- Dan G

I would never call being patriotic stupid....but to each their own...

I think its also called a discussion board?

patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels and your goverment(the scoundrels) has done a great job instilling this over the top patriotism in you (you plural not you personally)

That great to have a alien bitch about patriotism...

Thats because you left your country...
It has nothing to do with govt either....It has to do with my family and my brothers who have died for your dumb ass to sit here on a pc and tell me its my brain washing that supports my govt.

I love my country but fear my govt.

I would never call being patriotic stupid....but to each their own...

There's a difference between being patriotic and being a jingoistic, knee-jerk nationalist who thinks that everything that doesn't have flags all over it is anti-American.

They put the flag picture in as the closing shot, and then asked the readers if they would have prefered it on the cover. And for their efforts, a bunch of keyboard warriors call them anti-American.

Get a life.

- Dan G

I think what I said was the cover should represent the association -- in a positive way. If that is a flag jump, fine. If it is a record jump, fine. If it is a performance at a local, national or international competition, fine. It could be a demo shot. It could be a raft jump with someone flying the flag. It could be a jump into a remote corner of the country or world, as long as it is association members and is a jump that has some meaning. There are many possibilities. It should showcase and have some concrete tie to the association.

I think what I said was the cover should represent the association -- in a positive way. If that is a flag jump, fine. If it is a record jump, fine. If it is a performance at a local, national or international competition, fine. It could be a demo shot. It could be a raft jump with someone flying the flag. It could be a jump into a remote corner of the country or world, as long as it is association members and is a jump that has some meaning. There are many possibilities. It should showcase and have some concrete tie to the association.

The jumper in the cover photo is a USPA member, and it's a cool shot. IMO, not every cover shot needs to be newsworthy. Some covers are picked just because they are great shots, and they are a good format for the cover. The flag shot was an okay picture, and would have been made worse by cropping to fit the cover requirements.

The fact that Parachutist chose to include it as the closing picture shows that they are not "un-American". The fact that they chose to ask the membership what they thought shows they are not elistist or out of touch.

And the fact that people still feel the need to bitch about any of this shows that people will bitch about anything, as long as they themselves never have to lift a finger and do anything constructive.

- Dan G

I never said you couldn't express your opinion. I just think your opinion is completely fucking stupid, worthless, and a waste of time.

Yes, it's a discussion board, and your contribution to the discussion is criticizing Parachutist for trying to have a discussion with its readers. Who's the hypocrite hero again?

- Dan G

>>best possible cover

>Well, that's your subjective opinion. Obviously, not everyone agrees with you....

Sorry, should have said "aesthetically the best cover." As others have mentioned, there are other considerations (political, emotional etc.)