JimGoFast

Beer Board Rules...

Okay, so I need some global consensus here. We have some fellows at the DZ that have some conflicting views on the "Beer Board" infractions. I need some opinions here to help clarify the rules as the skydive community see's them ;)

Viewpoint 1:
Every skydive jump number ending in "00" or "000" is not only a pie, but also a case of beer.

Viewpoint 2:
Every skydive jump number ending in "00" up to 300 is a case of beer, and only the first time you hit "000". A pie is in order for any "00" or "000" though.

I'm leaning towards Viewpoint 1 myself. Said buddy is leaning towards Viewpoint 2...Gee go figure he has about 800+ jumps.

So with that where do you stand? Viewpoint 1 or 2?
Just Enjoy The Ride...

I'd go with neither. At most, every time you go to a new order of magnitude (i.e. 100, 1000, 10000, etc) it's beer and/or pie.

But if you go with a pie for every jump ending in 00, that means not only until 1000, but 1100, 1200, 1300, etc. Even 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. is pushing it for a lot of people.

No one will ever put up with that. Ever. Only a girlfriend or boyfriend, and only if you promise to lick it off them very slowly.

Anyway if folks are keeping up with their beer obligations (which means buying it periodically just to share), it's kind of a non-issue.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Okay, so I need some global consensus here. We have some fellows at the DZ that have some conflicting views on the "Beer Board" infractions. I need some opinions here to help clarify the rules as the skydive community see's them ;)

Viewpoint 1:
Every skydive jump number ending in "00" or "000" is not only a pie, but also a case of beer.

Viewpoint 2:
Every skydive jump number ending in "00" up to 300 is a case of beer, and only the first time you hit "000". A pie is in order for any "00" or "000" though.

I'm leaning towards Viewpoint 1 myself. Said buddy is leaning towards Viewpoint 2...Gee go figure he has about 800+ jumps.

The plain un-varnished truths regarding the beer rules are simple.

1) If you convince someone to buy beer, it will be consumed.

2) If you cannot convince someone to buy beer, some may go thirsty.

It is the un-stated responsibility of all those who drink beer to maximize the occurrence of 1), above.

Regarding pies - if/when you hit a person with a pie, if it tastes good, you won't be hated as much as when it tastes bad.

Viewpoint 1:

Viewpoint 2:

It is the un-stated responsibility of all those who drink beer to maximize the occurrence of 1), above.

Regarding pies - if/when you hit a person with a pie, if it tastes good, you won't be hated as much as when it tastes bad.

haha...yeah I like the logic thus far. So forgetting about the Pie, lets just focus on Beer...after all that's what's important here :)
Just Enjoy The Ride...

I agree with Wendy. Every 100 seems a little excessive, even to a low-timer. I think one every order of magnitude seems more reasonable. For the record, I bought a case for numbers 100, 200, and 300. I let 400 pass quietly, but I'll probably bring a case out soon, anyway, since I like beer.

-Dennis

Historically around these parts, case of beer owed for 100, 200, 300, ... 900, then a keg of beer for 1000. No beer owed for jump numbers after that, but "good guy" beer is appreciated (and often received) every 1000 jumps. Pies at 1000, 2000, etc. However, case of beer still owed for "firsts".

Havent had a beer in 14 years. Not gonna buy any for anyone else either.

I'll buy a case of root beer, but that's as close as I'll get. :)
got pied at 100 jumps and none since. I'm in agreement with the orders of magnitude option. 100, 1000, 10000
__

My mighty steed

First off regarding pie:

100, 500, 1000, and every thousand after that.

Regarding beer:

Every 100 till after 500, then 1000, and every thousand after that.

Additionally, whenever the "first" rule is applied. That damn f word!
T.S.S # 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiya' slo-poke,
First off search the forums for "Beer," "Beer Rules," "Pie," "Pie Rules" and "Jungle Rules!!" In about two weeks when ya' get finished reading everything, you will know. In my book, the only hard and fast "Beer Rules" are a Case if you drop your "Main" Ripcord (unless you had a malfunction) and not really applicable today unless you jump really old gear and #2, a Case for your "SCR Jump!!" and ya' better make sure everyone on the load gets a beer before the freeloaders as some won't sign off your SCR form unless you fill their fist with a "Cold Beer!!" All other "rules" are "Fluff!" Now if ya' just like beer and want to celebrate something or just for the heck of it buy a case, "Cool Beans!!"

As for "pie" I'm not a proponent of the curse.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

> In my book, the only hard and fast "Beer Rules" are a Case if you drop your "Main" Ripcord

In my book, the only hard and fast rule is "if you can talk a newbie into buying beer, it's a Beer Rule."

Hey, that's about what I said.

Nice to know we can agree sometimes.:)

It's awesome to see all the different opinions. I think it's high time that we set some guidelines at my home DZ to clear things up.

I don't like the Pie thing...too damn messy and I HATE washing it out of my goggles and altimeter for sure.

Thanks for all the input guys and gals!:)

Just Enjoy The Ride...

#2, a Case for your "SCR Jump!!" and ya' better make sure everyone on the load gets a beer before the freeloaders as some won't sign off your SCR form unless you fill their fist with a "Cold Beer!!"

2 Cases... one to drink, one to wear ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't like beer. :|

flame away...

+1

I dont drink it, I dont buy it. Unless she is cute, of age, and asks me to nicely. (buy it that is)

I dont drink either, but our DZ has a swap system, 1 beer for 2 softdrinks (soda) so if someone puts on a case i grab a beer say thank you and congrats to the case buyer and then swap it over for some softdrink.
Consequently when i infringe i buy beer
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So our DZ is the same...

If you don't drink or aren't of age to purchase Beer, we ask that you buy a case of premium Root Beer.

If you are of age, we mandate that if you buy a case of Coors light, or PBR, or Miller, that you drink that piss water. Consequently if you purchase Fat Tire, Hef, Sierra Nevada, Rogue or any other premium beer you have full choice of the beer in the fridge.

This keeps the freeloaders from buying cases of crap and drinking the good stuff....It also seems to have boosted the quality overall of the beer in the fridge lately since nobody "prefers" to drink the low end when there's a choice ;)

All in all I think our DZ is on target with the rules as it pertains to Beer Board Infractions...

Just Enjoy The Ride...

Here's the way I understand it.

BEER RULES
An unwritten law, one as immutable and irrefutable as gravity and backed by history, states that skydivers enjoy the drinking of beer almost as much as flight itself.
A manifestation of this fact is the tradition of the buying by an individual skydiver a case of beer (that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance) for his or her fellow jumpers to celebrate the accomplishment of a particular feat or milestone in one's jump career.
It is generally recognized that the buying and drinking of such beer enhances that common bond shared by skydivers and contributes greatly to the body of knowledge concerning parachuting and its related activities.
It is a sad fact that some skydivers are ignorant of what constitutes a significant achievement (usually and henceforth referred to as a "first"). Equally sad is the fact that some unscrupulously thirsty jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer out of a jumper for an inauspicious event.
Recognizing this, the following happenings are to be regarded as suitable occasions for buying beer. This list is not to be construed as exhaustive.
First jump (It is not required of students. They are simply encouraged to participate).
If more than one first is accomplished on a single jump, only one case of beer is required.
Participation is voluntary. If a skydiver chooses not to participate by buying, neither shall the skydiver enjoy the fruits of the accomplishments of others.
Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers.
It is generally recognized that using a reserve parachute for the purpose of saving one's worthless, non-packing self from a gory death requires him to buy the saving rigger dinner or the bottle of liquor of his choice.
These articles are ironclad and binding. For the price of an additional six-pack, a sniveling skydiver may enlist the services of an S & TA to represent him or her in a hearing where the committee will rule against that skydiver a second time.
Completing the student course of instruction
First four way
First eight way
First CRW
First time in the peas
First night jump
First kiss pass
First competition
First water jump
First naked jump
First jump on your own pack job
First dead center (measured by a judge or electronic scoring pad on a three or five cm disc)
First jump on a new main or new rig (purchased, not borrowed)
Any license, award, rating, or badge
Getting your name or photo in "Parachutist" Magazine
Gross safety violations not resulting in serious injury or death
Any jump ending in "00"
First cutaway/reserve ride
First jump from an aircraft not normally used at home drop zone
First jump at a new drop zone
First demo jump
First save (you riggers thought you were getting off easy)
Vomiting in the airplane or on another skydiver
First round canopy jump (Geez, used to be the other way around)
First broken bone
First camera jump
First helicopter jump